Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

3 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Not really….he’s been here a month now and was training regularly at Morecambe before that so surely is good to go…..I just find it strange he travelled yesterday but couldn’t even get in the match day squad.

I would expect that any players signed by MM should be good enough to go straight in, especially as the reason he was recalled by Blackburn was because he wasn’t getting game time!

just because you find it strange doesn't mean it is. you were telling us the season was over two months ago so lets just assume your not quite on the money to make specific team selections

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

just because you find it strange doesn't mean it is. you were telling us the season was over two months ago so lets just assume your not quite on the money to make specific team selections

Do you think he made the right team selections yesterday?

8 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

l think he might think he didn't and thats as far as any of us should be going

I thought you might think he thought what you thought I was thinking he thought!🤔😂

Edited by oafc1955

39 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Bring him in now 😃

Need to get the players we’ve already got performing to a decent standard first…. I wouldn’t be sanctioning any more incomings until then!

13 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Need to get the players we’ve already got performing to a decent standard first…. I wouldn’t be sanctioning any more incomings until then!

Probably right but when you look at this guys pedigree, he has to be one worth watching - also, with his contract up this year .,.

17 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Probably right but when you look at this guys pedigree, he has to be one worth watching - also, with his contract up this year .,.

We certainly haven’t got a player with that sort of capability for sure!

The RB position is an enduring mystery to me. Sachdev clearly has promise but it's been a problem position for two years now, might be 5/6 years since we had anyone really decent in the position. Perhaps it's harder to play than it looks. I often think when I'm watching the PL that even really highly regarded full backs often look the weakest player on their team, perhaps it is harder than it looks. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

The RB position is an enduring mystery to me. Sachdev clearly has promise but it's been a problem position for two years now, might be 5/6 years since we had anyone really decent in the position. Perhaps it's harder to play than it looks. I often think when I'm watching the PL that even really highly regarded full backs often look the weakest player on their team, perhaps it is harder than it looks. 

I think this is highlighted because we do not have a good right midfield player who produces good crosses, so highlights the RB who we want to be a good defender and a good crosser of the ball, if we had one of these he would soon be playing at a higher level.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

Connoire Brun made it look easy.

56 minutes ago, mickjagger said:

I think this is highlighted because we do not have a good right midfield player who produces good crosses, so highlights the RB who we want to be a good defender and a good crosser of the ball, if we had one of these he would soon be playing at a higher level.

I think there's a lot in that. Our current formation demands wing backs that are really fit and strong both defensively and in attack. I guess when you look at it that way it is a difficult position to play - you need to be a good 1:1 defender while at the same time adept at passing, dribbling and crossing.

One of the biggest mysteries to me is how ineffective Mark Kitching is as a wingback compared to how well he played as a fullback when he used to bomb on regularly. He is a player who we've nullified since going three at the back.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

One of the biggest mysteries to me is how ineffective Mark Kitching is as a wingback compared to how well he played as a fullback when he used to bomb on regularly. He is a player who we've nullified since going three at the back.

I think the oppo recognise he's one of our biggest attacking threats so they attempt to nullify him but agree, the lack of a left winger/midfielder for him to work with him does reduce his effectiveness. 

And also why, in our current 352 formation, when we are attacking with supposedly 5 across the middle we are still consistently out passed.

I don’t think we are good enough or even have a clue how to play this system and should revert back to 442 or 433.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

And also why, in our current 352 formation, when we are attacking with supposedly 5 across the middle we are still consistently out passed.

I don’t think we are good enough or even have a clue how to play this system and should revert back to 442 or 433.

We've played 532 in the last 8 league games. We played 442 in the two preceding games that saw both good performances and victories over Woking and Barnet. 

35 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

He rarely beats a man ( but still gets his crosses in ) and hasn't the pace to chase back but is probably still out most creative player going forward ! 😒

He also doesn't seem to change his deliveries much, but then again we seldom get a man across the near post so his options are limited.

We still seem to be trying to play with wing backs when there aren't any on the books ( maybe Benny ) just to accommodate our numerous centre halves.

49 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

I think there's a lot in that. Our current formation demands wing backs that are really fit and strong both defensively and in attack. I guess when you look at it that way it is a difficult position to play - you need to be a good 1:1 defender while at the same time adept at passing, dribbling and crossing.

The fitness required as a wing back is probably the most demanding on the pitch too. 

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

I agree with you. My gut instinct after witnessing how basic the football is at this level,was that 4 4 2 is the way to getoutof this league.

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

He rarely beats a man ( but still gets his crosses in ) and hasn't the pace to chase back but is probably still out most creative player going forward ! 😒

The great Ricky Holden used to cross the ball early, quite often not even attempting to beat the defender - he also scored a few too.

* mind you, putting the ball into the box early is only successful if the strikers get in there too!

• Like 1