BPAS PODCAST: 11th Dec '23, S4E20: There's Work To Do

35 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Not exactly, they are much closer to the club than most and therefore if these names have come from within the club it's a little different from someone on here or twitter just plucking some names from mid air and starting a rumour. I'd think what is said on the podcast carries a little more weight and influence.

The transfer 'targets' mentioned were all taken off here. Just rumour reporting.

23 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

This for me should always be  remembered, when you listen to the likes of Wellens whose as straight as they come then it's clear it was an absolute shit show during their tenure, we've probably all witnessed the improvements off the pitch it's finding the formula for translating that on to the pitch. Might take some time but we were nearly damaged beyond repair by shitpeas and co.

And still some people blame Wellens for relegation 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

The transfer 'targets' mentioned were all taken off here. Just rumour reporting.

Same with those deemed surplus, someone putting two and two together and getting six, we can all speculate on here but only Mellon and those involved will really know. 

7 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

He played his part.

I find it hard to blame any of the managers who managed us during those 4 miserable years of regression all 10 effectively failed thecjob was impossible. Wellens has since won 2 promotions in the 5 years after he left ud which suggests he has something about him as a manager.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Eminem is Scottish, Coote identifies as Scottish and played for their age groups so thats a done deal*

always judged as one with promise. no idea what happened at Brentford but they seemed to fancy him, maybe they realised the prem was pushing it a bit!!

hopefully hungry to prove he can make it here and he comes on our 'journey'.

26 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I find it hard to blame any of the managers who managed us during those 4 miserable years of regression all 10 effectively failed thecjob was impossible. Wellens has since won 2 promotions in the 5 years after he left ud which suggests he has something about him as a manager.

Not enough to scrape a win out of 8 very winnable end of season games though.

10 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

TBF we had one of those games won, until some twat pulled on eaves pony tail. 

Just remembered it was Moimbe. 

Edited by disjointed

9 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Players (rightly) downing tools, being told what players to play, having to manage a fractured dressing room, only a selection of players getting paid, having the fuckwit brothers bollocking players and sending in spies.  

I'm amazed he didn't lose all 8.

It makes no difference anyway. We'd be exactly where we are now even if we'd have stayed up.

4 hours ago, PeteG said:

Where have the rumours come from regarding these players that have been told they need to find a new club? A couple of the names are no surprise of course but others have featured heavily over the past few weeks or so and I can't imagine the club being very happy with these names being made public on the pod if there is any truth in them of course. As for the players being told to find a new club, if they are under contract they really don't, it's the club that needs to find them a club that's interested and even then, they are well within their rights to say no. Makes me laugh how the pod are now saying we need to be patient (again!) because the recruitment has been poor after previously telling everyone that it would all come good under 

Unsworth because everything was in place to make us successful including the recruitment department. With the exception of Mellon who I every faith in, what makes everyone so confident we will get the recruitment right this time around if the people handing out contracts are still in situ? Reminds me of Chelsea and United at a much lower level this. Scatter gun approach to recruiting players with no real thought on a system or style of play. Let's hope Mellon is given full control.

:lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeteG said:

Not exactly, they are much closer to the club than most and therefore if these names have come from within the club it's a little different from someone on here or twitter just plucking some names from mid air and starting a rumour. I'd think what is said on the podcast carries a little more weight and influence.

Projecting his own time with Barry as his intel.... fuckin hilarious.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PeteG said:

Agree in the main, however, there is no evidence whatsoever we are currently heading in the right direction.....

....unlike his time as a runner for Mo... when the the circus was in town....

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

A good listen, although a bit frustrating that Richie Wellens was given 4 minutes of airtime to yet again blame everyone but himself for getting our strongest squad in years relegated...

Yeah, but you got to hear from the horses mouth that he wasn't ready for management but was rushed in because of the instant success he achieved. Anyway, it's old ground and covered well earlier in the thread but his record after us contains much more success than most of his peers and the way the strongest squad in years™ * disintegrated was a symptom of the culture of madness the owner was happy to let thrive.

* It wasn't though, contained good players, granted. Eoin Doyle, Peter Clarke and Jack Byrne were a class above. Gardner, McEleney and possibly Wilson one would argue were steady for the division we were in. But I struggle to name many after that who were worthy of "The best squad in years". It was bloated with Abdallah's European mercenaries and players, like Gerrard and Craig Davies, who had yellow "whoops!" stickers stuck to them. A myth, really.

59 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Yeah, but you got to hear from the horses mouth that he wasn't ready for management but was rushed in because of the instant success he achieved. Anyway, it's old ground and covered well earlier in the thread but his record after us contains much more success than most of his peers and the way the strongest squad in years™ * disintegrated was a symptom of the culture of madness the owner was happy to let thrive.

* It wasn't though, contained good players, granted. Eoin Doyle, Peter Clarke and Jack Byrne were a class above. Gardner, McEleney and possibly Wilson one would argue were steady for the division we were in. But I struggle to name many after that who were worthy of "The best squad in years". It was bloated with Abdallah's European mercenaries and players, like Gerrard and Craig Davies, who had yellow "whoops!" stickers stuck to them. A myth, really.

and we loaned Peter Clarke to Bury in the January of that season as well. I wonder if that was down to Wellens or Abdallah? That certainly didn't help. When Gerrard got injured it left us with two young kids as our centre halfs (Edmundson and Hamer) who weren't really up to it...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TwistingMyMellon said:

and we loaned Peter Clarke to Bury in the January of that season as well. I wonder if that was down to Wellens or Abdallah? That certainly didn't help. When Gerrard got injured it left us with two young kids as our centre halfs (Edmundson and Hamer) who weren't really up to it...

Wellens has said himself he chose Gerrard over Clarke so allowed Clarke to go to Bury...

On 12/11/2023 at 4:16 PM, GlossopLatic said:

So Freeman Hogan Gardner Green Shelton and Nuttall all told to move on interesting. Slightly surprising considering some are currently in the side at the moment but at the same time not surprising I think we will make a fair bit of saving here even if we can get half of them off the books.

I didn't really like it when I first heard this but it was inevitable that Mellon would want to dispense with some of the current squad and in effect, he's placed them on the transfer list, it's just we're unlikely to receive a transfer fee.

Although it probably will cause some disruption, particularly where they are popular with other squad members, it's fair to the players. It gives them a chance to find new clubs, it lets them know where they are if they can potentially work harder to impress the manager. 

Three of the players (Hogan, Gardner and Freeman) are in the twilight of their careers. Hogan can undoubtedly still do a job at this level and I assume he has leadership qualities given he's our captain. And Gardner played his best game in an Oldham shirt as recently as the Woking game but there are the underlying concerns about his body's ability to cope with the demands of the game.

Shelton could prove to be another Ben Garrity given a chance elsewhere. Green is inconsistent but in a pedestrian team we need some pace. And Nuttall is an enigma. I always remember his performance against Notts County at home on New Year's Day, he looked a brute of a centre forward that day with some skill too. Unfortunately we just don't see that Joe Nuttall enough.

We have been crying out for twelve months now for a right back and a ball playing centre midfielder. Let's hope MM/Santa can bring those players to the club.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Also an element of bullshit about what Wellens was saying, he referred to Kallum Mantack who had gone out on loan to Stockport before Abdallah had taken over the club and was responsible for paying the wages.

Going out on loan doesn’t mean Stockport had the responsibility of paying his wages.