Norwood

8 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

Thank goodness we have Norwood.Ok sometimes  I think  he looks angry  with the lack of service but now Stones is here he does.Hope we can keep Stones  until the end of the season

I think that's unlikely given the meltdown by some Wigan fans, let's enjoy watching him while we've got him.

That is the downside of the loan system- someone who isn't good enough for their club gets game time in a lower division and improves potentially denying one of our own the chance.

However Stones has improved us, and I'd be OK with 2-3 loanees to the end of the season if it filled those problem positions with Stones' quality and workrate.

The fact that smiley is improving Stones is a reason why if the player has a choice he might stay another month

25 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

That is the downside of the loan system- someone who isn't good enough for their club gets game time in a lower division and improves potentially denying one of our own the chance.

However Stones has improved us, and I'd be OK with 2-3 loanees to the end of the season if it filled those problem positions with Stones' quality and workrate.

The fact that smiley is improving Stones is a reason why if the player has a choice he might stay another month

You worked hard to find a downside of the loan system!

I’m not sure which of our multitude of players is missing his opportunity. They have been given their chance. It’s more of a problem in my book that bigger club from higher up keep young players in their youth systems till they loose interest and drop out of football, before breaking into their first teams.

The loan system allows some of them to play competitively and progress. Most of the players at lower levels of football are on short contracts anyway.

So many seasons the team changes beyond recognition during the summer.

24 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I’m not sure which of our multitude of players is missing his opportunity. They have been given their chance. It’s more of a problem in my book that bigger club from higher up keep young players in their youth systems till they loose interest and drop out of football, before breaking into their first teams.

The loan system allows some of them to play competitively and progress. Most of the players at lower levels of football are on short contracts anyway.

So many seasons the team changes beyond recognition during the summer.

The problem with loanees is if they do well the clubs soon want them back, if they do poorly they are soon sent back.

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

The problem with loanees is if they do well the clubs soon want them back, if they do poorly they are soon sent back.

We kept Kilkenny, we kept Lang, we kept Byrne, we kept Surridge…..  

Not always the case but I suppose the nearer they are to the 1st team at their parent club then the greater the chance they’ll want them back?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Longlostfan said:

a CM with Stones impact on loan until end of season from somewhere would be class.

even better if we signed em.

shout out Will Sutton well played at Hartlepool 👍🏻

5 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Not always the case but I suppose the nearer they are to the 1st team at their parent club then the greater the chance they’ll want them back?

we didnt keep Surridge tho.

sorrynotsorry l keep ruining your posts 🙄

9 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

But that's why the system exists isn't it? 

Bromley for example have 8 loanees from higher up the pyramid of which about half regularly play.  

We need to plug some gaps and get some younger legs in the side, whilst improving in a number of areas so I have no problem trying some young fresh talent if mixed with experienced heads like Norwood and Raglan.

If not good enough we just send them back so nothing lost..   

3 hours ago, Pidge said:

Not really Pidge.

Under the muppets we had a lot of short term loanees who didn't seem interested whilst we weren't bringing on much of our own.

There were notable exceptions Lang , Surridge, Bryne, Iverson, Palmer  etc and the best of them probably raised the game of those around them

I agree that if we brought a couple in there might not be anybody missing out now but I think it has been an issue in the past.

I agree it works well for the higher clubs and your point about them hoarding players who then drop out is valid too. On greedy league budgets it is relatively cheap to keep a teenager on what for most people would be an incredible salary on the off chance a few of them make it or can be sold on for millions.

I'm not sure how one would legislate for it but some element of 'use them or release them' with some sort of cap on overall numbers might release a few more nearly men whilst they are still hungry.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

A handful of the those we've had over the years, now if you have a few hours to spare list those who didn't stay (including Surridge).

40 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

A handful of the those we've had over the years, now if you have a few hours to spare list those who didn't stay (including Surridge).

We kept Surridge 3 months and what a player he was….the ones who didn’t stay or we didn’t want to keep were generally shite and there’s plenty of em!!

Should he stay fit, he should go on to accelerate his goal output. The more his peers know about the nuances of his movement. The better the service will be. His goal ratio for the last two months versus the first two months should be interesting, if anyone could be arsed checking.

Love him, me.

• Like 2