The Next Oldham Manager

48 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Sensible appointment for me. Proven track record in this division. Didn't Fleetwood get over 100 points under him? Hope he can get us firing and up the table...

Hes won 5 promotions

- 2 at Fleetwood national league North in 2010 and Conference National in 2012.

- 1 Promotion at Shrewsbury from league 2 2015

- 2 promotions at Tranmere 2018 national league play off winners and 2019 L2 play off winners.

We haven't appointed anyone with such an impressive record since Neil Warnock who had 5 promotions under his belt when he joined us, and that didn't work out as alot of experienced hires never seemed too... but Mellon is probably better set up to succeed.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

More than happy with Mellon. Hopefully our fans take to him quicker than they did Unsy. 

Hope he can hit the ground running and win tomorrow (if appointed) and next week. We could quite easily lose both so fingers crossed 🤞 it's the the former.

1 hour ago, True Tic said:

Three years!! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

It's all part of the package which made him accept the offer. It means nothing in terms of longevity as we all know from the managerial merry-go-round. I don't get your problem, we have to trust the owners, the board and their decisions, let's just get the fuck on with it.

14 minutes ago, Wardie said:

It's all part of the package which made him accept the offer. It means nothing in terms of longevity as we all know from the managerial merry-go-round. I don't get your problem, we have to trust the owners, the board and their decisions, let's just get the fuck on with it.

They need to announce him today then, not “before the Rochdale game” and crack on. 

51 minutes ago, True Tic said:

They need to announce him today then, not “before the Rochdale game” and crack on. 

Totally agree. Nothing on the site as of yet, so, has he actually signed on the dotted line?
I'm sure they will announce today, seeing as the cat is out the bag, so to speak.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Not my preferred direction of travel but I understand the logic.

Much like the so called 'Rhinoball' the style is only going to be palatable if it is matched by wins.

Indeed. I think, especlally this season, some of the football might be attritional at times. He be under pressure from the off and will need results, or at least to match the 45% win ratio he's bobbed along with throughout his career. Should we be in the same division next season, I would think he'll have more wriggle room to build a mentally tough, physical and dangerous team. The last two matches suggest we're nowhere near mentally tough or physical. I'm expecting a complete overhaul in midfield (probably via loans) and wouldn't be surprised if one or two 'luxury' players will be out of favour quite quickly.

I've had chance to think more about this appointment. It's a calculated decision from the board. They clearly want a man with a proven track record at this level and also the one above. He's a good play-offs man, given both Tranmere ones came via that route and this season, realistically, is about the best we can achieve. He was the only candidate who stood out who has that success in the bank. Even if it doesn't work out for him, I can't fault the board for picking him out on this occasion. It's worth noting that he picked out Jamie Vardy when he was Fleetwood manager so he's certainly a good judge of a player one would feel.

Fully behind the appointment, even though I'd perhaps not have gone for him myself. 

• Like 1