Clearly going against the grain with this opinion but I think there's an anti-Nuttall vibe purely because he 'looks' lackadaisical and lazy. The real picture is that with him and Reid up front we were at our most potent, even if he didn't get most of the goals. He operated as a hold-up front man because he was often having to drop deep due to our sacrificing of space in midfield. Don't forget we were something like the second or third top scoring team for half a season and that was with Nuttall in the side for most of it. Whether you like him or not, he played a part of that either by pulling defenders with him to create space for others or with assists. He scored 16 goals (aye, some penalties) over the course of a season which isn't the terrible return people are making out in their hot takes.

Personally, I don't think we're playing to his skill set and he needs the service and the ball playing in areas in front of him. I know for sure most fans would have Fondop in the side to replace him but he's clearly a different beast when coming off the bench against tired defenders rather than starting.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Clearly going against the grain with this opinion but I think there's an anti-Nuttall vibe purely because he 'looks' lackadaisical and lazy. The real picture is that with him and Reid up front we were at our most potent, even if he didn't get most of the goals. He operated as a hold-up front man because he was often having to drop deep due to our sacrificing of space in midfield. Don't forget we were something like the second or third top scoring team for half a season and that was with Nuttall in the side for most of it. Whether you like him or not, he played a part of that either by pulling defenders with him to create space for others or with assists. He scored 16 goals (aye, some penalties) over the course of a season which isn't the terrible return people are making out in their hot takes.

Personally, I don't think we're playing to his skill set and he needs the service and the ball playing in areas in front of him. I know for sure most fans would have Fondop in the side to replace him but he's clearly a different beast when coming off the bench against tired defenders rather than starting.

He isn't an hold up front man though, invariably any ball played up to him bounces off his shins and nothing sticks.

As for playing the ball in front of him he lacks the ability to play off the last man like Willoughby and Reid, he isn't the best at running on to anything and for the majority of games I saw lost plenty of battles.

I also don't agree about Fondop, he's gone away and worked exceptionally hard this summer, he's  a different beast this season and physically looks in great shape, on the three games we've seen Nuttall has done nothing of any note, he himself looks sharper and fitter but with the strikers we have on the books now needs to offer more because as loyal as Unsworth has been to him he won't get away with selecting him in front of players who are obviously in better form, it's not about getting on a players back - he was fucking clapped off at Southport after behaving like a bellend, people have highlighted concerns and generally I agree. It will be interesting how its dealt with in the coming season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

He isn't an hold up front man though, invariably any ball played up to him bounces off his shins and nothing sticks.

As for playing the ball in front of him he lacks the ability to play off the last man like Willoughby and Reid, he isn't the best at running on to anything and for the majority of games I saw lost plenty of battles.

I also don't agree about Fondop, he's gone away and worked exceptionally hard this summer, he's  a different beast this season and physically looks in great shape, on the three games we've seen Nuttall has done nothing of any note, he himself looks sharper and fitter but with the strikers we have on the books now needs to offer more because as loyal as Unsworth has been to him he won't get away with selecting him in front of players who are obviously in better form, it's not about getting on a players back - he was fucking clapped off at Southport after behaving like a bellend, people have highlighted concerns and generally I agree. It will be interesting how its dealt with in the coming season.

I'll never get my head round people doing that - more often than not it costs the team

22 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I think this illustrates that we need them all, not too sure about Nuttall myself but there’s moments I wasn’t sure about Reid or Fondop either for a time, and even if Nuttall chips in with a couple of pivotal penalties then it can’t be a bad thing . I just hope the manager recognises the need to change things at the right time depending on who the opposition are and how they’re impacting us. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Clearly going against the grain with this opinion but I think there's an anti-Nuttall vibe purely because he 'looks' lackadaisical and lazy.

Couldn't agree more.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, True Tic said:

I think this illustrates that we need them all, not too sure about Nuttall myself but there’s moments I wasn’t sure about Reid or Fondop either for a time, and even if Nuttall chips in with a couple of pivotal penalties then it can’t be a bad thing . I just hope the manager recognises the need to change things at the right time depending on who the opposition are and how they’re impacting us. 

Having four strikers, three of whom are proven at the level, and ne who has shown abundant promise one tier lower down can't be a bad thing

2 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Here’s an idea…

He’s our player so let’s get behind him.

As I mentioned earlier he was clapped off at Southport, he isn't everybodies cup of tea but I certainly haven't seen anybody booing him and the fans are behind him.

This forum and other platforms are full with people getting all precious if you have an opinion which is viewed as slightly negative or a bit left field. Why can't we discuss players in a forum, say it as we see it? Shall we just all come out with the same generic shite because he's 'one of our own', if he's got any sense he won't read what us plebs have to say and go about his job in the best way he can but for me he's been disappointing particularly as he was Unsworth' marquee signing and we pushed the boat out for him.

• Like 6

To be fair a lot on here are rather more than "slightly negative" towards Nuttall. As a previous poster stated his apparent nonchalance does seem to influence their opinions, rightly or wrongly.

One thing is obvious after last night's performance is that Fondop has come out fighting, put in a great, full 90 minutes and as it stands should be in our starting eleven. 

If Nuttall responds positively we'll have a bloody marvellous problem ! 😄

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

To be fair a lot on here are rather more than "slightly negative" towards Nuttall. As a previous poster stated his apparent nonchalance does seem to influence their opinions, rightly or wrongly.

One thing is obvious after last night's performance is that Fondop has come out fighting, put in a great, full 90 minutes and as it stands should be in our starting eleven. 

If Nuttall responds positively we'll have a bloody marvellous problem ! 😄

Totally agree.

Last season Nuttall scored 16 goals in over 40 league games 9 of those were penalties,that is seven from open play,add to that he rarely makes an assist,play frequently breaks down because his first touch is crap or he isn’t strong enough to hold onto it,he runs full pelt 30 yards at a goalkeeper who he must know is just going to pick the ball up when he gets close,he runs at defenders but stops short of making a challenge(he actually did make a very good challenge at Southport,but you can count them on your thumbs) I have watched Latics for 62 years and watched every game Nuttall played for us last season if he doesn’t shape up before the start of the season he needs replacing.By the way one of the goals from open play was a gift from Jordan Clarke.

31 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

This forum and other platforms are full with people getting all precious if you have an opinion which is viewed as slightly negative or a bit left field. Why can't we discuss players in a forum, say it as we see it?

Yep. 

If you like Nuttall, then fine- make your case. 

But it seems if you don’t - and want to discuss his place in the team it’s overly negative or finding things for the sake of it- which is just as odd as those saying finding negatives is odd. 

It’s just discussion- on our teams forum. 

I’m not sure what Nuttall is, or to be more specific what his strengths are. 

He doesn’t win a lot of headers/flick on’s for a bloke his size, his hold play is poor, and he doesn’t really run the channels. Now all of that is fine- if he can finish,  but he missed a load of chances last year which for our ‘main striker’ isn’t great. 

I’d wager that Fondop will score more than him in open play this season, despite getting less minutes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, True Tic said:

I think this illustrates that we need them all, not too sure about Nuttall myself but there’s moments I wasn’t sure about Reid or Fondop either for a time, and even if Nuttall chips in with a couple of pivotal penalties then it can’t be a bad thing  I just hope the manager recognises the need to change things at the right time depending on who the opposition are and how they’re impacting us. 

This.

There were games last season when playing Fondop and Nuttall was the best option as both were overpowering the opposition's defenders.

There were also games last season when playing Reid and Willoughby (then Timmy) would have been the best option as the defenders were powerful but slow so pace was the way to go.

This is why I really enjoyed one of  Unsworth's responses at the most recent fans forum. Picking the team, and as a by-product the formation, based on the best way to beat the opposition with the players available is the way to go. It isn't an either or situation and while I don't think Fondop and Nuttall will play much together in the upcoming season, they probably should do for some games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Yes, if the criticism of Nuttall is based purely on his work rate then I'd say that's more of an indictment of modern football and coaching mantras.

The only time I remember Gerd Muller being outside the opposition penalty box was entering/leaving the pitch at KO, H/T and F/T but he would have walked into any team in the world in his prime.

His first touch is woeful, a striker doesn't need to run his bollocks off, but he should be capable of a quick give and go. 

• Like 2

Never been a big critic of Nuttall, but 0 team goals in 120 or so preseason minutes with Nuttall and 7 in the 110 or so without looks noticeable.

I know it's only preseason, but based on that and the daft red card I'd say he should be #4 in our striker pecking order at the moment

I think it would make sense to just pick off form up front while we have 4 decent options so they all know where they stand and it reduces the chance of unrest within the squad in a few months time

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

yep. he runs more than anybody else, gets fouled more than anybody else and scores more goals than almost anybody else.

so its nailed on that some Latics 'fans' have him down as lazy.

if he was lazy he would be offside and he never is.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

As I mentioned earlier he was clapped off at Southport, he isn't everybodies cup of tea but I certainly haven't seen anybody booing him and the fans are behind him.

l noticed that and was pretty chuffed for him.

I think the reason he isn’t caught offside very often is because he very rarely gets near the opposition back line,certainly doesn’t seem to play that type of game.His strike partners look measurably worse when they partner him than they do when they partner any of the other strikers.

2 minutes ago, Le miserable1 said:

As far as his running is concerned it’s mostly ghost running that has absolutely no bearing on the game I can do that but I can’t play football very well.

Ah the ghost run. . 

Im gonna jog over here, so the gaffer sees I’m doing a bit- then look back at the team in bewilderment that they haven’t seen my jinking run into useless space. 😂

Some people critique fairly but some people just come across as if they're bashing players/managers unfairly and at every opportunity. The complaints from others are for the latter not the former. So if you're doing the former then the complaints aren't aimed at you!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

This.

There were games last season when playing Fondop and Nuttall was the best option as both were overpowering the opposition's defenders.

There were also games last season when playing Reid and Willoughby (then Timmy) would have been the best option as the defenders were powerful but slow so pace was the way to go.

This is why I really enjoyed one of  Unsworth's responses at the most recent fans forum. Picking the team, and as a by-product the formation, based on the best way to beat the opposition with the players available is the way to go. It isn't an either or situation and while I don't think Fondop and Nuttall will play much together in the upcoming season, they probably should do for some games.

Unsworths response goes without saying. The ability and skills your players have must dictate the way you play. Cant put a round peg into a square hole an all that.We would all like to play the way top European/Spanish clubs play but we don't have a Messi.But we do have Reid and Willoughby. And it's up to Unsworth to decide on team,formation,tactics etc. that's what he's paid to do.I personally doubt he has the ability but I hope he does.Last night was a good start so fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, Le miserable1 said:

Last season Nuttall scored 16 goals in over 40 league games 9 of those were penalties,that is seven from open play,add to that he rarely makes an assist,play frequently breaks down because his first touch is crap or he isn’t strong enough to hold onto it,he runs full pelt 30 yards at a goalkeeper who he must know is just going to pick the ball up when he gets close,he runs at defenders but stops short of making a challenge(he actually did make a very good challenge at Southport,but you can count them on your thumbs) I have watched Latics for 62 years and watched every game Nuttall played for us last season if he doesn’t shape up before the start of the season he needs replacing.By the way one of the goals from open play was a gift from Jordan Clarke.

I also observed he looks as if he's goes to challenge for the ball, but often doesn't get there first. He's also rarely in the penalty area. As mentioned his goal ratio without penalties is poor and unless he adds more desire to his game he won't improve I'm afraid and other strikers should be preferred.

This is constructive criticism and hopefully he will work hard to prove he's the first choice.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

Unsworths response goes without saying. The ability and skills your players have must dictate the way you play. Cant put a round peg into a square hole an all that.We would all like to play the way top European/Spanish clubs play but we don't have a Messi.But we do have Reid and Willoughby. And it's up to Unsworth to decide on team,formation,tactics etc. that's what he's paid to do.I personally doubt he has the ability but I hope he does.Last night was a good start so fingers crossed.

you can if the diameter of the peg is less than the area of the square hole

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

I’d wager that Fondop will score more than him in open play this season, despite getting less minutes. 

I’d take that bet on, in a tenner to the oppositions charity of choice style of thing. I think Nuttall will receive more service this season.