Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

An obvious statement, but only good teams play consistently well. Despite being in the upper reaches of the league we are not yet a good team because for every decent performance there is at least one bobbins effort to follow.

It's frustrating because at certain times it's looked as though the sunshine has been about to burst through the clouds: the successive away wins against Woking and Barnet, the all too brief Stones era. But for every sunny spell there is a Fylde, or the turgid displays of late.

There is still every reason to believe in Mellon, have you seen the 5 (FIVE) promotions on his CV? The rebuilding job isn't complete, the new players are bedding in, a fully fit Conlon has the potential to be some player at this level, every other team bar Chesterfield is just as inconsistent.

It's hard not to get down after a display like Ebbsfleet but there's still plenty of reason to have confidence in the gaffer and the boys to get us into those play off places.  

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

An obvious statement, but only good teams play consistently well. Despite being in the upper reaches of the league we are not yet a good team because for every decent performance there is at least one bobbins effort to follow.

It's frustrating because at certain times it's looked as though the sunshine has been about to burst through the clouds: the successive away wins against Woking and Barnet, the all too brief Stones era. But for every sunny spell there is a Fylde, or the turgid displays of late.

There is still every reason to believe in Mellon, have you seen the 5 (FIVE) promotions on his CV? The rebuilding job isn't complete, the new players are bedding in, a fully fit Conlon has the potential to be some player at this level, every other team bar Chesterfield is just as inconsistent.

It's hard not to get down after a display like Ebbsfleet but there's still plenty of reason to have confidence in the gaffer and the boys to get us into those play off places.  

Good post. 

On your last paragraph- I feel like Mellon has lost confidence with a lot of them, or in the need to see a performance he’s asked them to be hard to beat first and then play. 

It’s very difficult for any side to suddenly start transitioning from hard to beat to free flowing. 

After Solihul away- I remember him being asked his thoughts on the game and he said something like. 

First half - Rubbish. 

Second half I asked the players to play further up the pitch and for our midfield to give their defence something to think about and we saw the result of that. 

We were superb in that second half, so why aren’t we repeating that? Why do we sit so deep. Why do we look lacklustre and half a yard off it. Why are we now so poor in possession? In my view it’s because of what I mention above. 

16 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Good post. 

On your last paragraph- I feel like Mellon has lost confidence with a lot of them, or in the need to see a performance he’s asked them to be hard to beat first and then play. 

It’s very difficult for any side to suddenly start transitioning from hard to beat to free flowing. 

After Solihul away- I remember him being asked his thoughts on the game and he said something like. 

First half - Rubbish. 

Second half I asked the players to play further up the pitch and for our midfield to give their defence something to think about and we saw the result of that. 

We were superb in that second half, so why aren’t we repeating that? Why do we sit so deep. Why do we look lacklustre and half a yard off it. Why are we now so poor in possession? In my view it’s because of what I mention above. 

It is exactly this, we've gone full circle and ended up all Dullsworth. I've been to a couple of games lower down the leagues this week and in those games a couple of teams played with wing backs, what was noticable was how these players two or three rungs down had the ability, energy and desire to support the forwards when attacking and to tuck in when defending, when in possession they were in the opposition half on the full backs toes which is the whole purpose of playing the formation, if they got caught up the pitch a centrehalf came  over and covered until they got back in, our players either don't trust each other or aren't brave enough to take the game to teams and that's a massive problem. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

The spine includes the keeper and the centre backs.  Think we're OK there?

Early impression is I expected to see better if the aim is to get promoted and be prepared for League 2. In the Woking game I was muttering to myself for the keeper to "make something happen" i.e. release the ball early rather than letting Woking re-set their lines. Raglan was the best of a bad bunch. I've read some rave reviews about Hobson and this is why I`m hoping I`ve seen the worst of Latics because his distribution, in the 2 games I`ve seen, has been poor. I`ll re-visit the subject after half a dozen games but if we did have a strong spine there's no way you get rolled over (performance wise) by Woking and Ebbsfleet. Not every player can have 2 consecutive poor showings if the team has a strong spine.

Looking back to the John Sheridan days, he could correctly be described as "pedigree" in the spine of midfield and Latics record, when he played (even with dodgy knees), was very good. Conlon has looked lost and I was looking forward to seeing him because someone on here compared him to Sheridan. A ridiculous comparison really and maybe the poster meant to say  "a lower league Sheridan type." I hope we see that soon. Perhaps one of the problems is that we live in times were everything and everyone gets hyped-up. A poster said Lundstrum had arrived with great hype but people now seem to think he's not the player they were led to believe he was. Ignore the hype and observe with your own eyes has always been my mantra.

Now, Alan Groves, he was the "George Best" of Latics 😄

1 minute ago, spanishfly said:

Early impression is I expected to see better if the aim is to get promoted and be prepared for League 2. In the Woking game I was muttering to myself for the keeper to "make something happen" i.e. release the ball early rather than letting Woking re-set their lines. Raglan was the best of a bad bunch. I've read some rave reviews about Hobson and this is why I`m hoping I`ve seen the worst of Latics because his distribution, in the 2 games I`ve seen, has been poor. I`ll re-visit the subject after half a dozen games but if we did have a strong spine there's no way you get rolled over (performance wise) by Woking and Ebbsfleet. Not every player can have 2 consecutive poor showings if the team has a strong spine.

Looking back to the John Sheridan days, he could correctly be described as "pedigree" in the spine of midfield and Latics record, when he played (even with dodgy knees), was very good. Conlon has looked lost and I was looking forward to seeing him because someone on here compared him to Sheridan. A ridiculous comparison really and maybe the poster meant to say  "a lower league Sheridan type." I hope we see that soon. Perhaps one of the problems is that we live in times were everything and everyone gets hyped-up. A poster said Lundstrum had arrived with great hype but people now seem to think he's not the player they were led to believe he was. Ignore the hype and observe with your own eyes has always been my mantra.

Now, Alan Groves, he was the "George Best" of Latics 😄

Hobson hasn't been the problem the last two games, do I think we need to play anywhere between four and six centrehalfs in the same team?, probably not - but to pick Hobson out as the weakest link over them two games is some shout. Of the defence Sachdev, Kitching, McGahey have all been frankly awful, I'll give you Raglan whose probably been our best outfield player the last two games but Hobson has done little wrong.

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Hobson hasn't been the problem the last two games, do I think we need to play anywhere between four and six centrehalfs in the same team?, probably not - but to pick Hobson out as the weakest link over them two games is some shout. Of the defence Sachdev, Kitching, McGahey have all been frankly awful, I'll give you Raglan whose probably been our best outfield player the last two games but Hobson has done little wrong.

I think you may be misinterpreting. I was answering specifically about the "spine" issue and I always come with the caveat only of what I`ve seen in the 2 games since returning. Hobson hasn't stood out for me. Nobody has. That's why I say I`m hoping to see soon what I`ve read about several players, Hobson one them, Conlon and Norwood others.

Edited by spanishfly

3 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

Kind of where I'm at. It does look like alot of our fans are hard coded to dissapointment so the last 2 games plus Norwoods injury has left many feeling "here we go again" 

It's not all doom and gloom I do believe we will get the play offs we can pull this round alot of teams look equally as fallabe as we are so while we will win plenty of games we will throw in a couple of stinkers but if we are in the play offs then atleast we have a chance of going up. I've factored in that we will have atleast 1 (quite possibly painful) failed promotion attempt in the play offs. The Blackpool fan who used to pop on here every now and again made the point that we aren't as a club used to challenging for promotion and I think it shows in some of our dissapointing results against sides who come to Boundary Park and dig in, I think their is something in that.

More importantly if we don't go up I think we will be able to tweek it enough in Summer to get us up Next year. The experience could do us good.

4 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Kind of where I'm at. It does look like alot of our fans are hard coded to dissapointment so the last 2 games plus Norwoods injury has left many feeling "here we go again" 

It's not all doom and gloom I do believe we will get the play offs we can pull this round alot of teams look equally as fallabe as we are so while we will win plenty of games we will throw in a couple of stinkers but if we are in the play offs then atleast we have a chance of going up. I've factored in that we will have atleast 1 (quite possibly painful) failed promotion attempt in the play offs. The Blackpool fan who used to pop on here every now and again made the point that we aren't as a club used to challenging for promotion and I think it shows in some of our dissapointing results against sides who come to Boundary Park and dig in, I think their is something in that.

More importantly if we don't go up I think we will be able to tweek it enough in Summer to get us up Next year. The experience could do us good.

Norwood is our top scorer on 16 goals. I think it’s then Dickinson and Reid on 5 each, both of which don’t make the squad. 

So we are going into a run of fixtures with Nathon Sheron as our top scorer on 4. 

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Norwood is our top scorer on 16 goals. I think it’s then Dickinson and Reid on 5 each, both of which don’t make the squad. 

So we are going into a run of fixtures with Nathon Sheron as our top scorer on 4. 

You’d think Dallas and Garner will have a view on this 

• Like 1