7 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

If you like arguing get yourself a wife and kids....

Different sort of arguing, isn't it? 

I'll argue with anyone about Latics until the cows come home. 

Debates such as "Why don't you clean the toilet after you use it?" and "Do you love beer more than us, Daddy?", I just haven't got the same enthusiasm for...

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Debates such as "Why don't you clean the toilet after you use it?" and "Do you love beer more than us, Daddy?", I just haven't got the same enthusiasm for...

I've told you once...

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

It's abit of fine margin though. We've had a pretty miserable decade as far as football fans are concerned and grievances have been justified. In that time Ive felt it necessary to come on here and get things off my chest but it can quickly go into a rant. 

We've won 6-1 and all people want to do is find fault in a player who didn't play in this game, is a 1 in 3 striker (could be a 1 in 2 if he puts his mind to it this season) and 1 who walks into half the teams in this division it begins to smack of entitlement. I just get angry about that.

There's nothing wrong with being reminded of sense of percepective sometimes. The term long suffering fans could easily be applied to us. But really we don't suffer do we. People suffered during covid, people in Ukraine are suffering but seeing our football team not always winning is not suffering. Abit frustrating but we are not suffering.

I'm looking forward to this season, for the first time in 20 years I'm actually expecting a promotion push. If we go up it will be fantastic if we don't it will be frustrating possibly even gutting if say we lose in play off final (which Luton did twice) but it won't be a tragedy knowone will die directly because of it and we will still all have to go to work and pay the bills. 

I know Ive gone off on abit of a tangent but sometimes we need to remind ourselves It's only football at the end of the day let's all just enjoy it shall we.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

'No l love all of you the same'

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

It's abit of fine margin though. We've had a pretty miserable decade as far as football fans are concerned and grievances have been justified. In that time Ive felt it necessary to come on here and get things off my chest but it can quickly go into a rant. 

We've won 6-1 and all people want to do is find fault in a player who didn't play in this game, is a 1 in 3 striker (could be a 1 in 2 if he puts his mind to it this season) and 1 who walks into half the teams in this division it begins to smack of entitlement. I just get angry about that.

There's nothing wrong with being reminded of sense of percepective sometimes. The term long suffering fans could easily be applied to us. But really we don't suffer do we. People suffered during covid, people in Ukraine are suffering but seeing our football team not always winning is not suffering. Abit frustrating but we are not suffering.

I'm looking forward to this season, for the first time in 20 years I'm actually expecting a promotion push. If we go up it will be fantastic if we don't it will be frustrating possibly even gutting if say we lose in play off final (which Luton did twice) but it won't be a tragedy knowone will die directly because of it and we will still all have to go to work and pay the bills. 

I know Ive gone off on abit of a tangent but sometimes we need to remind ourselves It's only football at the end of the day let's all just enjoy it shall we.

Well said 👍

So does anecdotal evidence not count,Joe Nuttall,1601minuites on pitch,7 goals,a run of 13 games scoring 1 goal(I won’t mention it was a penalty).Mike Fondop 840 minuites on pitch 8 goals( I won’t mention none of them were penalties)This is over the same timescale.If anybody on this forum can defend that record you are beyond believe.If Joe Nuttall does not show a considerable improvement in the next two games,we should be looking else where.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Le miserable1 said:

So does anecdotal evidence not count,Joe Nuttall,1601minuites on pitch,7 goals,a run of 13 games scoring 1 goal(I won’t mention it was a penalty).Mike Fondop 840 minuites on pitch 8 goals( I won’t mention none of them were penalties)This is over the same timescale.If anybody on this forum can defend that record you are beyond believe.If Joe Nuttall does not show a considerable improvement in the next two games,we should be looking else where.

Where should we be looking? Where are we finding someone who can score more than 16 goals in this division (in two ordinary/crap teams btw)? Considering we already have a couple who potentially could anyway. 

And penalties are still a goal. You can't just pretend they're not to suit your agenda. Having someone who can consistently score penalties is a bonus.

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

At least we're now only debating team/footballing issues and not the sort of crap we've endured for years. I think that's a big positive.

He's still crap, based on last season's performances....

25 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

At least we're now only debating team/footballing issues and not the sort of crap we've endured for years. I think that's a big positive.

He's still crap, based on last season's performances....

This is a major bonus. I suppose their was a time when such disagreements felt like a luxury.

But for that reason I just can't angry about it.

4 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I understand the point you’re making and I fully support your optimism for the season ahead. But speaking of a sense of perspective, and making comparisons with Covid or Ukraine, is whataboutery really. This is a football forum and fans of our club have known nothing but doom and gloom, with occasional good days to temporarily puncture the despair, for 30 years. An entire generation. We almost lost our club and have lost our league status. Of course, life goes on, and the Rothwells have brought hope and optimism, thank goodness. I hope the Ukrainians one day throw out the Russians and rebuild their country, but there isn’t much point comparing their immense suffering with being a Latics fan - we can’t relate to it. The comparison trivialises their ordeal and offers false comfort to Latics supporters.

Shankly famously said football is more important than life and death. Now of course on one level that’s nonsense, but football fans everywhere know what he meant.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

I understand the point you’re making and I fully support your optimism for the season ahead. But speaking of a sense of perspective, and making comparisons with Covid or Ukraine, is whataboutery really. This is a football forum and fans of our club have known nothing but doom and gloom, with occasional good days to temporarily puncture the despair, for 30 years. An entire generation. We almost lost our club and have lost our league status. Of course, life goes on, and the Rothwells have brought hope and optimism, thank goodness. I hope the Ukrainians one day throw out the Russians and rebuild their country, but there isn’t much point comparing their immense suffering with being a Latics fan - we can’t relate to it. The comparison trivialises their ordeal and offers false comfort to Latics supporters.

Shankly famously said football is more important than life and death. Now of course on one level that’s nonsense, but football fans everywhere know what he meant.

I'm trivialising our ordeal because in reality its trivial who we play upfront. Not just to the wider worlds problems but even to the problems in the very recent past where we have been on the bring of losing the club.

Shankly was talking out of his arse.

Edited by GlossopLatic

• 3 months later...
On 7/19/2023 at 12:39 PM, League one forever said:

I’d wager that Fondop will score more than him in open play this season, despite getting less minutes. 

Update on this:

Nuttall - 1

Fondop - 0

I reckon now they'll both be frozen out and binned before the season's end. 😁

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Update on this:

Nuttall - 1

Fondop - 0

Frozen out 🤔 maybe, but binned?…that’s wishful thinking, especially on the part of Nuttall!

Absolutely nobody is going to match his wages…a loan out somewhere would be the very best we could hope for!😞

What a bloody horrendous signing!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Update on this:

Nuttall - 1

Fondop - 0

😂

I still fancy my chances Franky.

I think Nuttall will be played less and less, and he doesn’t affect games in 90 minutes let alone as a sub, but Mikey still has the he super sub tag about him- and I’d fancy him to get a couple (That’s all he’ll need 😁) from a little cameo. 

• Like 1