The Next Oldham Manager

45 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

He was the one I was more inclined to go for. 

Im just cautious about appointing someone with no experience in this league, as this season should not be an excuse for a “learning” period like Unsy had. Play off is a very realistic target. 

Phil Parkinson (Wrexham) and Luke Williams (Notts County) had never managed at this level. In fact, Williams got Swindon relegated from League 1.

Don't buy this 'must have experience of this level'.

If you are a decent coach, a good fit for the club and have the board's backing,  you should be able to take this club forward.

• Like 4

Had a thought, with Clarke gone, Mellon being quite divisive amongst the fans and no one else out of work thats exciting and/or realistic, how about hand Thommo the job until the end of the season with a clause that says with promotion theres a 2 year deal. If he achieves it, everyones happy and he then is given time to build and if not we buy Pete Wild's contract out at Barrow who I reckon will have 1 year left at the end of the season.

With the start we've had, going up would be a success and it would be tough to argue against Thompson.

Having said that Frank and presumably the board has said play off's is a minimum this season. Failing that then, Thompson cant argue given the agreed clause.

Stepping down after a playoff loss could be seen as harsh but that can be negotiated between Thommo and the board and id trust them to reach the right decision.

41 minutes ago, LaticsEddie said:

Had a thought, with Clarke gone, Mellon being quite divisive amongst the fans and no one else out of work thats exciting and/or realistic, how about hand Thommo the job until the end of the season with a clause that says with promotion theres a 2 year deal. If he achieves it, everyones happy and he then is given time to build and if not we buy Pete Wild's contract out at Barrow who I reckon will have 1 year left at the end of the season.

With the start we've had, going up would be a success and it would be tough to argue against Thompson.

Having said that Frank and presumably the board has said play off's is a minimum this season. Failing that then, Thompson cant argue given the agreed clause.

Stepping down after a playoff loss could be seen as harsh but that can be negotiated between Thommo and the board and id trust them to reach the right decision.

It's not a bad idea but my concern, even on appointing until the end of the season, would be that the five games we've played under ST have been against some of the worse teams in the division. I'd really want to see more games before handing it to ST until the end of the season. 

Think we wait and see what comes out of the recruitment process, if ST has stuck his hat in the ring it might be him.  

44 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

There's a lot to unpack there but as a starter for ten:

1. Micky Melons is going to have to do a lot more for his money if he comes here, I don't see "Just win" propelling us up the table.

2. That whole Norwood vibe, sorry Nors vibe. Is he a prizefighter? A council estate Hugh Hefner? Ready for bed? I don't know.

3. Are all podcast hosts called Matt? 

44 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Edited by Hemel latic
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

It's not a bad idea but my concern, even on appointing until the end of the season, would be that the five games we've played under ST have been against some of the worse teams in the division. I'd really want to see more games before handing it to ST until the end of the season. 

Think we wait and see what comes out of the recruitment process, if ST has stuck his hat in the ring it might be him.  

Good point, but I worry we're heading into abit of a no mans land, a choice needs to be made. For me the Dogdale game is the big one. He will have had a full week to work on what he wants with the players, playing against a... less shit oppo. A decision certainly must be reached sooner rather than later but for me he deserves that opportunity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Just to show how weak the next manager market is:  At 2pm today there were 30 names in BetVC's market, up to 33/1. That didn't include Damien Duff. I asked if I could have a price for him for a fiver and they offered 16/1

You're lucky they laid it to a fiver !  🤬

• Like 1

Personally I don't get the "must have experience at this level" rhetoric.  Our two most successful managers in living memory, Jimmy Frizzell and Joe Royle, had no experience of managing at any level.  Full stop.  To counter my own argument I would also add that some of our worst managers (hello David Unsworth) had no experience, and it showed.  So yes, experience is an advantage but I'm not sure it's the be all and end all.  Experienced managers can (and do) fail, and rookie managers can (and do fail).  Just depends on the manager involved.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sparkleking said:

Personally I don't get the "must have experience at this level" rhetoric.  Our two most successful managers in living memory, Jimmy Frizzell and Joe Royle, had no experience of managing at any level.  Full stop.  To counter my own argument I would also add that some of our worst managers (hello David Unsworth) had no experience, and it showed.  So yes, experience is an advantage but I'm not sure it's the be all and end all.  Experienced managers can (and do) fail, and rookie managers can (and do fail).  Just depends on the manager involved.

In summary we almost always go for someone inexperienced because it’s cheap and we normally don’t have a pot to piss in!

Not the case now, so we don’t have to take that sort of gamble if good experienced options are available. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sparkleking said:

Yup, I recall the well experienced Jack Rowley coming back " I have unfinished business at Oldham" .  Lost his first 5 games,   gone in short order.

^ To be fair to Rowley though, he did get the side playing some decent stuff over the second half of the 1968-69 season, it's just that it was a bit late by then. From late December his record was W11, D6, L9 from 26 games. If they'd shown that form from the start they'd have finished in the top half of the table. I started watching Latics in February 1969, and never saw them lose a game that season.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sparkleking said:

Dean Holden, Darren Kelly, David Dunn?

• Like 1

Trying to think of the most successful experienced Latics manager in my supporting lifetime. Probably whichever iteration of Shez it was that got to the play offs. It's not a high bar given that's since 1966!

Edited by Dave_Og

39 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Trying to think of the most successful experienced Latics manager in my supporting lifetime. Probably whichever iteration of Shez it was that got to the play offs. It's not a high bar given that's since 1966!

Shez got into the play offs in his first full season in Management. He was an experienced manager in 2016 and 2017 when we pulled away from relegation.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Warnock managed not to relegate us if that counts!!!