MATCH: vs Halifax (H) 15/08/23

36 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

But just the 3 assists. What a bizarre criticism. I heard a lad behind me criticising him last night because apparently his first assist on Saturday wasn't quick enough 😄 

Every club has their boo boy I suppose 

Heard someone slagging Norman off because he wastes time so they should bin him

6 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Heard someone slagging Norman off because he wastes time so they should bin him

Haha christ, bonkers.

The same guy behind me was also screaming at Nuttall to get up and calling him a soft bastard after he had a ball blasted into his face from point blank range 🤦‍♂️ it's unpleasant. I'll criticise players on here because it's a forum, but the abuse some of them get in the ground...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

But just the 3 assists. What a bizarre criticism.

There is nothing bizarre about it-my comment was he never looked like scoring on Saturday despite the goals flying in and he never looked like scoring on Tuesday.

No boo boy here just passing comments after you slagging off a player who can actually find the net whilst bigging up a player who cannot. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, whittles left foot said:

There is nothing bizarre about it-my comment was he never looked like scoring on Saturday despite the goals flying in and he never looked like scoring on Tuesday.

No boo boy here just passing comments after you slagging off a player who can actually find the net whilst bigging up a player who cannot. 

He really should be doing far better and nobody on here can ever question that

7 hours ago, Stainrod said:

It’s a squad game isn’t it, surely you have good quality cover in all positions if you can? Inevitably that means good players miss out, that’s a good thing. I would think only Norwood is guaranteed a first team spot for now, so the calls for Reid, Fondop, Willoughby all to start are ridiculous. Someone misses out and they fight to get in, supporting the first team until they get the chance. Same at centre back, I for one would certainly have Sutton last in the pecking order and if we play 442 then Hobson misses out too.
Englands women show us how to play 532/352, it can work depending on the quality of your wingbacks, I think we can play it with Kitching and Freeman which means Hobson in for either Sheron or Shelton but Unsworth will be pilloried if he tries it again any time soon.

happy to stick with 442 and hope Green ( for Tollitt) and Lundstrum (for probably Shelton) can give us the lift we hope for.

37 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

You're criticising a player for playing a major part in us scoring 3 goals on Saturday, it is bizarre. You say "the goals were flying in" and give him no credit for creating 3 of them 😄😄

And Nuttall scored more than anyone in our squad last season. A lot more than Tollitt.

I'm not denying he could improve. But he brings a lot more to the team than one trick pony Tollitt.

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

So .... sliding doors style ...... we get the penalty and score (1 point) possibly three, ref blows for a foul on Hogan we win 0-1 at chesterfield .. giving us 4 extra points puts us joint 5th .... and just for the crack Nuttalls push on the Adlershot defender knocks off the goal and we win 4-1 ..... how would we justify the massive pissboil ? asking for a friend. 

2 minutes ago, andy_b_100 said:

So .... sliding doors style ...... we get the penalty and score (1 point) possibly three, ref blows for a foul on Hogan we win 0-1 at chesterfield .. giving us 4 extra points puts us joint 5th .... and just for the crack Nuttalls push on the Adlershot defender knocks off the goal and we win 4-1 ..... how would we justify the massive pissboil ? asking for a friend. 

And all this while forgetting sub standard performances in 2 of the games.

• Like 1

Just seen that this game now showing on nationalleaguetv match replays. I'm going to give it a watch to see if we're as bad as a lot have made out.

Can I do this without giving in to my own confirmation bias?! Probably not!

2 hours ago, LaticMark said:

For whatever reason the ref in the Halifax game had a crystal clear view of that fore arm smash and didn't want to give it, that in my book is blatant cheating. As for the one at Chesterfield it may have genuinely been missed as it's hard to pick out despite watching it half a dozen times.

All three refs in our games against Halifax have been bottle jobs, how did an Halifax player not even go in the book, one lad was persistently fouling and the worst that happened to him was the ref had a word with their captain. Another one that sticks out is after Sutton went through the lad at Southend they surrounded the ref and got in his face, not one of them were shown a card yet a couple of our lads had already gone in the book for similar, fucking incompetents the lot of them.

8 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

For whatever reason the ref in the Halifax game had a crystal clear view of that fore arm smash and didn't want to give it, that in my book is blatant cheating. As for the one at Chesterfield it may have genuinely been missed as it's hard to pick out despite watching it half a dozen times.

All three refs in our games against Halifax have been bottle jobs, how did an Halifax player not even go in the book, one lad was persistently fouling and the worst that happened to him was the ref had a word with their captain. Another one that sticks out is after Sutton went through the lad at Southend they surrounded the ref and got in his face, not one of them were shown a card yet a couple of our lads had already gone in the book for similar, fucking incompetents the lot of them.

You'd best get off the managers back then, Si, if it's all the referees fault...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Halifax players definitely got carded. 

6 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Four Halifax players got booked according to the BBC report here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66435767

Watched the game in full last night. What a life I lead. Anyway, from purely an intent and style perspective (I can’t be bothered critiquing player or manager performances) I think anyone who would describe that as “rhinoball” (hate that term) ie the same as last season, is being incredibly disingenuous. 

We attacked. We passed the ball. We didn’t launch aimless punts like a lot of last season when we seemed to try to assert ourselves on the game by occupying territory. That is a different way of playing to last season. It wasn’t negative in the slightest. 

Not saying it was a performance without faults. But purely from how we set up and the football we played - that was progression from last season. Which is what we wanted to see wasn’t it?

The main argument from those who are strongly Unsworth out is that they’ve not seen anything to suggest he can improve. Well you’re not looking hard enough. 

- After a couple of months we were told we were relegation certainties. He then got sustained play off form. 

- When those results started picking up we were told the football will never improve (Aldershot away was when I was at my lowest, I didn’t think form was sustainable playing like that).  The football improved a bit (it did, not massively but it improved).

- Then we were told he’d never send out a team to play good football and attack. Now in our 2 home games this season we have done exactly that. 

The product on the pitch has shown gradual improvement over time. There’s still lots to do, especially with how we set up away from home and also in game adaptability. But improvement has been there so that justifies more time to keep improving for me.

One other note about this game, the ref had a shocker. Oluwabori twice took out Kitching (I think) when breaking past him in dangerous attacking areas. Unbelievably neither was given a yellow. Then the pen. Just so blatant. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Watched the game in full last night. What a life I lead. Anyway, from purely an intent and style perspective (I can’t be bothered critiquing player or manager performances) I think anyone who would describe that as “rhinoball” (hate that term) ie the same as last season, is being incredibly disingenuous. 

We attacked. We passed the ball. We didn’t launch aimless punts like a lot of last season when we seemed to try to assert ourselves on the game by occupying territory. That is a different way of playing to last season. It wasn’t negative in the slightest. 

Not saying it was a performance without faults. But purely from how we set up and the football we played - that was progression from last season. Which is what we wanted to see wasn’t it?

The main argument from those who are strongly Unsworth out is that they’ve not seen anything to suggest he can improve. Well you’re not looking hard enough. 

- After a couple of months we were told we were relegation certainties. He then got sustained play off form. 

- When those results started picking up we were told the football will never improve (Aldershot away was when I was at my lowest, I didn’t think form was sustainable playing like that).  The football improved a bit (it did, not massively but it improved).

- Then we were told he’d never send out a team to play good football and attack. Now in our 2 home games this season we have done exactly that. 

The product on the pitch has shown gradual improvement over time. There’s still lots to do, especially with how we set up away from home and also in game adaptability. But improvement has been there so that justifies more time to keep improving for me.

One other note about this game, the ref had a shocker. Oluwabori twice took out Kitching (I think) when breaking past him in dangerous attacking areas. Unbelievably neither was given a yellow. Then the pen. Just so blatant. 

The tactics are defensive based and he can't fool anyone they are not.

It was park the bus at Chesterfield and that's what many fans don't want to see.

Reports were despite winning thier previous 3 games Chesterfield were defensively poor, yet we sat back and and conceded the inevitable goal and were fortunate to get a draw in the end.

There is no need for a fear factor of losing in this division so IMO the manager should take the game to the opposition home and away.

He will win more matches and get fans on his side if he does.

12 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I’ve said it many times, the standard of refereeing at our level is very inconsistent - and that inconsistency even comes through over the course of the 90 minutes.

I accept that it’s a tough job when you are out there but the assault on Fondop was such a blatant foul that I cannot accept the referee missed it 😮

The subsequent apology, worth nothing, only serves to highlight how poor a decision it was,  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

You'd best get off the managers back then, Si, if it's all the referees fault...

Even if the referee's had got everything right Pat we would only be about a point better off, Unsworth ain't going nowhere but in my opinion we've been poor 3 out of 4 games this season.

10 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

It was park the bus at Chesterfield and that's what many fans don't want to see.

Reports were despite winning thier previous 3 games Chesterfield were defensively poor, yet we sat back and and conceded the inevitable goal and were fortunate to get a draw in the end.

There is no need for a fear factor of losing in this division so IMO the manager should take the game to the opposition home and away.

I wasn't talking about the Chesterfield game BP. I agree, that was deliberately defensive. But the 2 home games have been a departure from last season in terms of intent and the style of football played. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Of course our tactics in the Chesterfield game were defensive based - and I don’t believe Unsworth is ‘trying to fool anyone’ about this.

I do disagree, however, with your opinion that it was ‘park the bus’  - yes we went out with a defensive mindset to nullify their obvious strengths - which are their midfield and attacking players. 

Furthermore, with the injuries to Lundstram, Ward & Green, we are light and having to play last season’s central midfield pairing. 

And yet we could have been ahead at the break if Norwood’s lob had been better.

It was only until we lost our focus following the referee failing to spot the trip on Hogan that we conceded a goal. That was in the 61st minute.

From that point onwards, we lost our discipline and only a good tackle from Raglan stopped Grigg making it two. And for a long time after we looked hopeless.

Towards the end of the game we recovered somewhat.

Were we fortunate to draw? Not in my opinion - we kept playing until the final whistle and got our reward.

I do agree that, for the majority of the teams in this division, we should not be sitting back away from home - and I think we will see that more attacking approach adopted as the season progresses.

Edited by TheBigDog
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

they could spend 100nins watching it again but prefer to spend double that amount sneering, smearing and lying. usually based on pissed up false memories. 

its Agenda 101. they MUST carry on changing the menager every 6 months because that is all they have ever known.

the closer to Yorkshire they live the more it seems to be true. its a reminder to us all that change is not good.