Unsworth Out

Yes it does seem odd that as a little bit of controversy about how poorly the club is doing according to a section of the fan base you @PeteG have been increasing your posts in both frequency and length over the past 2 weeks.

I am sure it is just a coincidence really. But then again. 

Edited by whittles left foot
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Yes it does seem odd that as a little bit of controversy about how poorly the club is doing according to a section of the fan base you @PeteG have been increasing your posts in both frequency and length over the past 2 weeks.

I am sure it is just a coincidence really. But then again. 

No I explained this a few weeks ago, not that I have to explain, I don't bother during the close season. I was as positive as anyone when we won 5-1 the other week. I hope i'm proved wrong about Unsworth, i really do, i'm just not convinced i will be. The last time I was as negative about a manager was during Warnocks time with us.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Show me the abusive bit...

"Surely even you must read that post of yours back and think "shit, that's stupid".."

Abusive might be a bit extreme - but it's certainly an over-the-top reaction.

Don't get frustrated, just because we don't share the same opinion, mate...

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, PeteG said:

No I explained this a few weeks ago, not that I have to explain, I don't bother during the close season. I was as positive as anyone when we won 5-1 the other week. I hope i'm proved wrong about Unsworth, i really do, i'm just not convinced i will be. The last time I was as negative about a manager was during Warnocks time with us.

You might just be on to something here. 

Remind me how many successful managers we've had.  Then take your time naming all those that failed.  I wonder what odds you'd get on the next and the next latics manager failing. 

19 minutes ago, Lags said:

You might just be on to something here. 

Remind me how many successful managers we've had.  Then take your time naming all those that failed.  I wonder what odds you'd get on the next and the next latics manager failing. 

Depends what you consider failure? Did Dino fail? Did Bunn fail? Did Kewell fail? Did Johnson fail? Did Shez fail? Did Dowie fail? Could go on and on but make no mistake about it, any manager given the league we are in the budget given, not have a real crack at winning the title or getting promoted would be a fail.

4 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Depends what you consider failure? Did Dino fail? Did Bunn fail? Did Kewell fail? Did Johnson fail? Did Shez fail? Did Dowie fail? Could go on and on but make no mistake about it, any manager given the league we are in the budget given, not have a real crack at winning the title or getting promoted would be a fail.

Well none of them succeeded. Dowie had us excited on a good budget. Alas no cigar. Currently the DU story is unfinished. 

Just now, Lags said:

Well none of them succeeded. Dowie had us excited on a good budget. Alas no cigar. Currently the DU story is unfinished. 

So when Shez took over from Robinson and kept us up wasn't a success? Give over, we were absolutely nailed on to go down under Robinson that season.

2 minutes ago, PeteG said:

So when Shez took over from Robinson and kept us up wasn't a success? Give over, we were absolutely nailed on to go down under Robinson that season.

No cigar. Yes we stayed up,  that's not success it's avoiding failure.  Big difference. 

8 minutes ago, Lags said:

No cigar. Yes we stayed up,  that's not success it's avoiding failure.  Big difference. 

I disagree, it was a great success unfortunately he only delayed the inevitable as the club had been in serious decline for many years. I'll ask you this, was Eddie Howe successful last season? 

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

"Surely even you must read that post of yours back and think "shit, that's stupid".."

Abusive might be a bit extreme - but it's certainly an over-the-top reaction.

Don't get frustrated, just because we don't share the same opinion, mate...

Like myself, 

I think fluff needs to reel it in a bit,

No point falling out over what we like about our current managers methods and what we don't.

Were all in different camps right now but only until there's real progress and then hopefully we'll all be in one

5 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I disagree, it was a great success unfortunately he only delayed the inevitable as the club had been in serious decline for many years. I'll ask you this, was Eddie Howe successful last season? 

Did he win anything? there's you answer. Newcastle have improved but he's won nothing yet

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

Your mates failed

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Like myself, 

I think fluff needs to reel it in a bit,

No point falling out over what we like about our current managers methods and what we don't.

Were all in different camps right now but only until there's real progress and then hopefully we'll all be in one

Nah, am all good. 

13 hours ago, PeteG said:

Tbh, I think anyone of us on here could have this squad in and around the play-offs and do I expect Unsworth to get us into the play-offs as a minimum (should they keep him that long). Whether finishing 7th is seen as a success, I don't know but i'd expect the club to spin it as a success even if we lost in the play-offs in order to keep him for another season at least. My opinion is, we should  have a proper challenge for the title and if we fell short and ultimately got beat in the play-offs i'd accept that. I don't really buy into the argument he must be given time regardless and it's not the end of the world if we don't go up yet. The longer you stay down in this league, the harder it gets. The teams that come down next year and every year after will have an advantage over us in terms of solidarity payments and then there are always sides on the up throwing money at it (think Forest Green, Fleetwood, Salford, Harrogate etc.) It won't be that long before Macclesfield and Bury will be back at this level so the task will get harder with every passing year. We need to make the most of what we have now, the crowds won't stay at 7,000 plus if we stagnate, we saw that, staying in league 1 for over 20 years. I've said it numerous times but for me if we are not top 5 come October he should be shown the door although i'd happily see him gone tonight.

Really ....... I mean really ... I wouldnt want the responsibility 

6 minutes ago, andy_b_100 said:

Really ....... I mean really ... I wouldnt want the responsibility 

It’s such a nonsense argument too! Take Salford. Massive budget in national league, only up via play offs. Would guess they were the biggest spenders for 3 seasons in league 2 and despite having 3 managers with previous promotions on their cvs they didn’t get promoted. And that’s in a league that 4 go up from. 

Football management is probably a little tougher than some of our terrace experts think. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

It’s such a nonsense argument too! Take Salford. Massive budget in national league, only up via play offs. Would guess they were the biggest spenders for 3 seasons in league 2 and despite having 3 managers with previous promotions on their cvs they didn’t get promoted. And that’s in a league that 4 go up from. 

Football management is probably a little tougher than some of our terrace experts think. 

Or some managers make it look tougher than it really is. 

12 hours ago, Lags said:

A bit like Unsworth last season then?, anyone who judges any manager on their time here in the past decade is missing the point, plenty have gone on to bigger and better after working in almost impossible circumstances,  I wish Frankie/Rhodesy would have another go, those two would be the dream ticket for me in these circumstances. 

9 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

A bit like Unsworth last season then?, anyone who judges any manager on their time here in the past decade is missing the point, plenty have gone on to bigger and better after working in almost impossible circumstances,  I wish Frankie/Rhodesy would have another go, those two would be the dream ticket for me in these circumstances. 

Dull was the worst of the lot, three Championship quality loanees, Clarke when he could still move a bit, Edmundson, Baxter etc and we were miles off it.

25 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Based on what, other than them being ex-players?

Is this the issue with Unsworth, he's not an ex player?

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Not at all, just can't warm to him and feel he's underachieving. 

Fair enough, and I don't disagree fully (he is probably slightly underachieving) but I do think some of the criticism against him is a tad harsh.

For me, Let's see where we're at towards the end of November!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Based on what, other than them being ex-players?

Is this the issue with Unsworth, he's not an ex player?

It is for some. Or the fact the Royle's gave him the job due to being mates.

I've repeatedly stated, most managers fail so if I predict every manager to fail I'll ultimately be proved a clever clogs more than not.

Regarding DU, I think he will always sway to being defensive in style so for him, he must win more to keep the punters happy. No one likes being proved wrong so the vocal outer's views will always be negative now. He will have to live with it.

One week DU blue and white army, the next we want DU out. I just hope after all these years of decline we manage to get up, then stay up.

Edited by Lags