Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

35 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I don’t think we do. Conlon will probably play further up or cover more ground at least when he’s fully match fit. 

Disagree, I think it’s clear Conlon has been brought in to dictate games from CDM. Certainly based on what we have seen so far. 

36 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

In what formation?

Either in a 433 or a 532

Conlon, Lundstram and a 10. 

We just don’t create anything, but we don’t have a player that can unlock a defence or be that creative spark, that’s mainly due to Unsworth wanting nothing but structure. 

Once we get the creative player in the middle, we will be a far better team imo. 

Example, Sheron had the ball in a crest position a few times yesterday and he just couldn’t find the pass. Same with Hammond and Lundstram. 

Norwood and Dallas will make the runs, we need a player to find them. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Disagree, I think it’s clear Conlon has been brought in to dictate games from CDM. Certainly based on what we have seen so far. 

Either in a 433 or a 532

Conlon, Lundstram and a 10. 

We just don’t create anything, but we don’t have a player that can unlock a defence or be that creative spark, that’s mainly due to Unsworth wanting nothing but structure. 

Once we get the creative player in the middle, we will be a far better team imo. 

Example, Sheron had the ball in a crest position a few times yesterday and he just couldn’t find the pass. Same with Hammond and Lundstram. 

Norwood and Dallas will make the runs, we need a player to find them. 

Conlon is a number 10 for me

3 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Agreed, we do need someone to start the play off though so one of the two others needs to be able to pick the ball up and somehow find a pass, this for me is Sheron's biggest failing, I'm not questioning the guys heart, desire or passion just his ability to pick a ball up in the centre of the park, make a half turn and have an ounce of vision to make a forward pass, I'd sacrifice some of his graft for a little more guile, he makes some tremendous tackles and never stops but ask yourself why it takes a bit of Norwood or Fondop or Stones brilliance to fashion a goal, add to that we play next to no football, we can't play like Woking did at times or Hendon or Mickleover or Ebbsfleet- build an attack or even control the game and that's because we are either light in the centre of the park or we have limited footballers,in truth  it's probably a bit of both but either way it's not good enough.

35 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

23 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Agreed, we do need someone to start the play off though so one of the two others needs to be able to pick the ball up and somehow find a pass, this for me is Sheron's biggest failing, I'm not questioning the guys heart, desire or passion just his ability to pick a ball up in the centre of the park, make a half turn and have an ounce of vision to make a forward pass, I'd sacrifice some of his graft for a little more guile, he makes some tremendous tackles and never stops but ask yourself why it takes a bit of Norwood or Fondop or Stones brilliance to fashion a goal, add to that we play next to no football, we can't play like Woking did at times or Hendon or Mickleover or Ebbsfleet- build an attack or even control the game and that's because we are either light in the centre of the park or we have limited footballers,in truth  it's probably a bit of both but either way it's not good enough.

I agree he could play the 10 role, he has for Vale, but I don’t think he will play that role for us to be honest. 

9 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Probably dropping back as a result of his match fitness and recent injury record ?

I think his recent injury has maybe caused a slight position change. But I think MM has brought him in to dictate games for us, which he will do. 

17 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I think his recent injury has maybe caused a slight position change. But I think MM has brought him in to dictate games for us, which he will do. 

So we sign a new midfielder, in order to control the play. Yet spend all afternoon launching high balls over midfield aimed at the front two, ultimately to be gobbled up by defenders. We are screaming out for someone to look after the ball in midfield, and bring our midfield and forward players into the game. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

So we sign a new midfielder, in order to control the play. Yet spend all afternoon launching high balls over midfield aimed at the front two, ultimately to be gobbled up by defenders. We are screaming out for someone to look after the ball in midfield, and bring our midfield and forward players into the game. 

Yesterday was a joke. In the first 20 mins how many times did the bald number 4 head the ball. 

My partner went to her 5th Oldham (live football) game yesterday and worked it out with the same amount of time. 

McGahey, Sheron, Raglan continuously knocked it to the bald lads head. 

Embarrassing really. But we continued to do it for 90 minutes. We passed it around abit for the last 10, but it’s easy to do that when they are camping on the edge of the penalty box. 

36 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Yesterday was a joke. In the first 20 mins how many times did the bald number 4 head the ball. 

My partner went to her 5th Oldham (live football) game yesterday and worked it out with the same amount of time. 

McGahey, Sheron, Raglan continuously knocked it to the bald lads head. 

His bullet head was like a magnet for every forward ball.

8 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

What a load of bollox tho. We were by far the better team v Barnet.and deserved the win.  We clearly struggle at home to lesser teams. Confident Mellon will get to the root of it and sort it tho. The usual suspects on here predicting season over again are they ? Cba reading through all the overreactions 🙄🙄

Wankers United!

Six months ago I reckon the vast majority of fans were happy with the players we had and were bringing in.  Didn't turn out as expected.  So now Mellon has begun to bring his own men in, albeit it largely on loan, and every signing has been, almost universally, well received.  I'd say that is premature.

• Like 2

Interesting views from Mellon reported in the Oldham Times on the attempts to move some players on. I suspect other clubs are trying to take advantage, knowing we want to move players on. Glad to hear that Mellon is standing his ground. Perhaps it's more likely players will move after the EFL transfer deadline has passed, or as we approach the NL deadline.

1 hour ago, Hemel latic said:

Interesting views from Mellon reported in the Oldham Times on the attempts to move some players on. I suspect other clubs are trying to take advantage, knowing we want to move players on. Glad to hear that Mellon is standing his ground. Perhaps it's more likely players will move after the EFL transfer deadline has passed, or as we approach the NL deadline.

www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/sport/24084182.oldham-athletic-boss-mellon-experiencing-transfer-stalemate

33 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I’d be giving them away!😂😂

From the wording of the Oldham Times article I expect clubs are making our players cheeky wage offers in the expectation we'll pick up the difference in a severance package.

The closer we get to the NL transfer deadline the offers may become more realistic if teams are in the hunt for promotion, or seeking to avoid relegation.  

1 hour ago, GKing521 said:

With the money a certain Mr Nuttall is on, I can't see him leaving anytime soon...

If we’re committed to paying him £2.5k+ a week we might as well accept £800 per week wouldn’t you think?…..especially if as expected, there is no intention of playing him anytime over the next 17 months!

Edited by oafc1955

3 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

If we’re committed to paying him £2.5k+ a week we might as well accept £800 per week wouldn’t you think?…..especially if as expected, there is no intention of playing him anytime over the next 17 months!

😮!!! No, surely not? If correct, who has sanctioned a minumum £130k/annum for someone to play non-league football? (who isn't even catching the first team). Insanity. 

Something seriously not right if this is true, or am I so out of touch after a few years away? The club is not sustainable if things like this are true. Or at least not self-sustaining and someone is throwing a huge amount of cash down the drain.

Edited by spanishfly

11 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

😮!!! No, surely not? If correct, who has sanctioned a minumum £130k/annum for someone to play non-league football? (who isn't even catching the first team). Insanity. 

Something seriously not right if this is true, or am I so out of touch after a few years away? The club is not sustainable if things like this are true. Or at least not self-sustaining and someone is throwing a huge amount of cash down the drain.

We’re apparently paying Norwood £5k a week..😆

19 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

Some bloke called Frank. 

Thank goodness.