Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

4 minutes ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

This thread never disappoints 😂

3 hours ago I posted about a signing rumour (ie what the thread is about) regarding another striker and since then there is almost 3 pages of posts about the fans forum. There is another thread for that 🙄

Do we need him ? Would be a good signing but that’s 5 strikers that will all be expecting to start, maybe Fondop is happy on the bench. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

Do we need him ? Would be a good signing but that’s 5 strikers that will all be expecting to start, maybe Fondop is happy on the bench. 

Depends on the formation I guess. Nuttall and Fondop play the centre, Reid, Hope and Willoughby will or can play wide. One extra striker seems no bad thing for strength in depth. 

16 minutes ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

This thread never disappoints 😂

3 hours ago I posted about a signing rumour (ie what the thread is about) regarding another striker and since then there is almost 3 pages of posts about the fans forum. There is another thread for that 🙄

l'd be very suprised if we are in for a 5th (6th?) striker

5 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Would be an excellent signing, boosting our options and spoiling it for what are perceived to be our closest rivals. Bearing in mind Willoughby is promising but unproven at this level and Fondop might end up banned for 6/7 games if the red mist resurfaces!

Seriously, could be a cracking move. You can never have too many players who get you goals. 

2 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

You can never have too many players who get you goals. 

not true. one or two will inevitably start sulking about lack of game time and they become toxic in the dressing room. five players for one ir two spots is too many in division 5.

I’d much rather have grumbles about competition than no competition. 

If we play 3 up front that’s 7 (including Dallas) to choose from, which covers for injuries and loss of form. And Hope could move on.

Edited by Crusoe

Chesterfield fans will be absolutely fuming if we sign him.

I suspect it's his agent trying to get him a bit more money out of chesterfield.

If we are genuinely interested then surely one or two are out the door?

14 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Said by whom? Where is your evidence that he thinks he is a Messiah (sic)? If he thinks that, bloody strange that he’s chosen to start his managerial career in NL don’t you think?

He started here because a) nobody else wanted him as manager and b) his friends sorted him out with a nice, lucrative contract here.

A lot of people are getting very giddy about the new season and I hope the groundswell of optimism is spot on. Of course we have had a more structured pre-season but, after the chaos of the past few years, that's hardly an achievement is it; it should be the norm henceforth.

For me DU still has huge question marks over him, others seem to think he's suddenly a good, proven manager. He's not and HIS performance next season is absolutely crucial. He simply MUST get us off to an excellent start and maintain the momentum. He has no excuses (i.e. about the past regime etc.) to fall back on this time, that's for sure.

4 hours ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

"Chesterfield face competition from Oldham Athletic in signing striker Andrew Dallas" - Derbyshire Times.

Looking at his record with Weymouth, Solihull and Chesterfied over the past 2.5 seasons he's a pretty much guarenteed 25 goals per season striker.....why wouldn't we want him if avaiable?? Fondop showed he's better as an impact striker last season, Reid can play off any front man, Nuttall got grief at some point from most supporters and Willoughby's unproven. 

He's more likely to get game time with us than Chesterfield.

I'd take Dallas tomorrow!

I don't disagree with that, I have real doubts about Unsworth's ability and have never been a fan of his. I would say he deserves a chance given the form in 2023, but if we're not at least top 6 come October questions have to be asked. Having said that this season is a clean slate and I'm going to back him to get it right.

8 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

I’d much rather have grumbles about competition than no competition. 

If we play 3 up front that’s 7 (including Dallas) to choose from, which covers for injuries and loss of form. And Hope could move on.

l get that but lm not talking about grumbles lm talking about breaking the dressing room. we aren't in European competition this season so we don't need three players for each spot.

l also don't want anybody who is happy to sit ont bench.

5 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Looking at his record with Weymouth, Solihull and Chesterfied over the past 2.5 seasons he's a pretty much guarenteed 25 goals per season striker.....why wouldn't we want him if avaiable?? Fondop showed he's better as an impact striker last season, Reid can play off any front man, Nuttall got grief at some point from most supporters and Willoughby's unproven. 

He's more likely to get game time with us than Chesterfield.

I'd take Dallas tomorrow!

Yes, reminds me of this quote from A Life Less Ordinary:

Al: Nice-looking woman.

Robert: She isn't my type.

Al: What are you talking about? Look at yourself. You're nothing. You're nobody. You're wanted in connection with a violent crime. You're cleaning the floor of a diner. She is an intelligent, passionate, beautiful, rich woman. The issue of whether or not she's your type is not one that you're likely to have to resolve in this world... or, indeed, the next, since she will be going to some heaven for glamorous [redacted], and you will be cleaning the floor of a diner in hell.

Robert: I guess so.

Al: So why are you even thinking about it?

Edited by Crusoe

Just now, Monty Burns said:

l get that but lm not talking about grumbles lm talking about breaking the dressing room. we aren't in European competition this season so we don't need three players for each spot.

l also don't want anybody who is happy to sit ont bench.

Then we ship players out. I’m just slightly bemused that we wouldn’t want to risk an upgrade on Hope or Fondop in case it rocks the boat.

He has said himself that he’s had numerous opportunities.

I’m certain his friends as you so put it would not have recommended him if they didn’t feel he was up to the task.

It’s his 1st job in 1st team management and he has made steady progress throughout the course of the season after taking on an absolute shit show of a squad!

Yes….he does need to hit the ground running in August…..but

Its about time supporters started to get behind him and the team 100% instead of waiting for the 1st available opportunity to jump on his case!!

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Then we ship players out. I’m just slightly bemused that we wouldn’t want to risk an upgrade on Hope or Fondop in case it rocks the boat.

its almost certainly just me applying lashings of overthinking to simple not yet problems!!!

plus lm a bit gay for Fondop

• Like 1

I get that. No worries (edit: to Monty).

On Unsworth, I think he clearly talks the talk and sounds like he’s bought into the longer term project. It’s absolutely fair to say he hasn’t walked the walk yet and needs to prove he can. 

I’ll cut him slack for the start as he inherited a poor squad. When he got to reshape that results started to improve. Now he needs to show he can build that further. But what he saying makes sense - picking a formation to suit the game, prioritising winning over pretty football. That’s what I want to hear.

Edited by Crusoe
  • Like 1

Just now, Gaz_Oafc said:

According to this, Dallas played the majority of games at Left Wing last season.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/andy-dallas/leistungsdaten/spieler/406736

He's also allegedly been seen at Gillingham's ground this week.

ok cancel everything l just said. teach me for commenting on somebody lve never heard of 🤣

we need a LW it was on my original blueprint

33 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

He has said himself that he’s had numerous opportunities. Agencies attempted to "head hunt" me for top jobs on mega salaries - but I never took any of them because they "just didn't feel right". Believe what you will lol !

I’m certain his friends as you so put it would not have recommended him if they didn’t feel he was up to the task. Not always the case with nepotism.

It’s his 1st job in 1st team management and he has made steady progress throughout the course of the season after taking on an absolute shit show of a squad! He did make some progress, I agree.

Yes….he does need to hit the ground running in August…..but Absolutely does - no excuses this time.

Its about time supporters started to get behind him and the team 100% instead of waiting for the 1st available opportunity to jump on his case!! 1st available opportunity? Last season he was in charge of some of the worst performances ever witnessed - he deserved the criticism. I always get 100% behind the team/manager at games - always have done. I do feel free, however, to express a view on a forum. I did also say "I hope the groundswell of optimism is spot on" - and I really do. FR has got an awful lot of things right at our club but I still have doubts over one of the more important aspects; the first team manager. I will happily eat humble pie if we are promoted next season.

2 hours ago, wiseowl said:

He started here because a) nobody else wanted him as manager and b) his friends sorted him out with a nice, lucrative contract here.

A lot of people are getting very giddy about the new season and I hope the groundswell of optimism is spot on. Of course we have had a more structured pre-season but, after the chaos of the past few years, that's hardly an achievement is it; it should be the norm henceforth.

For me DU still has huge question marks over him, others seem to think he's suddenly a good, proven manager. He's not and HIS performance next season is absolutely crucial. He simply MUST get us off to an excellent start and maintain the momentum. He has no excuses (i.e. about the past regime etc.) to fall back on this time, that's for sure.

More speculation without evidence.

My post was a response to @diggleblue saying that DU thinks he is a Messiah. Neither he nor you have provided evidence to back up this allegation. I went on to point out that, if that is how DU sees himself, then it was pretty odd that he would start out in the National League (not least given his connections in the game).

Whether or not DU was a shoo-in for the Latics job given his friendship with the Royles is irrelevant. He is here now and, like every manager, will stand or fall on his results. Puerile speculation about his state of mind, or how he got the job, gets us nowhere. As plenty of others have said, we need to get behind the team. Optimism is called for - not negativity, nor overconfidence.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sjk2008 said:

Has he?

I must have missed those games.

Well you obviously did. I was hoping our centre back pairing would be Yarney and Sutton, but now it looks probably neither of them. But fuck it, everybody’s happy