BPAS PODCAST: 11th Dec '23, S4E20: There's Work To Do

Would never criticise the club for seeking to improve the quality of the playing squad, you can't legislate for how poor Freeman has been even if he has had off field issues, Raglan hasn't looked like someone who was playing two levels higher and Norwood I guess came with an expectation of doing a Langstaff/Mullin.

A few worrying signals from Mellon IMO, time isn't something someone of his experience should be asking for given our budget/stature, we are conceding goals at an alarming rate and rumours of trying to do a pre season and telling your captain he is surplus to requirements mid season.

16 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

A few worrying signals from Mellon IMO, time isn't something someone of his experience should be asking for given our budget/stature, we are conceding goals at an alarming rate and rumours of trying to do a pre season and telling your captain he is surplus to requirements mid season.

Yes I bet all this has gone down like a lead balloon, I honestly think he is probably writing the season off already with an eye on next and eyeing up his targets accordingly, although saying that he will be under no pressure at all given the shit show he's inherited. Without doubt it's going to take time.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

A few worrying signals from Mellon IMO, time isn't something someone of his experience should be asking for given our budget/stature

He can only get so much from these players and I think he’s at that point now.

The existing squad along with the vast majority of Unsworth’s additions have proved time and time again that both collectively and individually they’re just not good enough.

He said when he came in that there would be no emotion attached to his decisions and he will do whatever is required to get a side together worthy of representing this football club.

It can’t be easy telling the likes of Nuttall & captain Hogan that they are not in his plans but fair play if that’s what he’s done.

We are going nowhere with this lot.

IMO, If we have to write the season off to make a proper challenge next term then so be it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

If only he was young and progressive like David Dunn, and here we are stuck with 5 promotions Micky. 

• Like 3

Back to the Podcast...  The 'scam' of awards ceremonies certainly used to pervade in the financial services industry - the more cynical of us (that would be me) always assumed that the likelihood of winning an award was in direct proportion to the number if tickets a firm was prepared to buy, usually in a Park Lane hotel and several hundred pounds a pop.  When I was a regulator my team always took the view that the more awards a firm had on display in reception was in inverse proportion to their adherence to the rules.

39 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

He can only get so much from these players and I think he’s at that point now.

The existing squad along with the vast majority of Unsworth’s additions have proved time and time again that both collectively and individually they’re just not good enough.

He said when he came in that there would be no emotion attached to his decisions and he will do whatever is required to get a side together worthy of representing this football club.

It can’t be easy telling the likes of Nuttall & captain Hogan that they are not in his plans but fair play if that’s what he’s done.

We are going nowhere with this lot.

IMO, If we have to write the season off to make a proper challenge next term then so be it.

Captain has been one of the better performers and is apparently very popular in the dressing room and around the club, not sure it is a battle you need to be having this early on.

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Captain has been one of the better performers and is apparently very popular in the dressing room and around the club, not sure it is a battle you need to be having this early on.

Usually gives 100% But just like Sheron and a few more he can’t pass a bloody football!!

6 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Back to the Podcast...  The 'scam' of awards ceremonies certainly used to pervade in the financial services industry - the more cynical of us (that would be me) always assumed that the likelihood of winning an award was in direct proportion to the number if tickets a firm was prepared to buy, usually in a Park Lane hotel and several hundred pounds a pop.  When I was a regulator my team always took the view that the more awards a firm had on display in reception was in inverse proportion to their adherence to the rules.

Ha that reminds me of the quote somebody (Sir Kenneth Cork?) made years ago - he said if he walked into a corporate HQ and saw lots of marble in the reception area, he suspected the business was on thin ice!

Where have the rumours come from regarding these players that have been told they need to find a new club? A couple of the names are no surprise of course but others have featured heavily over the past few weeks or so and I can't imagine the club being very happy with these names being made public on the pod if there is any truth in them of course. As for the players being told to find a new club, if they are under contract they really don't, it's the club that needs to find them a club that's interested and even then, they are well within their rights to say no. Makes me laugh how the pod are now saying we need to be patient (again!) because the recruitment has been poor after previously telling everyone that it would all come good under 

Unsworth because everything was in place to make us successful including the recruitment department. With the exception of Mellon who I every faith in, what makes everyone so confident we will get the recruitment right this time around if the people handing out contracts are still in situ? Reminds me of Chelsea and United at a much lower level this. Scatter gun approach to recruiting players with no real thought on a system or style of play. Let's hope Mellon is given full control.

3 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Where have the rumours come from regarding these players that have been told they need to find a new club? A couple of the names are no surprise of course but others have featured heavily over the past few weeks or so and I can't imagine the club being very happy with these names being made public on the pod if there is any truth in them of course. As for the players being told to find a new club, if they are under contract they really don't, it's the club that needs to find them a club that's interested and even then, they are well within their rights to say no. Makes me laugh how the pod are now saying we need to be patient (again!) because the recruitment has been poor after previously telling everyone that it would all come good under 

Unsworth because everything was in place to make us successful including the recruitment department. With the exception of Mellon who I every faith in, what makes everyone so confident we will get the recruitment right this time around if the people handing out contracts are still in situ? Reminds me of Chelsea and United at a much lower level this. Scatter gun approach to recruiting players with no real thought on a system or style of play. Let's hope Mellon is given full control.

Agreed re Mellon, I have every confidence he is the man to take us forward, he will be aware of who he needs to get rid of by now, and it will be quite a long list. 

7 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Makes me laugh how the pod are now saying we need to be patient (again!) because the recruitment has been poor after previously telling everyone that it would all come good under 

Unsworth because everything was in place to make us successful including the recruitment department.

So what do you suggest…not being patient?

They never said it would all come good under Unsworth, no one could predict that with any certainty.

What they did say was that we now had a proper management and recruitment set up and that we were finally heading in the right direction.

Sacking managers every few months had got us absolutely nowhere and we were right to give Unsworth a fair amount of time. It’s obvious now that we shouldn’t have given him as long as we did but that’s easy to say in hind sight!

It’s sad that it hasn’t worked out but that’s the nature of football. MM has a good track record and has had a few promotions. Hopefully, he can repeat it here but again there are no guarantees and it isn’t happening overnight!

We will have to be patient as we have no other choice!

15 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

So what do you suggest…not being patient?

They never said it would all come good under Unsworth, no one could predict that with any certainty.

What they did say was that we now had a proper management and recruitment set up and that we were finally heading in the right direction.

Sacking managers every few months had got us absolutely nowhere and we were right to give Unsworth a fair amount of time. It’s obvious now that we shouldn’t have given him as long as we did but that’s easy to say in hind sight!

It’s sad that it hasn’t worked out but that’s the nature of football. MM has a good track record and has had a few promotions. Hopefully, he can repeat it here but again there are no guarantees and it isn’t happening overnight!

We will have to be patient as we have no other choice!

Agree in the main, however, there is no evidence whatsoever we are currently heading in the right direction. I do think Mellon is the right man but as you say there are no guarantees.

13 minutes ago, PeteG said:

there is no evidence whatsoever we are currently heading in the right direction.

I really don’t know how you can come to that conclusion….After 4 years of absolute total regression with the Lemmies and Barry Owen I’d say we absolutely are!!!

7 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I really don’t know how you can come to that conclusion….After 4 years of absolute total regression with the Lemmies and Barry Owen I’d say we absolutely are!!!

I judge it by our performances on the pitch, in the last 2 seasons i've seen us have some of the worst results in the clubs history including the last 2 home games. I'd have thought we had bottomed out last season.

5 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Agree in the main, however, there is no evidence whatsoever we are currently heading in the right direction. I do think Mellon is the right man but as you say there are no guarantees.

Mellon needs complete autonomy, if any lesson cam be learned from this it's that too many cooks will spoil the broth, it's clear as day the Unsworth/Thompson/Royle dynamic was completely useless, it would be interesting to know what part each of those men of the game played in the mess, my guess is they'd probably all blame each other.

It's probably worth pointing out that you will be lucky if 50% of your signings are a success, it's a tough gig but you can't help but feel we've not helped ourselves.

Even the great Joe Royle got a lot wrong but fortunately got a lot of the major ones right.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

Ha that reminds me of the quote somebody (Sir Kenneth Cork?) made years ago - he said if he walked into a corporate HQ and saw lots of marble in the reception area, he suspected the business was on thin ice!

Sounds about right!

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

'the pod' is just the opinion of a few people. No more than that.  

15 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Mellon needs complete autonomy, if any lesson cam be learned from this it's that too many cooks will spoil the broth, it's clear as day the Unsworth/Thompson/Royle dynamic was completely useless, it would be interesting to know what part each of those men of the game played in the mess, my guess is they'd probably all blame each other.

It's probably worth pointing out that you will be lucky if 50% of your signings are a success, it's a tough gig but you can't help but feel we've not helped ourselves.

Even the great Joe Royle got a lot wrong but fortunately got a lot of the major ones right.

Spot on! Also the problem with too many involved is that it is easy for individuals to distance themselves when it goes wrong and not take responsibility. Much rather it be down to the manager, old fashioned maybe but what is required at our level imo.

18 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I judge it by our performances on the pitch, in the last 2 seasons i've seen us have some of the worst results in the clubs history including the last 2 home games. I'd have thought we had bottomed out last season.

Well judge it by the wider picture then, because that matters.

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

'the pod' is just the opinion of a few people. No more than that.  

Not exactly, they are much closer to the club than most and therefore if these names have come from within the club it's a little different from someone on here or twitter just plucking some names from mid air and starting a rumour. I'd think what is said on the podcast carries a little more weight and influence.

19 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I judge it by our performances on the pitch

Narrow thinking. If the club is being run properly off the pitch then it increases the chances of things improving on the pitch. 

The club is undeniably being better run than it was under the Lemsegams and Barry Owen. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Narrow thinking. If the club is being run properly off the pitch then it increases the chances of things improving on the pitch. 

The club is undeniably being better run than it was under the Lemsegams and Barry Owen. 

This for me should always be  remembered, when you listen to the likes of Wellens whose as straight as they come then it's clear it was an absolute shit show during their tenure, we've probably all witnessed the improvements off the pitch it's finding the formula for translating that on to the pitch. Might take some time but we were nearly damaged beyond repair by shitpeas and co.

• Like 7