The Next Oldham Manager

3 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

That is a shame, bit surprised given their downward trajectory. I honestly think we're a better prospect than Cheltenham, maybe location has played a part. If we are running a proper process there would be no guarantees so that could also be a factor. He may never have been interested in the Oldham job, who knows? 

I know we're f*cking massive, but any self respecting manager would back themselves to turn the downward trajectory of a Lg1 club into an upward one.

FWIW I would have had Clarke as my first choice based on the names banded about but plenty of other good candidates around.

49 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

I know we're f*cking massive, but any self respecting manager would back themselves to turn the downward trajectory of a Lg1 club into an upward one.

FWIW I would have had Clarke as my first choice based on the names banded about but plenty of other good candidates around.

Cheltenham are well punching in L1. Only just stayed up last season, 1 point from nine games, no goals in nine, centre forward sold and not replaced. He's taken on a big job.

Will be interesting this after Clarke going elsewhere. Mellon and Gateshead manager still possibles for me but doubt us paying for anyone.

Thompson probably the favourite at the moment I would think. Next two games will have a bearing on it I expect. 

Cowley bros anyone?

Edited by IanMarshall's Mullet

1 hour ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

Will be interesting this after Clarke going elsewhere. Mellon and Gateshead manager still possibles for me but doubt us paying for anyone.

Thompson probably the favourite at the moment I would think. Next two games will have a bearing on it I expect. 

Cowley bros anyone?

The Cowley brothers would be a fantastic appointment. I could see them repeating what they did at Lincoln.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 12:56 PM, Monty Burns said:

l want Tommo now fuckit down off the fence. him and Redders bags of experience, players look happy. he has more than steadied the ship he has 180'd it like a warship and now we are motoring the right way playin Football the right way.

🗣TOMMO IN 

Absolutely. Yet again in his post match interview he says all the right things 

" we need to keep possession more" "we know what needs doing" and we'll do it. Please give this man time. This year might be a bit late after Unsworths F.ing about. I have absolute faith in Thompson and Redfearn.

Can't think of any other managerial candidate giving a better post match assessment after today's result.

• Like 4

New man needed ASAP.

Yesterday was absolutely rotten. Unable to compete at these dog and duck grounds makes me ill.

Give Mellon the gig until the end of the season with a hearty promotion bonus. If he doesn’t get us up, get rid and find someone else.

The longer we stay at this level, the more fans we will lose, commercial opportunities will dwindle and financially we will suffer.

There is no time to piss about and experiment any longer. Thompson seems a nice guy but whatever the tactics he instructed yesterday were totally and utterly unacceptable.

55 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

New man needed ASAP.

Yesterday was absolutely rotten. Unable to compete at these dog and duck grounds makes me ill.

Give Mellon the gig until the end of the season with a hearty promotion bonus. If he doesn’t get us up, get rid and find someone else.

The longer we stay at this level, the more fans we will lose, commercial opportunities will dwindle and financially we will suffer.

There is no time to piss about and experiment any longer. Thompson seems a nice guy but whatever the tactics he instructed yesterday were totally and utterly unacceptable.

Nobody can turn a turd into a gold coin.

1 hour ago, GKing521 said:

New man needed ASAP.

Grow up . Or at least start every post with 'I'm not trying to be antagonistic but...'

Edited by Dave_Og
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Interestingly, Clemence was on the "guests" list for Rochdale's game in midweek. Could be reading too much into it, but could he have been scouting Rochdale ahead of our game...?

Or out of work coach just watching as much football as he can? 

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

3 wins and a draw and people have given up on ST. But people more than happy to give Unsy time. 

Our bloody fans 😂

Think you'll find that's two lots of people. Same people who need something to be outraged by constantly are the ones who have given up

It's been just 2 weeks since ST was handed the reins and he has guided us to 3 victories and a draw from 2 home/2 away, which has kick-started our season and given us some hope of a decent showing this time around.

He's had the same players at his disposal as DU and is getting a lot more from them; which is a positive sign regarding his ability to "manage".  Whilst accepting that yesterday's performance was not good, ST is finding a way to grind out results; again a positive.

What's evident (apart from the oft mentioned problems in key positions) is that something was wrong with the previous training regime. Several players looked "end of season" leggy yesterday and that should not be the case. Such legacy issues will take time to address but you cannot help but admire ST's interviews; he recognises what is needed and you can tell he wants to make the changes required. 

IF the board are prepared to back him even half as much as they backed DU, then the results could be very fruitful. There is no need to rush into any new manager recruitment; steady as she goes. We are unbeaten under ST; that'll do for me and look forward to the 2 home games coming up. Keep it up ST - you're doing a very good job so far.

• Like 9

The fitness is an odd one because DU said they would be super fit after the pre season with him and I have it on good authority that it was indeed a bit gruelling as was the personal fitness regime each player had prior to coming back for pre season. 

Perhaps it may have been gruelling but not necessarily effective? I’m not qualified to make a judgement but curious nonetheless. 

Edited by IanMarshall's Mullet

3 hours ago, GKing521 said:

New man needed ASAP.

This must be a piss take.