BPAS PODCAST: 31st July '23, S4E2: 2023/24 Predictions

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

yes. but l'm impatient too, l think we all are. it's how we deal with it. not very well l'm going with 🤣

Yes, I mean booing, in reality won't help the players or management.  I can't say I've never booed at the final whistle, although I think often people boo because of the result/performance, rather than picking on anyone individually (booing Nuttall at a friendly in Southport is another level..).  I'm not going on Saturday - would I boo if we got turned over by Southend on Saturday, if I was there?  I'd probably just think "Fuck this for a game of soldiers" and slope off to the pub, but would I have empathy if someone did who's paid a fair whack to go down with the added incentive that we should be challenging this year and beating a team in turmoil?  I think I would..

It's interesting that on the podcast in the past they've talked about the psychology of fans who are negative and boo.  I think it works both ways - we're now in a position, probably for the first time since 1991, that we are expected to do something, but as the season start moves closer, there seems to have been a bit of a drop in expectation and the appeal for patience has started before a ball has been kicked (like there's been moaning, to be fair).  It's like, after the last 33 years of decline - we're scared of success and being demanding!

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Yes, I mean booing, in reality won't help the players or management.  I can't say I've never booed at the final whistle, although I think often people boo because of the result/performance, rather than picking on anyone individually (booing Nuttall at a friendly in Southport is another level..).  I'm not going on Saturday - would I boo if we got turned over by Southend on Saturday, if I was there?  I'd probably just think "Fuck this for a game of soldiers" and slope off to the pub, but I would have empathy for someone who's paid a fair whack to go down with the added incentive that we should be challenging this year and beating a team in turmoil?  I think I would..

It's interesting that on the podcast in the past they've talked about the psychology of fans who are negative and boo.  I think it works both ways - we're now in a position, probably for the first time since 1991, that we are expected to do something, but as the season start moves closer, there seems to have been a bit of a drop in expectation and the appeal for patience has started before a ball has been kicked (like there's been moaning, to be fair).  It's like, after the last 33 years of decline - we're scared of success and being demanding!

it feels to me like it used to feel before playing!!! l'm all snappy and nervous. its fuckin wednesday and asif lve even seen this level as a player ffs 🙄🙄🙄

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Yes, I mean booing, in reality won't help the players or management.  I can't say I've never booed at the final whistle, although I think often people boo because of the result/performance, rather than picking on anyone individually (booing Nuttall at a friendly in Southport is another level..).  I'm not going on Saturday - would I boo if we got turned over by Southend on Saturday, if I was there?  I'd probably just think "Fuck this for a game of soldiers" and slope off to the pub, but would I have empathy for someone who's paid a fair whack to go down with the added incentive that we should be challenging this year and beating a team in turmoil?  I think I would..

I'm predicting that, as we did with the 'Keep the Faith', 'Incremental improvements' will be sewn into our shirts from 26/27 onwards. 

• Like 2

• Matt featured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2023 at 8:56 PM, oafcmetty said:

I'd just like to come out of a match thinking, yep, we dominated that and deserved the win.

On 8/1/2023 at 9:03 PM, LightDN123 said:

Not having a dig at DU before anyone shoots me down. But I just don’t think we will ever feel that under him. We sit back, keep narrow and hope the quality of our players will get us through games, that’s just how it is with DU. 

Curious if your views have now changed?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Curious if your views have now changed?

Typically I couldn’t make Saturday as away. So no unfortunately not 😂 I will watch the game back when I can. Absolutely buzzing with the result and hope we continue to play with the intent it sounds like we did on yesterday !

I want Unsworth to prove me wrong! 

• Matt unfeatured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Come on rudemedic.....surely YOUR VIEW to keep him must now be up for review....??? 🙈

I was indifferent on keeping him after Halifax at home last season. I'm still indifferent now. But because I'm willing to give him a bit more time I want to keep him? I wouldn't care if he was sacked tonight, the same applied in early February.

I was just pointing out the fallacy of giving a manager a whole pre-season and then sacking him after X games, some of which are probably going to be our toughest games of the season. I stick by my logic that he needs 35 points after 23 games. He could have been 6 out of 6 and still need 35 points after 23 games. If he isn't getting 35 points after 23 games I move away from indifference.

4 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

I stick by my logic that he needs 35 points after 23 games. He could have been 6 out of 6 and still need 35 points after 23 games. If he isn't getting 35 points after 23 games I move away from indifference.

30 from the next 17 then. Can't see it.

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

I was indifferent on keeping him after Halifax at home last season. I'm still indifferent now. But because I'm willing to give him a bit more time I want to keep him? I wouldn't care if he was sacked tonight, the same applied in early February.

I was just pointing out the fallacy of giving a manager a whole pre-season and then sacking him after X games, some of which are probably going to be our toughest games of the season. I stick by my logic that he needs 35 points after 23 games. He could have been 6 out of 6 and still need 35 points after 23 games. If he isn't getting 35 points after 23 games I move away from indifference.

I thought we agreed that 75 pts at least would be needed so 38 after 23 games being more realistic to squeeze into the playoffs?

So just the 33pts from 17.

Seems a million miles away....

8 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

I thought we agreed that 75 pts at least would be needed so 38 after 23 games being more realistic to squeeze into the playoffs?

So just the 33pts from 17.

Seems a million miles away....

Yeah but we got 40 points in the second half of last season with an inferior squad. I'm giving him that he'll be able to replicate that. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Aye, close to promotion form at nearly two points a game. 

Not happening. 

30 from 17 is 81 points over a season thats only 6 points more than my target of 75. It is still currently achievable.

We got 29 points from the last 17 games last season, with an inferior squad.

He does need to start replicating that form soon though.

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

30 from 17 is 81 points over a season thats only 6 points more than my target of 75. It is still currently achievable.

I admire your loyalty.....but he needs to go mate.

18 hours ago, rudemedic said:

To be fair, the only points stat that matters (due to changes in personnel and opposition personnel) is that we’ve got 5 points from 6 games.