Norwood

As most of you know I don't post much, but I'm an avid reader on OWTB. I've only managed a couple of home games this year (as I now live 130x miles away from Boudary Park in Worcester). However, I have managed to watch all the available games on the National League for the UK watchers My point is what does Norwood bring to the team? He appears to run around the pitch like a headless chicken, never beats defenders and never ever wins a header. OK, he might score a few goals, but nothing like I was expecting. Maybe his teammates hear what he's supposed to be being paid and don't like it. Just my thoughts and I'm not looking for an argument, but big Mikey has more get up and go in him than JN could only hope to have. Lofty (ex PC Assist)

9 minutes ago, pcassist said:

As most of you know I don't post much, but I'm an avid reader on OWTB. I've only managed a couple of home games this year (as I now live 130x miles away from Boudary Park in Worcester). However, I have managed to watch all the available games on the National League for the UK watchers My point is what does Norwood bring to the team? He appears to run around the pitch like a headless chicken, never beats defenders and never ever wins a header. OK, he might score a few goals, but nothing like I was expecting. Maybe his teammates hear what he's supposed to be being paid and don't like it. Just my thoughts and I'm not looking for an argument, but big Mikey has more get up and go in him than JN could only hope to have. Lofty (ex PC Assist)

Pros.

He’s clinical. He’s the only striker that when he’s through- I think - goal. 

When he’s on it, his link play is very good. He sees the picture a lot better than all of them, and often plays a little through ball- or a chest flick on that others don’t read. 

When he’s on it, he grafts and does a lot of dirty work a lot strikers can’t be arsed with. 

Cons

The last two points become null and void when he spits his dummy out. By far his worst attribute is his attitude. 

He’s isn’t great in the air. 

In summary.

When he can be arsed- he’s the best footballer at the club. 

• Like 1

Provide Norwood with shite service and get little in return.

Provide Fondop with shite service, still get little in return. Probably more red cards from frustration. Ok he may score a goal or two through moments of inspiration.

However, provide them both with decent service and Norwood probably scores three times what Mike does.

• Like 2

I think he's been isolated up top a lot and asked to graft for very little reward. I don't think we've ever played in a way that maximises his skill set and on the occasions he's played as part of a 2, it's never been consistently the same person to help him build a partnership. 

I agree about the attitude but at the same time I think he was sold the dream of coming here, banging in the goals and winning the league. Instead he's been in the mire in a bang average side. 

I think long term a partnership of Norwood and Reid would be the best way or even Willoughby as I think either would benefit from his clever hold up and layoffs.  I think with a pacy partner it would also allow him a bit more space to work in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

The problem isn’t Norwood, it’s the midfield, obviously. 

Why anyone would question a striker that has continually scored goals is beyond me. 

It’s quite straight forward why he is being questioned. Far too many times this season he hasn’t put anywhere near enough effort in.  Last night was the prime example. He can hold it up and give defenders a hard time, such as the Alty and Dale games. He needs to do that every time he steps out onto the pitch.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Zero service.... Simples...

There’s more to it than that Gaz and I think it’s lazy argument to just say it’s service. Good players can also create things for themselves. He has shown in glimpses his quality but nowhere near enough. Even when he’s on an on off day, I expect 100% commitment and we don’t get anywhere near that.

Edited by welshgaz
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, OAFC Blues said:

I agree about the attitude but at the same time I think he was sold the dream of coming here, banging in the goals and winning the league. Instead he's been in the mire in a bang average side. 

I think a lot of that gets over played. 

We offered a 3 year deal on more money than he was on at Barnsley, in the twilight of his career. 

That’s the sole reason he’s here. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

There’s more to it than that Gaz and I think it’s lazy argument to just say it’s service. Good players can also create things for themselves. He has shown in glimpses his quality but nowhere near enough. Even when he’s on an on off day, I expect 100% commitment and we don’t get anywhere near that.

He chased down more than anyone last night. He won fuck all granted and I'll concede that he's a bit of a smacked arse when it's not going his way but he's not the type of striker to be beating 6ft+ centre halves to a ball lumped forward, and that is literally ALL he had to feed off last night.

Last night it was being hoofed towards him at every available opportunity. He always had 3 or 4 defenders around him and even if he had managed to win & control the ball there wasn’t an Oldham player within 30 yards!!

He was on a hiding to nothing and a target man he is most definitely not!

We have probably paid a substantial fee and salary said to be close to £1/2m over the 2 years for potentially the National leagues top scorer….what a bloody waste of money if we can’t provide him with decent service!!

8 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

He chased down more than anyone last night. He won fuck all granted and I'll concede that he's a bit of a smacked arse when it's not going his way but he's not the type of striker to be beating 6ft+ centre halves to a ball lumped forward, and that is literally ALL he had to feed off last night.

Don’t disagree that he was feeding off scraps. But make something with those scraps! I counted 4 occasions in the first half where his first touch let him down.

That said he’d still be in my first choice pairing up front.

We need him playing with a smile on his face ... but on several occasions this season he has been in the position to tap it in and didnt receive the pass required. Goals change games and its those moments of unselfishness that win games for clubs that play like a team. This is one of the main reasons we are where we are, thunderbastards from Dickenson, Green and Sheron are not the norm and the sublime finish from Hope are the norm in the premier leaugue ... that is not where we are ..... these opportunities need to be taken. The more Norwood is left in sulk mode the less games we win. 

Edited by andy_b_100

3 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

This has got to be a joke post? 

He's the star man, presumably on star money and should be expected to show real leadership.  It would be daft to write him off and everyone can acknowledge that service has been lacking and that the structure has been wrong, but has he shown that yet?

• Like 3

I agree with pretty much everything that's been written in this thread about Norwood. He has some undoubted qualities but there are some negatives. I really, dislike his body language when he perceives team mates have let him down. Our players don't make mistakes on purpose, they make mistakes because they are fifth division players. Not one of them will improve because Norwood shows his frustration at their ineptitude. But curiously, as noted by Andy on the pod, he does have a nurturing side and, at times, can be seen encouraging and coaching team mates. At Wealdstone when on the bench he was clearly coaching Nuttall as both warmed up.

He was on a fool's errand on Tuesday night, particularly after Hogan was sent off. It was mystifying to us all why he wasn't replaced, or supplemented, with Fondop if we were going to lump it high, long and hopeful. 

Norwood's a question mark for me at this stage, just really hoping MM gets the best out of him, don't think we've seen it yet.   

Edited by Hemel latic

22 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

He's the star man, presumably on star money and should be expected to show real leadership.  It would be daft to write him off and everyone can acknowledge that service has been lacking and that the structure has been wrong, but has he shown that yet?

A star man who will score given the service. He’s feeding off scraps at the minute, even his goal at Rochdale, none of our other strikers would have scored. 

He isn’t the life and soul when playing as other clubs fans have confirmed about him but if that’s his personality so be it. We asked for a proven goalscorer and got one. Time to sort out our very weak midfield to provide him service and play to his qualities, and being made to play on his own isolating him because of our midfield frailties is hardly fair. 

He was geeing up the lads after Rochdale scored their first and second goals and trying to calm the nobheads running on the pitch fighting, would suggest that is leadership? 

10 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

He was geeing up the lads after Rochdale scored their first and second goals and trying to calm the nobheads running on the pitch fighting, would suggest that is leadership? 

Took the captains armband when Hogan was sent off too. It wouldn't surprise me if he finishes the season as captain.

You can tell he's used to a much higher level than this just by his movement alone. Not a problem with his attitude. He's a winner, and doesn't settle for mediocrity. It's interpreted as sulking but I'd have that any day of the week rather than players who really don't give a fuck. And there's much more than them than Norwood.

• Like 4