Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

37 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

As you've said, we don't have the facts or the back history on his issue. On the face of it, he should be the type of player we invest in as assets and start drawing some serious transfer fees down the line. We're going to need a bigger budget once we get out of here and push towards League One, and this should come from chunky transfer fees.

I agree Franky, but I’ll be amazed if we bid for him- for two reasons.

1. I don’t think there is any budget left this season other than for tweaking, or if players leave- which given the size of contract they’ll be on won’t be easy. 

2. Why would Wigan sell him? He’s on a 3 year deal and even if they go down he’s good enough to play in league two and either fire them back up or they will sell him if/when he does well. 

Personally think there’s no chance. 

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I agree Franky, but I’ll be amazed if we bid for him- for two reasons.

1. I don’t think there is any budget left this season other than for tweaking, or if players leave- which given the size of contract they’ll be on won’t be easy. 

2. Why would Wigan sell him? He’s on a 3 year deal and even if they go down he’s good enough to play in league two and either fire them back up or they will sell him if/when he does well. 

Personally think there’s no chance. 

You're probably right, but I suspect the club would consider making an offer. You're right, the three year deal means that Wigan hold the cards so it depends on how desperate they are for funds.

The club do have a budget, but the player fee could come off next season's budget and wages, bonus etc from this season's one. Players will be in negotiations to leave which means there will be room in the budget for players.

I really doubt that the pot is empty though. Yes, a chunk has been allocated into the squad for this season and seemingly spent by DU, but the notion that a new manager comes in and has absolutely nothing to play with isn't prudent. It wouldn't surprise me if an amount was ringfenced to be released if urgently required. 

8 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I really doubt that the pot is empty though. Yes, a chunk has been allocated into the squad for this season and seemingly spent by DU, but the notion that a new manager comes in and has absolutely nothing to play with isn't prudent. It wouldn't surprise me if an amount was ringfenced to be released if urgently required. 

Yeah, fair comment. I suppose it comes down to what Micky sees as urgent, because you’re right- it’s not all one way from the club, as in you can’t sign anyone until the summer, I don’t think he would of signed in that scenario. 

One thing I do really like about MM, (and this will go down well with the club in perhaps backing him)  is he seems very prudent. I think a lot of managers after the home performances would have gone to the board already and said it’s urgent. . but he’s bided his time, and his first foray into the market has been a belter. 

Edited by League one forever
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

I heard the loan was a deal struck between Darren Royle and their Sporting Director Gregor Rioch who are apparently friends, much to the annoyance of Maloney.

l heard if you put 'l heard..' on here and wait a day to say it in the pub then its gospel by matchday.

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I had the same knee problem he has, came on when I grew a foot in a year. I can honestly say it has had no impact at all on my professional football career.

Osgood-schlatter’s happens to teenagers when they are still growing but training hard with a lot of sprinting etc. I suspect Stones is finished growing. It kind of suggests that diagnosis is not the real problem.

7 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Osgood-schlatter’s happens to teenagers when they are still growing but training hard with a lot of sprinting etc. I suspect Stones is finished growing. It kind of suggests that diagnosis is not the real problem.

why would you suspect he has stopped growing three years earlier than everybody else?

1 minute ago, Monty Burns said:

human males, especually those raised in earth based sporting environs, do not stop growing until around their 24th journey around our parent star.

Oh so it was a question.

OK, Osgood Schlatter’s is caused because the infra-patella tendon attaches to the Tibia, (the main leg bone) over the soft growth plate of the Tibia.  This growth plate fuses (becomes bone) at between 14 and 18 yrs of age.  Any growth after that time does not involve the lower leg getting longer.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I was surprised when it was mentioned. I had it when I was about 15 and playing loads of sports 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Oh so it was a question.

OK, Osgood Schlatter’s is caused because the infra-patella tendon attaches to the Tibia, (the main leg bone) over the soft growth plate of the Tibia.  This growth plate fuses (becomes bone) at between 14 and 18 yrs of age.  Any growth after that time does not involve the lower leg getting longer.

so he's two years late?