MATCH: vs Halifax (H) 15/08/23

2 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Was a penalty but we weren't good enough and it clearly demonstrates that Saturday was a fluke.
He should be sacked at the earliest opportunity.

Looks like Halifax are the new hoodoo team for Latics. If anything, Saturday showed what they are capable of, the consistency needs to be achieved and Unsworth has to learn how manage that. I'm not particularly worried but don't think promotion will be on the cards this season.

Tough one to take that so soon after Saturday.

I thought Tollitt and Dickenson didn't have very good games, partly down to Halifax playing their 5 at the back effectively and cutting down the space before anything could develop

They came with a game plan to be solid defensively and give nothing easy away and we were lacking creativity tonight to break them down. 

So I really didn't understand our subs tonight with how the game was going. Fondop for Nuttall was like for like and not really going to change anything. Gardner sat on the bench when we needed creativity was baffling for me. Willoughby, Reid and Gardner have to come on before 70th minute for me there

Over a season there are games where performances aren't quite there for every team, but if we want to be up there at the end of the season we need to find a way to get over the line in those types of game.

I don't think we should be making managerial changes 3 games in, but DU has to take a decent portion of blame for the tactics tonight

• Like 1

1 minute ago, St92 said:

Tough one to take that so soon after Saturday.

I thought Tollitt and Dickenson didn't have very good games, partly down to Halifax playing their 5 at the back effectively and cutting down the space before anything could develop

They came with a game plan to be solid defensively and give nothing easy away and we were lacking creativity tonight to break them down. 

So I really didn't understand our subs tonight with how the game was going. Fondop for Nuttall was like for like and not really going to change anything. Gardner sat on the bench when we needed creativity was baffling for me. Willoughby, Reid and Gardner have to come on before 70th minute for me there

Over a season there are games where performances aren't quite there for every team, but if we want to be up there at the end of the season we need to find a way to get over the line in those types of game.

I don't think we should be making managerial changes 3 games in, but DU has to take a decent portion of blame for the tactics tonight

Does he ever take any portion of blame?

• Like 1

Just now, BP1960 said:

Nuttall, Shelton (even though he scored),Tollitt so weak. You can't carry players like that against strong determined teams.

If player performances are so inconsistent, where does the blame lie, in the manager or the players..or both? We saw what they can do on Saturday, achieving that consistently may be beyond Unsworth.

Wow that was poor. So far removed from Saturday. No intensity, no patterns of play, just tepid shite. We're in desperate need of a midfield, the one we currently have might as well not be there. How many times are they going to stand off and let a player get a shot away? Infuriating.

Also, why does he take so long to change things? Why have Gardner on the bench if he isn't going to use him? He's not a world beater bit he's 100 times better than Shelton. He can pass to a blue shirt for a start. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Nuttall, Shelton (even though he scored),Tollitt so weak. You can't carry players like that against strong determined teams.

Nuttall just doesn’t behave like a big forward should and the more time passed the more he shrunk away, I think that’s why he brought Fondop on. A potential “promotion “ aspiring team MUST learn how to deal with teams like these. We were weak, even Norwood was disappointing for q so called beast although to be fair he was getting much in the of service as is the usual story with our midfield . 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wardie said:

If player performances are so inconsistent, where does the blame lie, in the manager or the players..or both? We saw what they can do on Saturday, achieving that consistently may be beyond Unsworth.

What we did on Saturday wasn't ever on the table tonight. Halifax played a 5 at the back with a LM and RM in front of the WB and set up defensively covering the full width of the pitch. Wasn't the space out wide for our wide players and Tollitt and Dickenson both seemed to struggle

1 minute ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Wow that was poor. So far removed from Saturday. No intensity, no patterns of play, just tepid shite. We're in desperate need of a midfield, the one we currently have might as well not be there. How many times are they going to stand off and let a player get a shot away? Infuriating.

Also, why does he take so long to change things? Why have Gardner on the bench if he isn't going to use him? He's not a world beater bit he's 100 times better than Shelton. He can pass to a blue shirt for a start. 

Can't blame that on Shelton, Tollitt consistently gave the ball away and Nuttall, someone had to cover for them.

• Like 1

Just now, St92 said:

What we did on Saturday wasn't ever on the table tonight. Halifax played a 5 at the back with a LM and RM in front of the WB and set up defensively covering the full width of the pitch. Wasn't the space out wide for our wide players and Tollitt and Dickenson both seemed to struggle

So basically, their manager did his homework and set up appropriately. 

• Like 3

Halifax are definitely our bogie team but had a better game plan,closed our play down with marking tight and had the better in midfield. Tactics were better.

Their first was a belter but no one was stopping the player.

After the Lord Mayor's show and typical Latics but again being typical  Latics could see us win on Saturday. 

Just now, Flemboy said:

Halifax are definitely our bogie team but had a better game plan,closed our play down with marking tight and had the better in midfield. Tactics were better.

Their first was a belter but no one was stopping the player.

After the Lord Mayor's show and typical Latics but again being typical  Latics could see us win on Saturday. 

Was a good strike for their first, but we'd fallen in to old habits for the 5-10 minutes before that goal and sat deeper, he had far too much time 

39 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Unsworth clearly doesn't possess the intellect required to make any meaningful changes that could impact the game.

1 like for like sub and no change to a game plan that wasn't working. Ended up with 3 centre forwards just hoping something would drop our way. 

It Should've been changed at 60 minutes.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why Dan Gardner wasn't brought on it was crying out for him to atleast try something different.

I'm not a Nuttall knocker but he needs to be more aggressive when the ball is played upto him I want to see him throw his weight around abit.

Promotion chasing teams don't just win 1 game and follow it up with a lacklustre display they follow it up with a win even if they don't play well. We have to learn to win consistently and we have to learn to do it fast. 

I can't be bothered entertaining the inevitable debate on sacking the manager becase sacking manager after manager is a big reason why we are a national league side. 

That is all.