Unsworth Out

12 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

But surely bigger clubs are constantly scouting dozens if not hundreds of players, no?  I'd guess that any youngster who breaks into a first team is guaranteed a look or two.

The art is taking a player on his potential. 

Some clubs won't do that and want a finished product at 18yo.

Sutton has that potential IMO.

Check this post when he's a lot higher than us in 2 years time.

6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The art is taking a player on his potential. 

Some clubs won't do that and want a finished product at 18yo.

Sutton has that potential IMO.

Check this post when he's a lot higher than us in 2 years time.

I don't need to check it because I'm not saying you're wrong.

• Like 3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Oldham_Athletic_A.F.C._managers#Statistics 

In the 8 seasons Mark Robins has been in charge at Coventry (at least three in turmoil) they now sit prettily in the championship while we have managed 18 managers and two relegations and turmoil. I have no idea how he plays or what his tatics are but he wasnt always a favorite of the supporters. We have has Shez the messiah, Shez the dinosaur, Shez in Shez out Shez shake it all about. Selim and Mr Big Arms Tunisias finest! They cant all have been as shit as we gave them time for. We need to see what happens when Unsworth learns his trade properly. Personally I think its miles to soon to pull the trigger. We have a team that most are contracted till the end of next season. No one dies if we dont get promoted its really not that important in the grand scheme of things, time is something we have. patience clearly something we need to learn. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, andy_b_100 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Oldham_Athletic_A.F.C._managers#Statistics 

In the 8 seasons Mark Robins has been in charge at Coventry (at least three in turmoil) they now sit prettily in the championship while we have managed 18 managers and two relegations and turmoil. I have no idea how he plays or what his tatics are but he wasnt always a favorite of the supporters. We have has Shez the messiah, Shez the dinosaur, Shez in Shez out Shez shake it all about. Selim and Mr Big Arms Tunisias finest! They cant all have been as shit as we gave them time for. We need to see what happens when Unsworth learns his trade properly. Personally I think its miles to soon to pull the trigger. We have a team that most are contracted till the end of next season. No one dies if we dont get promoted its really not that important in the grand scheme of things, time is something we have. patience clearly something we need to learn. 

lm convinced some people just do it out of habit. yes, there are definate concerns and lots of them coming from legitimate standpoints. but some people are simply stuck in the proven failure of a toxic bad habit that is changing the manager. 

rather ironic that we need to learn how to change by not making a change.

l suppose it's just another reminder to us all that change is not good.

52 minutes ago, andy_b_100 said:

I've not seen anyone support the Lemsegam hiring and firing policy.  A lot of the managers Lemsegam sacked after a short period had shown potential even in the short time they were in charge (e.g Wellens, Bunn, even Dino...).

Unsworth has shown nothing, even though the set-up is probably the best it's ever been at the club.  I'm not taking the run from January as evidence - the games were largely dependent on the opposition missing chances and the games in that period away at Eastleigh and at home to Boreham Wood absolutely stank and were a typical Unsworth performance, just without the result. 

So you've got some managers who, in spite of the shit-show under the Lemsegams showed they had something about them, whereas you've got Unsworth - with everything set-up for him - who hasn't.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I've not seen anyone support the Lemsegam hiring and firing policy.  A lot of the managers Lemsegam sacked after a short period had shown potential even in the short time they were in charge (e.g Wellens, Bunn, even Dino...).

Unsworth has shown nothing, even though the set-up is probably the best it's ever been at the club.  I'm not taking the run from January as evidence - the games were largely dependent on the opposition missing chances and the games in that period away at Eastleigh and at home to Boreham Wood absolutely stank and were a typical Unsworth performance, just without the result. 

So you've got some managers who, in spite of the shit-show under the Lemsegams showed they had something about them, whereas you've got Unsworth - with everything set-up for him - who hasn't.

lve heard the AgendaLads have all but stamped your membership..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The set up may be the best it's ever been now, but it wasn't on the day he walked into the job. And probably 99% of wins in football rely on the opposition misssing chances.

But that aside, if you're not taking the run of form of half a season then is your position that results aren't enough, there has to be 'quality' football too? Or is it more that you don't think he's capable of producing that run again?

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

The set up may be the best it's ever been now, but it wasn't on the day he walked into the job. And probably 99% of wins in football rely on the opposition misssing chances.

But that aside, if you're not taking the run of form of half a season then is your position that results aren't enough, there has to be 'quality' football too? Or is it more that you don't think he's capable of producing that run again?

when it only takes a slight paraphrasing for somebody to literally have said 'l will not accept evidence as evidence' it is probably a lost cause.

if there is an educational law that disallows the use of paraphrase and literal in the same sentence please be aware l did not complete high school education.

23 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I don't think he's capable of producing that run over a season, to get us up.  I also think there should not necessarily be quality football - but football where we impose ourselves on the game (like the Aldershot match..).  If he's planning on playing Rhinoball for the full season, I'll probably give a lot of the games a miss and come and celebrate the promotion at the end of the season (I've served my time, so can't be accused of glory-hunting!) when it's achieved, which would be a shame because after 33 years of nothing, I would like to enjoy a promotion season.

If he plays Rhinoball and still doesn't get us up -  we've really missed an opportunity...

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 1

The most recent relatively successful season (2006/07) when last reached play-offs started P6 W1 D1 L4, so there's no need to panic yet. In the 16 years since then there have been 24 managerial changes. That's 16 years of disruption and transition that have partly contributed to decline. Changing manager is not a guarantee for improvement. The Board will have to balance the investment made in the players the manager has brought in, the additional investment required in appointing a new manager and the likelihood of improvement. The new players and squad need time to settle and injured players return before big decisions are made.  Personally, I'd tell Unsworth he's got till mid October to get the win percentage above 40% which is achievable, any later than that and it will be difficult to make the play-offs. If it becomes clear he cannot achieve this he goes as soon as.  However, it's not my money he's playing with or pies he's eating.

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

I don't think he's capable of producing that run over a season, to get us up.  I also think there should not necessarily be quality football - but football where we impose ourselves on the game (like the Aldershot match..).  If he's planning on playing Rhinoball for the full season, I'll probably give a lot of the games a miss and come and celebrate the promotion at the end of the season (I've served my time, so can't be accused of glory-hunting!) when it's achieved.

If he plays Rhinoball and still doesn't get us up -  we've really missed an opportunity...

His style got some criticism at Everton, which gets referenced and used as evidence against him. But he won the league twice with them! So although premier league u23s are not directly comparible with national league, he has shown he knows how to get a team over the line.

Without checking the stats, I'd guess that the half a season of play off form from him is the best run we've had from any manager over that number of games since Lee Johnson, results-wise.  But that doesn't give him a free pass. The squad is better this season, the facilities are better, everything is in place for him. So no excuses for not being able to recreate that form over a full season. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

not getting a full season would be a pretty good one.

l'd almost certainly not sack him if we don't get promoted this season.

😂 yeah fair enough that would be a reasonable excuse!

6 hours ago, JoeP said:

Unsworth hasn't shown anything. Apart from that half a season of playoff form, but we won't be counting that because it doesn't fit my argument. 

Surely even you must read that post of yours back and think "shit, that's stupid"

I make it that DU has had longer in charge then anyone since Lee Johnson. 

If after the teams “good run” last year, we see a deterioration in results I for one won’t want to give him long.  So the question is, how long should we give it before we can say this seasons results are worse then the end of last season.

Some have said the new players need time to settle. They are all older players, so why do they need time?  As soon as they are match fit they should be firing.

22 minutes ago, Pidge said:

If after the teams “good run” last year, we see a deterioration in results I for one won’t want to give him long.  So the question is, how long should we give it before we can say this seasons results are worse then the end of last season.

More than 4 games surely?

10 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

l should have said provided we make the play offs l suppose.

l might sack him if we finished 8th

As we're not going to finish above Chesterfield 😉

It'll be extremely tough to get promoted but the next two game's will set the bar and if we can come through with 2 wins, it will throw open the gates of opportunity and I'd just love for that to happen.

Please Boreham, have an absolute stinker on Saturday 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Unsworth hasn't shown anything. Apart from that half a season of playoff form, but we won't be counting that because it doesn't fit my argument. 

Surely even you must read that post of yours back and think "shit, that's stupid"

Yeah, ignore the bit where I explained why I don't think Unsworth hasn't shown anything.  And you say my post doesn't fit my argument.

My post is "stupid" but still worth replying to.  😂

If you're struggling with my opinion, it might be better if you block me, to be honest...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Yeah, ignore the bit where I explained why I don't think Unsworth hasn't shown anything.  And you say my post doesn't fit my argument.

My post is "stupid" but still worth replying to.  😂

If you're struggling with my opinion, it might be better if you block me, to be honest...

Where's the fun in that?

Tbh, I think anyone of us on here could have this squad in and around the play-offs and do I expect Unsworth to get us into the play-offs as a minimum (should they keep him that long). Whether finishing 7th is seen as a success, I don't know but i'd expect the club to spin it as a success even if we lost in the play-offs in order to keep him for another season at least. My opinion is, we should  have a proper challenge for the title and if we fell short and ultimately got beat in the play-offs i'd accept that. I don't really buy into the argument he must be given time regardless and it's not the end of the world if we don't go up yet. The longer you stay down in this league, the harder it gets. The teams that come down next year and every year after will have an advantage over us in terms of solidarity payments and then there are always sides on the up throwing money at it (think Forest Green, Fleetwood, Salford, Harrogate etc.) It won't be that long before Macclesfield and Bury will be back at this level so the task will get harder with every passing year. We need to make the most of what we have now, the crowds won't stay at 7,000 plus if we stagnate, we saw that, staying in league 1 for over 20 years. I've said it numerous times but for me if we are not top 5 come October he should be shown the door although i'd happily see him gone tonight.

The reason i suspect the club would spin finishing 7th as a success is because they moved the goalposts last season, from getting in the play-offs when Unsworth was appointed to keeping us up. Shez would easily have kept us up (I'm not saying he was the long term answer) but was sacked early in the season with Unsworth attending games beforehand. Unsworth was always going to be the manager once the takeover was completed, i'm not even sure why they didn't just appoint him straight away. It's now a question of whether Unsworth can deliver to which the jury is very much out and if not, how far are they prepared to go in order to back him. It does feel at the moment they are prepared to follow him over a cliff and no doubt had a word with the likes of Matt Dean to use his platform to ramp up the support for him because it does seem rather odd and a bit over the top how vocal they have become in their support for Unsworth in the last 2 weeks.