BPAS PODCAST: 31st July '23, S4E2: 2023/24 Predictions

33 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

Exactly. Despite the fact that they’ve been under a transfer embargo for twelve months, lost plenty of players in that time without being able to replace them, had no pre season as such, they ‘re hanging by a thread and their owner is still their ripping the heart and soul out of the club and have only 14 registered players, they’ve no excuses.

A point would be a great result...

30 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Have you ever seen Kitching or Green ‘keep narrow’ when they play? I haven’t 😮

Yeah, more so Kitchen. That’s not to say he doesn’t get forward when we have the ball. He’s really good at the overlap runs. 

But out of position, yeah they keep very narrow and it’s a compact team that is happy to sit back. We have seen it in all DU games. 

1 hour ago, Steve_R said:

Exactly. Despite the fact that they’ve been under a transfer embargo for twelve months, lost plenty of players in that time without being able to replace them, had no pre season as such, they ‘re hanging by a thread and their owner is still their ripping the heart and soul out of the club and have only 14 registered players, they’ve no excuses.

All factors that are going to be used as motivation on Saturday by both the crowd and the team. They could well play Saturday like a cup final like their lives depended on it.

21 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

All factors that are going to be used as motivation on Saturday by both the crowd and the team. They could well play Saturday like a cup final like their lives depended on it.

As should we...... and that applies to every minute of every game if we have plans to be successful this season.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

The off the field issues were used as an excuse for many of our fans when the players got us relegated in 2022, why would Southend players be spurred on? We should bang them like Brighton banged us on the opening day in 2003 when we had had a turbulent summer...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, League one forever said:

So with fabulous owners, it seems like we still can’t the judge the manager if he struggles- after 12 months in charge and relatively great backing 

How does that work? 

You can if he struggles. We've not kicked a ball this season and last season, not saying I liked the look and feel, his results markedly improved over time. If that trajectory continues we'll be there or thereabouts this season. Yet for many he's on his last warning. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

The off the field issues were used as an excuse for many of our fans when the players got us relegated in 2022, why would Southend players be spurred on? We should bang them like Brighton banged us on the opening day in 2003 when we had had a turbulent summer...

Different set of circumstances that was over the course of a season this is a one off game.

Should Southends troubles continue for a few more months over the course of the season we have no excuse for not finishing significantly higher than they do. On a one off game anything can happen.

13 minutes ago, Ackey said:

I did that maths (ish!) and they're hard to argue with in terms of improvement of result. I accept that to watch is entirely different. 

(Games 1-9 were Shez)

image.png

Coming on here with facts and figures. Who do you think you are?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve_R said:

or l suppose you could double down on it all 🙄

go on really go for it, don't hold back. if we draw with southend or even lose make sure you proper lay into all the players and the happy clappers and the fat cunt manager old man owner.

jesus what is wrong with us lot. an actual group of fans getting giddy to try and drag their own down and stamp on their faces. world is mental.

43 minutes ago, Ackey said:

You can if he struggles. We've not kicked a ball this season and last season, not saying I liked the look and feel, his results markedly improved over time. If that trajectory continues we'll be there or thereabouts this season. Yet for many he's on his last warning. 

Yep, and I’m fairly confident we’ll do ok/well. 

I’m just defending the right to criticise if he struggles, but hopefully he won’t and we’ll all be happy as pigs in shit. 

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

theyve already been panicked into restricting our allocation, from a purely sporting point of view l doff my cap to them. corney would never do it, but l think Frank has toyed with the idea.

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Yep, and I’m fairly confident we’ll do ok/well. 

I’m just defending the right to criticise if he struggles, but hopefully he won’t and we’ll all be happy as pigs in shit. 

'defending the right to criticise IF he struggles' against the backdrop of people already boooing at pre season friendlies doesn't sit thruthfully. it isnt a hollistic view.

likewise lve seen it coming tried to fight it and probably made it worse on a couple of individual levels!!

l think l'm trying to hard to understand the mentallity of the boo brigade and its getting me down!!

for the record lm not counting you as boo brigade, l think thats why l seem to quote you a lot.

lve actually only just started looking at usernames a bit more, instead of just tryna glitter bomb the forum with positivity and enthusiasm then snapping once a month because l can't identify a troll from a passionate but downtrodden fan!!

51 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

or l suppose you could double down on it all 🙄

go on really go for it, don't hold back. if we draw with southend or even lose make sure you proper lay into all the players and the happy clappers and the fat cunt manager old man owner.

jesus what is wrong with us lot. an actual group of fans getting giddy to try and drag their own down and stamp on their faces. world is mental.

I’ve no idea what you’re on about, but I expect us to win on Saturday and am confident we will.

It seem that if anyone expects us to challenge at the top of the table this season and thinks that we will, then apparently they don’t really think that. They’re setting the bar too high so they can have a right good moan when we’re underneath it.

The ones who feel positive are really the negative ones it would appear.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

'defending the right to criticise IF he struggles' against the backdrop of people already boooing at pre season friendlies doesn't sit thruthfully. it isnt a hollistic view.

likewise lve seen it coming tried to fight it and probably made it worse on a couple of individual levels!!

l think l'm trying to hard to understand the mentallity of the boo brigade and its getting me down!!

for the record lm not counting you as boo brigade, l think thats why l seem to quote you a lot.

lve actually only just started looking at usernames a bit more, instead of just tryna glitter bomb the forum with positivity and enthusiasm then snapping once a month because l can't identify a troll from a passionate but downtrodden fan!!

I could have worded it better, but if struggles in Oct/Nov and people start asking questions. A lot will say - ‘ah typical, you’ve been waiting for this- why can’t you see the bigger picture- etc etc.  

When the truth is simply this- it’s more than reasonable to criticise if he doesn’t win over a longer period of time - because that’s his Job. (Said in Sean Dyche voice😂)

If he does win - then happy days. 

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I could have worded it better, but if struggles in Oct/Nov and people start asking questions. A lot will say - ‘ah typical, you’ve been waiting for this- why can’t you see the bigger picture- etc etc.  

When the truth is simply this- it’s more than reasonable to criticise if he doesn’t win over a longer period of time - because that’s his Job. (Said in Sean Dyche voice😂)

If he does win - then happy days. 

yeah l thought thats what you meant but l was juscheckin!!!

tbh if we where we were last nov and the midfielders are getting six touches per game then he can fuckoff 🤣

l highly doubt that tho

13 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

yeah l thought thats what you meant but l was juscheckin!!!

tbh if we where we were last nov and the midfielders are getting six touches per game then he can fuckoff 🤣

l highly doubt that tho

Yep, agreed. 

For all this talk I don’t actually expect him to struggle. I think he’ll go fairly well. 

15 hours ago, League one forever said:

I’m not for one minute advocating getting on his back after a few games,

but if he’s bottom half in Oct/Nov then it’s not unreasonable for fans to question him. Or do you not think that’s fair? 

Some are already warming up to do that (if it happens) and that isn't going to help.....

Totally fair..... but that's not what we're arguing against.

6 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Given the summer we've had and the summer they've had, I think we should be beating Southend. No excuses.

Does that make me impatient?

A bit I think. We all know all results are possible in football. But yes, we should be beating them.

8 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Given the summer we've had and the summer they've had, I think we should be beating Southend. No excuses.

Does that make me impatient?

yes. but l'm impatient too, l think we all are. it's how we deal with it. not very well l'm going with 🤣