Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

31 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

This is the biggest worry for me. I'm worried that the current backup strikers just won't score enough goals...mainly because we don't create enough chances, and the new boys are just not match fit or have not had the chance to bed in.

But who knows, we may have to change how we play a bit now and the others strikers may step up to the plate, but whichever way you look at it, Norwood being out till April is a massive blow.

I didn't see this.

Obviously awful news, but this is a season where we aren't short of strikers at least.  Mellon should still be able to find an effectively combination with what we have.

59 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I didn't see this.

Obviously awful news, but this is a season where we aren't short of strikers at least.  Mellon should still be able to find an effectively combination with what we have.

We’ve literally just signed Dallas and Garner, two strikers at this level who should score plenty of goals, almost any other NL team would be delighted to have them up top. 

Midfield is our problem area and is hopefully being fixed otherwise we’ll struggle to be consistent 

I think we get a bit fixated by Norwood, there's nothing to suggest we won't do just fine without him. We've still got four decent strikers for this level in Garner, Dallas, Reid and Fondop. I think Mellon has been a bit preoccupied with building a team around him rather than sorting out our obvious deficiencies.

3 minutes ago, oafcmb said:

No idea. Probably not true anyway. We do need another midfielder though. 

The Mansfield version is apparently a defensive midfielder.
Do we need another defender?
No.

The Dorking version appears to be a much better prospect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I think we get a bit fixated by Norwood, there's nothing to suggest we won't do just fine without him. We've still got four decent strikers for this level in Garner, Dallas, Reid and Fondop. I think Mellon has been a bit preoccupied with building a team around him rather than sorting out our obvious deficiencies.

Except him scoring more than three times as many goals as anyone else in the squad... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Except him scoring more than three times as many goals as anyone else in the squad... 

He has played three times more than any other striker. . . I’m not saying he isn’t class. However it’s not fanciful to suggest that Reid or Dallas would have a similar amount of goals (or not far off) if they had played every game. 

9 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

You do know he's played three times as many minutes as the next striker and his conversion rate isn't even the best goals per minute.

Whose to say we won't be a better team without him in there?, nobody know. Arguably our most polished home performance of the season from a front two was Yprk and the front two that night were Nuttall and Willoughby so I'm not as worried as some maybe that he's out till Easter.

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

He has played three times more than any other striker. . . I’m not saying he isn’t class. However it’s not fanciful to suggest that Reid or Dallas would have a similar amount of goals (or not far off) if they had played every game. 

You’ve seen Reid play right? 🤣

13 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

The disrespect for Norwood because he doesn’t celebrate is baffling. Out till Easter but will still get 20 goals. 

I don’t think anybody disrespects him in that regard- plenty of banter on socials about when will smile if he  score, or gifs about him looking miserable. Even the players had the crack with him about it at Barnet away- when they jokingly forced him to celebrate. (The club tweeted the posted the video of them doing it) 

Nor is anybody questioning his goal record. 

Edited by League one forever

33 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I don’t think anybody disrespects him in that regard- plenty of banter on socials about when will smile if he  score, or gifs about him looking miserable. Even the players had the crack with him about it at Barnet away- when they jokingly forced him to celebrate. (The club tweeted the posted the video of them doing it) 

Nor is anybody questioning his goal record. 

33 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Not seeing much disrespect, just people having faith in other players

Fair enough, but the fact is we are going into the next game with Nathan Sheron as top scorer. 

We are relying on Garner / Dallas to come good in this period. Or, we bring Reid back, but he will need time to get match fit. 

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Fair enough, but the fact is we are going into the next game with Nathan Sheron as top scorer. 

We are relying on Garner / Dallas to come good in this period. Or, we bring Reid back, but he will need time to get match fit. 

As was mentioned earlier- other than Norwood, nobody has been given a run like him and their goal returns  reflect that. 

Reid’s goal to game is very good, but he hasn’t played. (I know the reasons, just saying he has goals in him)

Dallas is prolific at this level. 

Id start them two in Nors absence. 

The issue I have is Garner, who looks like he has been brought in as a workhorse. Problem is he’s 36 and can’t do the running, and doesn’t score many. I bet he starts on Tuesday. . . 

47 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Recent history suggests that Dallas and Garner will come good. Add to that the fact we are playing one step up from the Carrion Crow FC, I think we'll be OK even without Norwood...

39 minutes ago, League one forever said:

As was mentioned earlier- other than Norwood, nobody has been given a run like him and their goal returns  reflect that. 

Reid’s goal to game is very good, but he hasn’t played. (I know the reasons, just saying he has goals in him)

Dallas is prolific at this level. 

Id start them two in Nors absence. 

The issue I have is Garner, who looks like he has been brought in as a workhorse. Problem is he’s 36 and can’t do the running, and doesn’t score many. I bet he starts on Tuesday. . . 

I'm not sure starting Reid is necessary straight away, but it might help his autistic friend Kitching find some form so I'm all for it...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Recent history suggests that Dallas and Garner will come good. Add to that the fact we are playing one step up from the Carrion Crow FC, I think we'll be OK even without Norwood...

That’s us stuffed then, cheers 👍