Just back from the game, another new ground ticked off. 
Enjoyed the game, we should have scored 10, they should have scored 5. Hudson made an unbelievable save 2nd half to tip a point blank header against the bar. Very unlike a typical DU game, with 2 teams looking to attack at every opportunity. 1st half we looked poor defensively, Couto got ran ragged by their winger who looked really good, to be fair he got no support from Tollitt in thar area. 

Hope, Reid, Fondop and Tollitt all looked sharp attacking, and midfield got forward well too. Subs made an impact, they couldn’t live with Green or Willoughby, and i’m a big fan of Lundstram so far. Ward was quiet on Saturday, but also better. 
Not getting carried away after 2 draws to teams lower in the pyramid, and won’t be after tonights result. Can’t see us coming up against a worse defence than theirs all season. Good to see incremental improvements in each of the 3 games though, which is the point of pre-season.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, daniel said:

and i’m a big fan of Lundstram so far.

Heard this from several people from our pre season matches. Early days but I think he's our player of the season material. Midfield was a gaping weakness last two seasons and teams dominated against us in this area. Whilst its early to say, I'm quietly optimistic about Lundstram.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Can't wait for all the ones who were fuming over two draws now being the ones saying "its only preseason, it's only Chorley"

And Cueto is still shite?

Amazing what adding a little pace and movement to a forward line does.

Much better tonight, other than the two full backs who I thought struggled everyone else made a decent contribution.

I wasn't sure about Hudson but he's improved since last season, commanded his area really well and organised the defence well tonight, very vocal. Hobson looked a completely different player on the right side of two centrehalfs and made some crunching tackles, I liked the look of Hobson/Raglan and think Unsworths got a bit of an headache perming two from three at the back now.

Much better shape to the team though and we looked slick going forward and should of scored more, vulnerable at the back though and we were lucky to keep it down to one against.

How fit does Fondop look? Looks in the best shape of his career and should be a real handful this season.

Nuttall will have to fight hard to get back in after what I've seen tonight as every other striker appears to have stepped up to the plate.

On to the next one Saturday, should be a few there and hopefully we will kick on again, hopefully with a new rightback.

Anyone else see McGahey tonight? He looks in good shape and as fit as he's ever been, is he still contracted?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

I think that he had one, maybe two good games last year.

Season long loan at Scunthorpe would do him, them and us the world of good

Completely agree.

Rhino’s close season business looks good but there’s a mistake hanging over him from last season. 
Start afresh please and learn the lesson from tonight. 
Mikey, Reid, King Kurt, Green and H between them offer more of a goal threat it seems than whenever Nuttall is involved. 
whether it’s a transfer fee issue or something else, I’d love to know the logic behind Rhinos preference to start him before others. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Oldham_till_i_die said:

@Monty Burns

”Nuttall is our main man this season”.

All he’s proved to me is that we can score when he doesn’t play. Our other 3 strikers add so much more, as they proved tonight.

Very simply put, but to be fair, during this competitive pre-season so far , it’s actually perfectly true! 

With tonight’s superb attacking momentum we’ve shown going forward, along with our clinical finishing and the injection of confidence it gave the whole team, does Nuttall deserve some game time at Curzon Ashton on Saturday? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Le miserable1 said:

Glad that at long last some of you are beginning to smell the coffee.Nuttall will be our Achilles heel this season unless Unsworth swallows some pride and gets rid.

I am not saying get rid, I just think that he needs a confidence booster. He has been unable to adjust. If he goes out on loan to a team where he is the main man and bags 20 up to xmas, then bring him back.

Following on from HP's question on free scoring in an attacking side, then yes, give him game time on Saturday. If he fails to score, loan him out whereupon the above is applicable.

8 hours ago, daniel said:

Just back from the game, another new ground ticked off. 
Enjoyed the game, we should have scored 10, they should have scored 5. Hudson made an unbelievable save 2nd half to tip a point blank header against the bar. Very unlike a typical DU game, with 2 teams looking to attack at every opportunity. 1st half we looked poor defensively, Couto got ran ragged by their winger who looked really good, to be fair he got no support from Tollitt in thar area. 

Hope, Reid, Fondop and Tollitt all looked sharp attacking, and midfield got forward well too. Subs made an impact, they couldn’t live with Green or Willoughby, and i’m a big fan of Lundstram so far. Ward was quiet on Saturday, but also better. 
Not getting carried away after 2 draws to teams lower in the pyramid, and won’t be after tonights result. Can’t see us coming up against a worse defence than theirs all season. Good to see incremental improvements in each of the 3 games though, which is the point of pre-season.

excellent 😎

just want to say that @b0ndl1ne has the highest standards and an eye like BP. he said Lundstrum is quality before we played away at Atrincham so we can all mark him down as very good already!!

Sluggish in the first couple of games… proof Unsworth is defensive and shit.

Attacking football and win scoring a bunch of goals… proof Nuttall is shit. 

Weird need to prove negatives about the club. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Le miserable1 said:

Glad that at long last some of you are beginning to smell the coffee.Nuttall will be our Achilles heel this season unless Unsworth swallows some pride and gets rid.

We won 6-1 and you are having a pop at player that didn't even play.

I admire your determination to find a negative.

We won, enjoy it!

• Like 2

Sounds more like it.  6-1 in a friendly or otherwise can't be sniffed at.

Chorley were decent last season too, weren't they?

For all the new signings, Green and Big Mike are going to be key players for us this year..

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Heard this from several people from our pre season matches. Early days but I think he's our player of the season material. Midfield was a gaping weakness last two seasons and teams dominated against us in this area. Whilst its early to say, I'm quietly optimistic about Lundstram.

Could easily be talking about Neil Wood in the 06/07 pre-season there...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

👍

I also like Reid a lot, but the grief Nuttall gets is bizarre. 16 league goals last season for two pretty shit teams. But he doesn't sprint about enough!!

Yes, if the criticism of Nuttall is based purely on his work rate then I'd say that's more of an indictment of modern football and coaching mantras.

The only time I remember Gerd Muller being outside the opposition penalty box was entering/leaving the pitch at KO, H/T and F/T but he would have walked into any team in the world in his prime.