MATCH: vs Halifax (H) 15/08/23

Observations from tonight's game and have probably been said previously above however - 

Once again Unsworth shows he isn't able to change a game with tactical changes or/and substitutions. I think he was out thought by the Halifax manager.  The substitutions didn't affect the game much in particular Reid coming on and changing to 433

Our midfield has little or no creativity and needs to improve substantially if we want to finish anywhere near the playoffs

Tollitt unfortunately isn't good enough for this level. He has the occasional good shot on him but his overall game isn't up to it. I don't think we will see much of him when Lundstram/Ward/Green are fit.

Dickinson and in particular Freeman seemed a bit leggy tonight and are probably not yet up to full fitness. They should improve with game time.

Norwood seemed very frustrated tonight and who can blame him.

Halifax were nothing special whatsoever yet we didn't have the ability to overcome them. Very, very disappointing..........

Edited by IanMarshall's Mullet
  • Like 7

Just to round off a great eve I’ve looked at the table 3 games in. Shouldn’t do I know , early days etc etc however  Chesterfield are sitting pretty at the top and we are 17th. It’s time to start winning, no ifs, buts, Injuries, rub of the green, leggy players, previous recruitment,fans on their backs or whatever

Get on with it…

• Like 1

I haven't watched the interview, but I'd say it's a bit of a concern everyone is saying he talked about creating plenty of chances when we played with 2 strikers, who I think had 1 chance between them 

Pointless paying what is rumoured to be big wages for Norwood if we're not going to give him the service

Huffed, puffed and just didn’t create the chances. You can see we try and get the ball in the opposition’s half quickly, but too often it breaks down and ends up back to a defender or hopeful balls up top are wasted. 

Confident we look better with Lundstram, Ward and Green back in the team.

Officials terrible. Fondop taken out in the box late-on (not seen a replay though) and their 22 got away a couple of cynical fouls. 4 minutes of injury time just seemed wrong.

We move on and hopefully get some bodies back.

Halifax fancied their chances as soon as they saw the line up and the 4-4-2 formation. 

First half, the sun was horrendous in the RRE but not once did we launch any balls into the box to unsettle their keeper. Can't understand the reluctance to put a midfielder on who can actually pass the ball and I am still completely bewildered that he has chased a striker since October but refuses to play him...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

Observations from tonight's game and have probably been said previously above however - 

Once again Unsworth shows he isn't able to change a game with tactical changes or/and substitutions. I think he was out thought by the Halifax manager.  The substitutions didn't affect the game much in particular Reid coming on and changing to 433

Our midfield has little or no creativity and needs to improve substantially if we want to finish anywhere near the playoffs

Tollitt unfortunately isn't good enough for this level. He has the occasional good shot on him but his overall game isn't up to it. I don't think we will see much of him when Lundstram/Ward/Green are fit.

Dickinson and in particular Freeman seemed a bit leggy tonight and are probably not yet up to full fitness. They should improve with game time.

Norwood seemed very frustrated tonight and who can blame him.

Halifax were nothing special whatsoever yet we didn't have the ability to overcome them. Very, very disappointing.........

Sums it up perfectly 👍

8 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Hobson loves to defend, he's unlucky he's not starting and isn't a right back so on the face of it it's another stupid signing given he was in the team of the season last season. Can't fault Hogan whose probably been our most consistent player this season so far and Raglan brings obvious quality but Hobson is the best of the three in my opinion particularly with his pace. He can play a bit too. 

Defence isn't really an issue it's the centre of the park, we just get outplayed for large parts of the game.

Oh well Chesterfield followed by Boreham Wood away coming up, we will see where we are at. Lose those two and I think they'll have to get rid of him.

Hobson was a player of year so clearly has something and I agree I think he should be playing.

defence shouldn’t be a prob with the personnel but we have never looked solid during the full reign. We never nullify anyone, even aldershot had chances at 0-0 and again at 3-1. If we play bad we don’t get 0-0 draws.

9 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Yet he scored a cracker against Aldershot.

Saturday you were raving about Nuttall who never looked like scoring against Aldershot despite the score and he was hopeless tonight.

Goals win games.

I’m  not his biggest fan because generally I think he can contribute more but when look at goals only and remove his pens his return is terrible. He never really threatens.  I can’t see him scoring regularly and we need 2 up top to bag plenty 

2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He has said we conceded from a set piece, which is unlike us. But we've conceded from a set piece in every game this season.

He said they're struggling to get up to speed with the Saturday/Tuesday schedule. But he said they were having the toughest pre-season of their careers...

It's a fair point he makes - we are the only team in the league with that issue...

3 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

Hobson was a player of year so clearly has something and I agree I think he should be playing.

defence shouldn’t be a prob with the personnel but we have never looked solid during the full reign. We never nullify anyone, even aldershot had chances at 0-0 and again at 3-1. If we play bad we don’t get 0-0 draws.

For me a lot of it comes down to intent again. We drop and drop when the ball is in our third rather than engage. The Southend game had several examples of this and again tonight for their first goal a ball has found a striker with time to take a touch, turn, push it out of his feet and hit it. The solution that Unsworth seems to want to counter this is to have two central midfielders deeper and compact when the opposition has possession but there will always be times in a game at this level where the ball is given away and we're exposed to a more direct ball.

The standard of a lot of teams at this level doesn't deserve the "respect" we give them and one of the biggest differences between defenders at this level and a few stages up is concentration and positioning. A charitable reading is that Unsworth has defensive ideas beyond the capabilities of our team's skillset. A harsher view would be that he has an inability to learn and manage what's happening in front of him.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He has said we conceded from a set piece, which is unlike us. But we've conceded from a set piece in every game this season.

He said they're struggling to get up to speed with the Saturday/Tuesday schedule. But he said they were having the toughest pre-season of their careers...

It’s hard to trust or believe DU, said on a thread only last week. Nothing he says adds up and when u generally look in more depth like on goals conceded he’s wrong. It def like us so far this year to concede from set plays and he should know that! 

23 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Didn’t he say this about 3/4 players? So presumably Norwood, Dickinson and Freeman?

8 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

"Early stages of the season, Saturday/Tuesday - the lads are getting up to speed."

No mention of 3 or 4, it was a sweeping statement from him...

About a minute after that he said "there are 3 or 4 that are not up to speed yet"

I think the 'late' keeper change had a mild effect on the back 4, Freeman and Dickenson wont have played 90m in three days in quite some time so I expected leggy with experience taking over. Both me and my son (who was in a different stand) did not expect to see Tollit start the second half. The referee was abysmal (not to blame) but the challenge on Fondop was a red and a penalty all day every day. On Saturday we hit them with quick precise passing .... last night the idea was there but the execution was not....... Im not commenting about the subs being late and I have no idea why we signed Kurt if we keep him to 5 min cameos when 5-1 up. 

I can only really comment on the first half as I was boarding a plane at half time and foolishly thought that if I bought the match pass it'd be available for me to watch straight away when I got home rather than having to wait a few days for full match replays.

I thought we were a little off the pace compared to Saturday. I thought Halifax took the game to us more than Aldershot did. A positive was that we are definitely more of a passing team now. The punts into space in the channels seem to be much less frequent. We have more players that are comfortable on the ball so are willing to keep possession rather than getting rid asap. A negative was that we weren't able to move the play quick enough when they closed us down. Whether that's how they set up or that we just weren't on it I don't know.

No idea what happened in the second half, but a sign of a good manager is one who can make early changes when necessary or when a game is tight (as opposed to making 3 rage subs at half time when getting battered). Maybe we needed to move away from 442 and go for a 433 or match them up with a 352?

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

I can only really comment on the first half as I was boarding a plane at half time and foolishly thought that if I bought the match pass it'd be available for me to watch straight away when I got home rather than having to wait a few days for full match replays.

I thought we were a little off the pace compared to Saturday. I thought Halifax took the game to us more than Aldershot did. A positive was that we are definitely more of a passing team now. The punts into space in the channels seem to be much less frequent. We have more players that are comfortable on the ball so are willing to keep possession rather than getting rid asap. A negative was that we weren't able to move the play quick enough when they closed us down. Whether that's how they set up or that we just weren't on it I don't know.

No idea what happened in the second half, but a sign of a good manager is one who can make early changes when necessary or when a game is tight (as opposed to making 3 rage subs at half time when getting battered). Maybe we needed to move away from 442 and go for a 433 or match them up with a 352?

The punts into the channels were back second half.

10 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Shelton, Sheron and Raglan all stood off the goalscorer and never even thought of closing him down. 

To be fair I’d have let him shoot that far out, it was a worldy.

Was a great incisive pass from Jamie Stott mind, it highlights one of the main things we’re lacking, the inability to pass forward through the middle of the park, everything goes wide for a hopeful cross.

Unsworth claimed in a recent interview that Lundstram, Ward and Green were 3 of his first choice midfielders. How true that is I’m not sure.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

To be fair I’d have let him shoot that far out, it was a worldy.

Was a great incisive pass from Jamie Stott mind, it highlights one of the main things we’re lacking, the inability to pass forward through the middle of the park, everything goes wide for a hopeful cross.

Unsworth claimed in a recent interview that Lundstram, Ward and Green were 3 of his first choice midfielders. How true that is I’m not sure.

You’d think Lundstram and Green are nailed on starters when all are available. Not so sure about Ward. Personally think Dickenson will offer us more when “up to speed”, and hopefully Tollet only used when we’re short.