Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

8 hours ago, Lags said:

The real frustrating thing for me during these past two poor outings is that both Barnet and Bromley have slipped up too. We could have been right on their heels now.

That tells you everything about why we win  4 then have a blip . Micky Mellon has constantly harped on about consistency and the need to work towards being consitant. So far this season only Chesterfield have shown anything like being consistant , its a crap league this year no one else is anywhere near this year . And to be honest I dont think they are that good .The current top 10 below Chesterfield  are all inconsistent but in with a chance of a play off spot . For me we still need another midfielder in the Matty Palmer mould .We need to be in the play offs end of season which I would fancy us to possibly win . This league next year will be an absolute dog fight between about 6 teams with no run away leaders like the last two years.

16 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Was simply pointing out it’s a concern. 

It is a concern, we need players to step up with goals. For me, it’s disappointing that we regularly play with a defensive back 5 or 6 and Sutton, Raglan, Hobson, Hogan, Kitching, McGahey (and Sachdev) only have one league goal between them this season. We win a fair few corners - I’d be expecting decent CBs to chip in with some goals. And attack minded wing backs to score one or two so far in a team pushing for promotion.

Lundstram as well hasn’t come close to scoring in the games I’ve seen. Christ, even Shelton has bagged one and he gets pelters.

Given the experienced talent in the squad and the opposition I think the goals return has been really poor.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Dallas won’t last 45 mins currently. Will wait and see on Garner, still baffled by his signing. 

Dallas had a full preseason and has been training all season with Kilmarnock. He’s been here training nearly 3 weeks and you reckon he can’t last 45 minutes….if that’s the case we may as well send him back! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, penrhyn said:

That tells you everything about why we win  4 then have a blip . Micky Mellon has constantly harped on about consistency and the need to work towards being consitant. So far this season only Chesterfield have shown anything like being consistant , its a crap league this year no one else is anywhere near this year . And to be honest I dont think they are that good .The current top 10 below Chesterfield  are all inconsistent but in with a chance of a play off spot . For me we still need another midfielder in the Matty Palmer mould .We need to be in the play offs end of season which I would fancy us to possibly win . This league next year will be an absolute dog fight between about 6 teams with no run away leaders like the last two years.

Good post. I have been very critical of the team and was really angry after going to a Ebbsfleet to watch a complete shambles of a “performance” but you are right, everyone is the same, Aldershot have probably been the one team that has come out of the pack and shown an unexpected level of performance but they are hardly to be feared. 
MM just has to find a formula to squeeze into the playoffs and then who knows, we will be the favourites due to our size (weird that!!) and support.

For my part I am going to have to accept the lack of quality and consistency and just focus on the league table and nicking that 7th spot…it’s going to be hard on both counts!

19 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

We will be the favourites due to our size (weird that!!) and support.

The set of players we have can't deal with being favourites. 

They will seize up and falter if we have a big playoff game at home. 

38 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

The set of players we have can't deal with being favourites. 

They will seize up and falter if we have a big playoff game at home. 

There's no evidence to support this, we generally struggle at home against the bottom teams or those in lower leagues, even going back to last season County and Wrexham struggled at BP and I think we'll beat Chesterfield at home as well this season, it's these Cup final teams we struggle against, Chesterfield have the right mentality and probably put more in to the games against the perceived smaller teams as Cooky knows they are the banana skins.

I'd certainly fancy us at a Barnet or Rochdale or Halifax, only team I can see doing us in the playoffs is Bromley. 

11 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Norwood is our top scorer on 16 goals. I think it’s then Dickinson and Reid on 5 each, both of which don’t make the squad. 

So we are going into a run of fixtures with Nathon Sheron as our top scorer on 4. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Reid come back into the fold now. Fondop has not really been given an extended run in the team which hasn'thelped hos gosl output. I'll reserve judgement on both Dallas and Garner, I do have some concerns with Garners age but with a younger more mobile forward next to him he could be an asset.

Let's just see how this pans out its quite possible that we could go on another run of picking up wins this little break we have this weekend might do us good to hopefully get some work in on the training pitch.

It was only a couple of months ago that people were completely writing off this season. It was only 2 weeks ago where people were talking up top 3. We've got another 2 and a half months of the season to go their will be a few more twists and turns to come.

Edited by GlossopLatic

49 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

There's no evidence to support this, we generally struggle at home against the bottom teams or those in lower leagues, even going back to last season County and Wrexham struggled at BP and I think we'll beat Chesterfield at home as well this season, it's these Cup final teams we struggle against, Chesterfield have the right mentality and probably put more in to the games against the perceived smaller teams as Cooky knows they are the banana skins.

I'd certainly fancy us at a Barnet or Rochdale or Halifax, only team I can see doing us in the playoffs is Bromley. 

The wheels are coming off at Bromley. Struggling with squad depth and have had to make 4/5 signings to plug gaps who will take time to gel. I still fancy us to overhaul them.

6 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

The wheels are coming off at Bromley. Struggling with squad depth and have had to make 4/5 signings to plug gaps who will take time to gel. I still fancy us to overhaul them.

And those in between us too hopefully!!

14 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Dallas had a full preseason and has been training all season with Kilmarnock. He’s been here training nearly 3 weeks and you reckon he can’t last 45 minutes….if that’s the case we may as well send him back! 

Not another Dickenson and Ward I hope who we've hardly seen.

16 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Dickenson has played 15 times for us this season - 10 times playing the 90 minutes...

Agreed, what did for Dickenson was the cup tie at Alty when he slammed into the metal perimeter. 

2 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Dickenson has played 15 times for us this season - 10 times playing the 90 minutes...

He must be fit now as he’s gone on loan so it must be that MM doesn’t fancy him. I must admit he scored some screamers early in the season but IMO he’s a bit like Tollitt in that his overall contribution isn’t great!

2 hours ago, hollandspies said:

Fair play, another correct call. 

I'll give Toilitt credit, at least he is willing to go out to clubs to play games, rather than while away his time until his contract runs out.

Respect. Good luck to the lad.

1 minute ago, Ex_pat said:

I'll give Toilitt credit, at least he is willing to go out to clubs to play games, rather than while away his time until his contract runs out.

Respect. Good luck to the lad.

Who’s willing to sit on a contract & not play? There’s probably only Shelton that’s not been catching the squads at all recently who’s still at the club. 

5 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Who’s willing to sit on a contract & not play? There’s probably only Shelton that’s not been catching the squads at all recently who’s still at the club. 

I have no insider knowledge of any offers to OAFC to OAFC players that have been made, or what offers have been turned down in the past by player or club.

However, my impression is that Tolitt is considered surplus to requirements by Mellon.

Seeing this is Toliitt's second loan, he seems to be willing to go out to clubs regardless of their level to try and get a game. His contract runs out in the summer, so he could have just whiled away his time until then.

On 2/7/2024 at 2:01 PM, Bobledgersheart said:

True, him and Beckham didn't need to beat their man to whip a cross in but both varied them quite a bit, something Kitching doesn't do.

Hardly surprising.....Holden or Beckham he is not!!

Edited by Londonboy

On 2/8/2024 at 10:27 PM, LightDN123 said:

Norwood is our top scorer on 16 goals. I think it’s then Dickinson and Reid on 5 each, both of which don’t make the squad. 

So we are going into a run of fixtures with Nathon Sheron as our top scorer on 4. 

This is the biggest worry for me. I'm worried that the current backup strikers just won't score enough goals...mainly because we don't create enough chances, and the new boys are just not match fit or have not had the chance to bed in.

But who knows, we may have to change how we play a bit now and the others strikers may step up to the plate, but whichever way you look at it, Norwood being out till April is a massive blow.