Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

7 minutes ago, mick26 said:

I heard it from a lot closer to home than Barnsley or Wrexham so know we've definitely been trying for him. Still think he'll probably go to Wrexham or another EFL club and the money could be better spent on another midfielder and a right back.

Yeah seems strange to offer for another striker I think 4 is the optimum number of strikers you need certainly if you are playing 2 upfront all season would prefer it if money is spent in other areas tbh.

We offered an “unbelievable” offer to Dallas, and now linked to Norwood, who would be on big money at this level. We’ve clearly still got plenty of the budget left and are trying for a marquee signing.  

59 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Yeah seems strange to offer for another striker I think 4 is the optimum number of strikers you need certainly if you are playing 2 upfront all season would prefer it if money is spent in other areas tbh.

Norwood could be the difference between playoffs and automatic!

9 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Norwood could be the difference between playoffs and automatic!

If so we need to use at least 2 to start and none of the lone striker from last season.

Edited by Flemboy

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

I honestly agree with Joe's old adage - you can't have enough strikers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

I honestly agree with Joe's old adage - you can't have enough strikers.

If we have 5 strikers you are probably going to be leaving atleast 3 of them frustrated every week as they won't be starting. If you've got 4 then that gives you enough options without the problem of having too many players kicking their heels every week. It's a fine balance between  having a decent sized squad which gives options compared to one that is bloated. 

Also I'd say we need to make sure that we create enough chances for the forwards we have right now. If I'm honest I think that's a bigger concern (I say bigger concern its a small concern in the grand scheme of things I think we will create chances) If more players are to come in I'd focus it on (apart from the obvious problem of right back) finding players that create enough chances because if we do the 4 strikers currently on the books will score plenty.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

If we have 5 strikers you are probably going to be leaving atleast 3 of them frustrated every week as they won't be starting. If you've got 4 then that gives you enough options without the problem of having too many players kicking their heels every week. It's a fine balance between  having a decent sized squad which gives options compared to one that is bloated. 

Also I'd say we need to make sure that we create enough chances for the forwards we have right now. If I'm honest I think that's a bigger concern (I say bigger concern its a small concern in the grand scheme of things I think we will create chances) If more players are to come in I'd focus it on (apart from the obvious problem of right back) finding players that create enough chances because if we do the 4 strikers currently on the books will score plenty.

We used to have six, back in Joe's golden years. Healthy competition, as well as important cover. Yes, we need more strength out wide, in cm and, of course, rb, but I'd also be happy with another striker.

6 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

We used to have six, back in Joe's golden years. Healthy competition, as well as important cover. Yes, we need more strength out wide, in cm and, of course, rb, but I'd also be happy with another striker.

We probably still cannot defend for shit, so I would be happy revisiting the good old days of always scoring one more than the opposition.

Is Hope still classed as a striker or is he a winger? 

Fondop is definitely a warrior and Nuttall can only be classed as a worrier because he worries the feck out of me.

1 hour ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Who were the six strikers then, must have slipped my mind because I never remember us having anywhere near six at one time.

8 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Who were the six strikers then, must have slipped my mind because I never remember us having anywhere near six at one time.

I can't think of six.  One of the trade marks of the teams then was how many gals came from all over the pitch

We started with 6 but by the end of the season we were playing with 1 upfront in Graeme Sharp. Moulden was mainly injured and Currie left. Marshall was reconverted to centre back. Palmer played a good chunk of that season as a right winger Ritchie was in and out of the side partly due to injuries the top flight came abit too late for him.

Back to the point if we sign another forward I'd be surprised if we finish the season with 5 forwards I reckon atleast 1 will have moved on or be loaned out.