38 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Some people critique fairly but some people just come across as if they're bashing players/managers unfairly and at every opportunity. The complaints from others are for the latter not the former. So if you're doing the former then the complaints aren't aimed at you!

This 😃

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Nuttall will score more goals than Fondop will make league starts...

After last night I think Fondop has helped his chances, looks a different player and I'll give Unsworth his due he does manage to get a tune out of Fondop and appears to have given him new focus, whether that can be sustained is another argument but I'd say Fondop must have a chance of 20+ goals this season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

People having a go at Nuttall for having a bad touch and then praising Fondop 😂

I like Fondop and he’s a good sub, but he can’t control a football. 

No one is praising Fondop’s touch. . 🤷🏻‍♂️

We’re saying he has more effect on the game and he’s a better finisher. 

Big Mike was our top scorer last season.

He also scores the spectacular, when nothing seems on.

If he's come back even fitter and better, he's got to be first-choice striker, surely?

I pick holes in things, but pointing out his touch is shit when he's our leading scorer is a bit odd.  He can sit in the centre-circle for the majority of matches, if he gets 20 goals this season for me...

6 minutes ago, JoeP said:

If he's come back even fitter and better, he's got to be first-choice striker, surely?

I pick holes in things, but pointing out his touch is shit when he's our leading scorer is a bit odd.  He can sit in the centre-circle for the majority of matches, if he gets 20 goals this season for me...

Nuttall scored more than Fondop last season. 

6 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

As I mentioned earlier he was clapped off at Southport, he isn't everybodies cup of tea but I certainly haven't seen anybody booing him and the fans are behind him.

This forum and other platforms are full with people getting all precious if you have an opinion which is viewed as slightly negative or a bit left field. Why can't we discuss players in a forum, say it as we see it? Shall we just all come out with the same generic shite because he's 'one of our own', if he's got any sense he won't read what us plebs have to say and go about his job in the best way he can but for me he's been disappointing particularly as he was Unsworth' marquee signing and we pushed the boat out for him.

5 hours ago, Le miserable1 said:

Last season Nuttall scored 16 goals in over 40 league games 9 of those were penalties,that is seven from open play,add to that he rarely makes an assist,play frequently breaks down because his first touch is crap or he isn’t strong enough to hold onto it,he runs full pelt 30 yards at a goalkeeper who he must know is just going to pick the ball up when he gets close,he runs at defenders but stops short of making a challenge(he actually did make a very good challenge at Southport,but you can count them on your thumbs) I have watched Latics for 62 years and watched every game Nuttall played for us last season if he doesn’t shape up before the start of the season he needs replacing.By the way one of the goals from open play was a gift from Jordan Clarke.

5 hours ago, League one forever said:

Yep. 

If you like Nuttall, then fine- make your case. 

But it seems if you don’t - and want to discuss his place in the team it’s overly negative or finding things for the sake of it- which is just as odd as those saying finding negatives is odd. 

It’s just discussion- on our teams forum. 

I’m not sure what Nuttall is, or to be more specific what his strengths are. 

He doesn’t win a lot of headers/flick on’s for a bloke his size, his hold play is poor, and he doesn’t really run the channels. Now all of that is fine- if he can finish,  but he missed a load of chances last year which for our ‘main striker’ isn’t great. 

I’d wager that Fondop will score more than him in open play this season, despite getting less minutes. 

saying he's shit because he hasn't scored the "right kind" of goals is lazy. Still gotta score. Penalty or not.

Reid misses more easy chances than anyone. So strange when people big him up and slate Nuttall

8 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Fondop my favourite striker. Great return on minutes played

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

Nuttall scored more than Fondop last season. 

Fondop scored more goals per minute

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I completely missed the memo that penalties don't count anymore btw, when did that come in?

Tbf though our penalty record was excellent before Nuttall came

You’d think all clubs put their shittest strikers on penalties to give them a few freebies and boost their confidence. 

1 minute ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Ah yes, of course

Also enjoyed the criticism that he only scored 16 in 40. Only 8 players in the league scored more, but still. Shite apparently. 

There’s also a rule where his Scunthorpe goals don’t count either. So excluding them and pens, he’s a 1 in 6 man for us. 

• Like 1

Just now, League one forever said:

There’s also a rule where his Scunthorpe goals don’t count either. So excluding them and pens, he’s a 1 in 6 man for us. 

😄

Why can't People just be positive? We've got 4 really good options now up front. A guy with 16 last season, Reid who has hit 20+ in this league, Willoughby who got 20 in the league below and Fondop who was our top scorer last season. Jesus Christ, in most seasons the last decade I'd have taken just one striker who could shoot

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Anyonelse really excited by the fact that we have 4 genuinely good strikers.

All of whom are proven at this level, all of whom will get into the majority of teams at this level, and all of whom will all find the back of the net. The fact they are all having to fight for 2 or at the most 3 places is something to really look forward too.

Edited by GlossopLatic
GBP Has beaten me to the punch see above also

8 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

😄

Why can't People just be positive? We've got 4 really good options now up front. A guy with 16 last season, Reid who has hit 20+ in this league, Willoughby who got 20 in the league below and Fondop who was our top scorer last season. Jesus Christ, in most seasons the last decade I'd have taken just one striker who could shoot

4 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Anyonelse really excited by the fact that we have 4 genuinely good strikers all of whom are proven at this level and will all find the back of the net. The fact they are all having to fight for 2 or at the most 3 places is something to really look forward too.

Weirdly we seem to be trying for another striker. Just get a right back and maybe another centre mid to help Lundstrum please lads.

1 minute ago, mick26 said:

Weirdly we seem to be trying for another striker. Just get a right back and maybe another centre mid to help Lundstrum please lads.

I don’t think we need another CM. Sheron, Shelton (just not both), Ward and Gardner (if fit) is sufficient I think. A quality RB is essential, and maybe some extra width in midfield. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

All of whom are proven at this level, all of whom will get into the majority of teams at this level, and all of whom will all find the back of the net. The fact they are all having to fight for 2 or at the most 3 places is something to really look forward too.

Totally. There’ll be injuries, suspensions, dips in form etc but we still should have decent quality to choose from. 

Weren’t we relying on Chris Porter this time last year?!

32 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

If I'm being honest, no. I think Reid and Willoughby are fine. Fondop is a good impact player, but I really believe that we should replace Nuttall with a substantial upgrade. Everyone has their own opinion. I think he's ponderous, has a poor first touch, has no pace, doesn't chase defenders down and doesn't even attempt to track back when he loses the ball. 

Hopefully, he'll prove me wrong. 

• Like 3