MATCH: vs Halifax (H) 15/08/23

1 hour ago, longtimeblue said:

The punts into the channels were back second half.

l'm concerned that the only reason some Football broke out against aldershot was because they were stood so far off us that our players just didnt know what to do and were winning, so they thought they would give it a go..

After having a season ticket for over 40 years, I didn't renew 3 seasons ago when the Lemsagams were in charge I went to the match Last night and took my brother along hoping It would give me some impetus to renew my season ticket and start going again - It didn't!

We have no midfield, the midfield we have are great at passing sideways and backwards, they struggle to find a blue shirt especially Tollit and the 2nd touches were tackles, we were slow and looked like we didn't know how to get forward. Norwood kept coming deep to get the ball as no one else was trying to get the ball to him. The only player that stood out for me was Kitching, he was the only one who was trying to get forward and get some crosses into the box. Last night Nuttal did naff all, I don't think he brought anything to the team last night. Didn't think much of Hogan, wayward passes and headers and not a  very vocal captain.

Abject performance, no bite or penetration and a shaky defence.

On that showing last night we are way off promotion.

• Like 1

the spreadsheet guy may have cottoned on the way round he's supposed to do it!!!

Frank wouldn't let him anyway. cant stage your death rowing the Atlantic if youve messed with tax man. no surer way to get rumbled at something than to mess with HMRC.

6 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Actually thought the total gate was going to be bigger.  Looked busy than on Saturday and they brought a lot more than Aldershot...

• Like 1

comfortably over 6500 home fans then. 

incidentally, the radio guy for aldershot was confidently putting it about that we had sold 4500+ season tickets. direct quote is difficult bc l heard it once four days ago but he stated Oldham are expecting a premier league crowd over seven and a half thousand (he was a bit excited) theyve sold four and half thousand season tickets, two thousand pre's and theyre expecting a thousand to turn up. plus the what sounds like a healthy amount from aldershot.'

he sounded so confident that he had picked the numbers up from someone he felt was qualified to say it. l think somebody was exaggerating a slight bit, but its good to hear we can do it!!!!

1 hour ago, Greenfield Latic said:

After having a season ticket for over 40 years, I didn't renew 3 seasons ago when the Lemsagams were in charge I went to the match Last night and took my brother along hoping It would give me some impetus to renew my season ticket and start going again - It didn't!

We have no midfield, the midfield we have are great at passing sideways and backwards, they struggle to find a blue shirt especially Tollit and the 2nd touches were tackles, we were slow and looked like we didn't know how to get forward. Norwood kept coming deep to get the ball as no one else was trying to get the ball to him. The only player that stood out for me was Kitching, he was the only one who was trying to get forward and get some crosses into the box. Last night Nuttal did naff all, I don't think he brought anything to the team last night. Didn't think much of Hogan, wayward passes and headers and not a  very vocal captain.

Abject performance, no bite or penetration and a shaky defence.

On that showing last night we are way off promotion.

Bang on this especially the Hogan comment, he’s a weak link. Can’t pass forward only sideways, is shaky, his headers go up in the air rather than forward and he isn’t very mobile.

Raglan has played at a higher level and is experienced enough to have Hobson or Sutton alongside him.

Jamie Stott looked like a man yesterday rather than the boy he was when he was coming through, add in his calmness on the ball, ability to pass forward through the lines and the balance that comes with having a left sided centre half and I’d have him back in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Bang on this especially the Hogan comment, he’s a weak link. Can’t pass forward only sideways, is shaky, his headers go up in the air rather than forward and he isn’t very mobile.

Raglan has played at a higher level and is experienced enough to have Hobson or Sutton alongside him.

Jamie Stott looked like a man yesterday rather than the boy he was when he was coming through, add in his calmness on the ball, ability to pass forward through the lines and the balance that comes with having a left sided centre half and I’d have him back in a heartbeat.

Sutton and Hobson will be frozen out in favour of Hogan and Raglan but you could argue which would offer you more. Unsworth for me just drops the youngest player it's standard for a weak manager. One things for sure Sutton and Hobson will both do just fine higher up the pyramid wherever they decide to go next in much the same way Vaughan has, would Hogan get a game in an EFL team? It's debatable.

18 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Sutton and Hobson will be frozen out in favour of Hogan and Raglan but you could argue which would offer you more. Unsworth for me just drops the youngest player it's standard for a weak manager. One things for sure Sutton and Hobson will both do just fine higher up the pyramid wherever they decide to go next in much the same way Vaughan has, would Hogan get a game in an EFL team? It's debatable.

You mean he'll pick Raglan and Hogan rather than Hobson and Sutton? That's not "freezing" anyone out, it's just a decision on selection. FWIW, I'd pick Hobson over Hogan. I also think Will Sutton has the potential to play at a higher level than any of our other centre halves. He'll end this season a better player than he did at the start of the season, just as he did last season. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I completely agree. I don’t think Hogan gets anywhere near one, he’s very very limited. I’d be targeting him if I was the opposition manager. 

Hamer and Edmundson are examples of young defenders who were given a chance, Sutton is an out and out centre half and should be given the chance to develop as one. He’s no worse than either of those two at the same stage of their careers.

10 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

I completely agree. I don’t think Hogan gets anywhere near one, he’s very very limited. I’d be targeting him if I was the opposition manager. 

Hamer and Edmundson are examples of young defenders who were given a chance, Sutton is an out and out centre half and should be given the chance to develop as one. He’s no worse than either of those two at the same stage of their careers.

it is the club that is different. its hard to complain that instead of chucking in a youngster we sign players from higher divisions!!

but yes he needs to be playing as an out and out CB where he is fourth choice. not the worst if your gaffer plays 3 at the back..

24 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It’s a squad game isn’t it, surely you have good quality cover in all positions if you can? Inevitably that means good players miss out, that’s a good thing. I would think only Norwood is guaranteed a first team spot for now, so the calls for Reid, Fondop, Willoughby all to start are ridiculous. Someone misses out and they fight to get in, supporting the first team until they get the chance. Same at centre back, I for one would certainly have Sutton last in the pecking order and if we play 442 then Hobson misses out too.
Englands women show us how to play 532/352, it can work depending on the quality of your wingbacks, I think we can play it with Kitching and Freeman which means Hobson in for either Sheron or Shelton but Unsworth will be pilloried if he tries it again any time soon.

happy to stick with 442 and hope Green ( for Tollitt) and Lundstrum (for probably Shelton) can give us the lift we hope for.

2 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

It’s a squad game isn’t it, surely you have good quality cover in all positions if you can? Inevitably that means good players miss out, that’s a good thing. I would think only Norwood is guaranteed a first team spot for now, so the calls for Reid, Fondop, Willoughby all to start are ridiculous. Someone misses out and they fight to get in, supporting the first team until they get the chance. Same at centre back, I for one would certainly have Sutton last in the pecking order and if we play 442 then Hobson misses out too.
Englands women show us how to play 532/352, it can work depending on the quality of your wingbacks, I think we can play it with Kitching and Freeman which means Hobson in for either Sheron or Shelton but Unsworth will be pilloried if he tries it again any time soon.

happy to stick with 442 and hope Green ( for Tollitt) and Lundstrum (for probably Shelton) can give us the lift we hope for.

Based on pre season why is Fondop missing out now then? Came back fitter and stronger than ever scored for fun yet is frozen out from game one, should of started at Southend.

As for playing 3-5-2 we just don't have the players or ability to do it, surely anyone can see that, Freeman ain't no wing back. 

40 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

If he can stay on the pitch long enough then he'll get opportunities as the season develops.

19 hours ago, St92 said:

Wouldn't have made a difference like, but does anyone know why there were only 4 minutes added time? Didn't appear the new rules/system for added time were applied tonight 

The twat of a referee didn't have a clue what he was doing. 

47 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Yep-that's the one-the one with no goals for against his name.

But just the 3 assists. What a bizarre criticism. I heard a lad behind me criticising him last night because apparently his first assist on Saturday wasn't quick enough 😄 

Every club has their boo boy I suppose 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

But just the 3 assists. What a bizarre criticism. I heard a lad behind me criticising him last night because apparently his first assist on Saturday wasn't quick enough 😄 

Every club has their boo boy I suppose 

It will be Norwood next, body language isn't great and he doesn't run around enough...