Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

5 hours ago, BerlinBlue said:

This. Plenty of players can do this.

Sheron's contributions to breaking up play get way overblown because he makes a few sliding tackles here and there and runs around a bit. As long as he is starting in our midfield, we will not get promoted. He'd be ok as a backup, that's it. 

I'd love it if you could help me out here and name a few of the "plenty" that will come and play for us in the National League for the next couple of seasons.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

I'd love it if you could help me out here and name a few of the "plenty" that will come and play for us in the National League for the next couple of seasons.....

No supporter would reject an upgrade in any of our players, it's the progressive thing to do, but until those better players actually sign we need to shelve the pointless criticism of certain players. 

There are at least three positions we need to strengthen before we address the shortcomings of Sheron or the goalies. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bobledgersheart said:

No supporter would reject an upgrade in any of our players, it's the progressive thing to do, but until those better players actually sign we need to shelve the pointless criticism of certain players. 

There are at least three positions we need to strengthen before we address the shortcomings of Sheron or the goalies. 

100% agree

On 11/30/2023 at 2:36 PM, BerlinBlue said:

Sheron is a terrible footballer and the fact our midfield has not dominated once in over a year and a half he has been playing for us says it all. He can run about all he wants, it's a low bar when that's the standard we strive for. Even if he is on the list, could be difficult to offload him since we gave him an extra year's contract. 

On 11/30/2023 at 4:33 PM, BerlinBlue said:

Which promotion side has he played in?

In the next game, just watch how many times he passes sideways or backwards. How many times he stops our attacking play from developing. He sits too deep, can‘t take the ball on the turn, and can‘t pick a forward pass. Not a very good midfielder.

10 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Who did this for both Notts County and Wrexham last year then ? You don’t NEED a central midfielder who struggles to pass a football. 

Here is a thought. Why don’t we get a player who can break up play in midfield AND pass a ball more than 2 yards to his team mate. 

We are playing a midfield 2 currently. All the opposition have to do is stand on Lundstram and let Sheron have the ball as they know the chances of him creating anything is next to Nil. 

10 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Buzzing with the Barnet game, great result. 

Dominated the midfield ? Absolutely not. We got lucky at times, we stayed in the game and the quality in the counter attack won us the game. 

They also went all out attack from minute 1 which suited the setup. 

All the shite above perfectly blown out of the water by the below.

9 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Now I’m not having a pop @LightDN123 but take the Barnet game as an example:

There was the ball to Fondop that led to the penalty, the ball through to Norwood where he found himself one on one with the keeper but slipped the ball just past the post… oh and the ball to Norwood who took it on and bagged the third ….

All chances created by Sheron 👍

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Sheron is not the main problem.

Every team needs someone doing the dirty work and keeping things simple.

If we had the right players to play 4:5:1 with 2 proper attacking wide midfield men, a good baller in the middle 3 (and not DG) and a better right back Sheron would be fine.

Our issue is an aging, static team without the legs to create enough space going forward for the likes of Sheron etc to play more meaningful attacking passes, particularly when we are at home.

Take him out and we are worse than we are today....fact

Actually I feel we have an aging team who cannot play 2 or certainly 3 games in quick succession without running out of steam.

8 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Bob. 

I love the cut of your jib.

Amen. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Midfield and right back are the main points of issue in my opinion. Goalkeeper is fine.

Hasn‘t the main problem been trying to break teams down at home? When we actually have to play through them we can‘t. This isn‘t a pointless criticism it‘s just what has been happening.

Anyway, hope Sheron has a blinder today. 

2 minutes ago, BerlinBlue said:

Hasn‘t the main problem been trying to break teams down at home?

We did against Ebbsfleet. 

Prior to that we created more than enough chances against Alty and Eastleigh and couldn’t take them.

4 minutes ago, BerlinBlue said:

Midfield and right back are the main points of issue in my opinion. Goalkeeper is fine.

Agreed on Freeman, he isn’t quick enough and doesn’t get up and down like kitch does. Green is to inconsistent and we have no one for the left hand side. 

Id upgrade all 3 positions before we look at centre mid. 

33 minutes ago, BerlinBlue said:

Hasn‘t the main problem been trying to break teams down at home? When we actually have to play through them we can‘t. This isn‘t a pointless criticism it‘s just what has been happening.

Anyway, hope Sheron has a blinder today. 

Just ignore the hate mate it’s pointless. 

We have had a problem in central midfield for 18 months but people will still say Sheron is not the problem. 

It’s got to be either Sheron or Lundstrum who’s the problem and needs upgrading and I know which one it is and so do you. 

5 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

ultimately the best way to view it and almost certainly the view of the management

Exactly. Our midfield options are Lundstrum, Sheron, Gardner and Shelton. 

Shelton the clear weak link. Gardner good on his day. But the clear upgrade is Sheron and then he takes Shelton’s place on the bench. 

I don’t include McGahey as a CM option. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Sorry, I take everything a bit too literally !  :getmecoat:

lve got Aspergers and even l knew it was a joke!!!

mind you, lve treated life like a joke as a coping mechanism since my diagnosis so lm trained by now 

stops me coupling up windows mentally and re arranging sentences looking for the code 🙄

27 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Exactly. Our midfield options are Lundstrum, Sheron, Gardner and Shelton. 

Shelton the clear weak link. Gardner good on his day. But the clear upgrade is Sheron and then he takes Shelton’s place on the bench. 

I don’t include McGahey as a CM option. 

Exactly as I see it, to be honest.

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

lve got Aspergers and even l knew it was a joke!!!

mind you, lve treated life like a joke as a coping mechanism since my diagnosis so lm trained by now 

stops me coupling up windows mentally and re arranging sentences looking for the code 🙄

I think I'm catching old age, then again I wasn't much smarter years ago !!!  😀

44 minutes ago, League one forever said:

He’s improved his workrate under Mellon (as a lot have) but I still think we need better delivery from wide areas. His final ball/cross is generally poor. 

Think he means he’s been consistently shite!!😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Just ignore the hate mate it’s pointless. 

😂 Dear me. 

It’s a forum- people disagree. Nobody hates anybody- we don’t even know each other. 

6 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

We have had a problem in central midfield for 18 months but people will still say Sheron is not the problem. 

Right - that’s that then, so because you can diagnose it- debate should stop because you can see it and no one else can. 😂 You do realise that in those 18 months the vast majority has been under quite possibly the worst manager in our history. Is Sheron now responsible for entire team tactics and team shape?? Despite playing under DU he still wins players player of the year.  Since Mellon has come in, he’s scored two worldies, his passing has been much better he’s created chances and we’ve largely stopped teams playing through us. But he gets no credit for that. . because you’ve made your mind up on a player despite the obvious improvement under a new manager and winning awards under an awful manager. 

• Like 2