BPAS PODCAST: 11th Dec '23, S4E20: There's Work To Do

On 12/13/2023 at 5:47 PM, Dave_Og said:

Just carry on defending him. God alone knows why you'd bother.

I'm reminded of the tail of Lieutenant Hiro Oonada who was still fighting the Second World War for the Japanese in the Phillipine mountains and only surrendered in 1974 effectively wasting 29 years of his life. 

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 10

On 12/12/2023 at 4:46 PM, PeteG said:

Where have the rumours come from regarding these players that have been told they need to find a new club? A couple of the names are no surprise of course but others have featured heavily over the past few weeks or so and I can't imagine the club being very happy with these names being made public on the pod if there is any truth in them of course. As for the players being told to find a new club, if they are under contract they really don't, it's the club that needs to find them a club that's interested and even then, they are well within their rights to say no. Makes me laugh how the pod are now saying we need to be patient (again!) because the recruitment has been poor after previously telling everyone that it would all come good under 

Unsworth because everything was in place to make us successful including the recruitment department. With the exception of Mellon who I every faith in, what makes everyone so confident we will get the recruitment right this time around if the people handing out contracts are still in situ? Reminds me of Chelsea and United at a much lower level this. Scatter gun approach to recruiting players with no real thought on a system or style of play. Let's hope Mellon is given full control.

Cheers Barry's lap dog

On 12/12/2023 at 7:58 PM, disjointed said:

TBF we had one of those games won, until some twat pulled on eaves pony tail. 

Just remembered it was Moimbe. 

Moimbe did make about 5 goal line clearances that season though. Swings and roundabouts 

Letting Clarke go to Bury was far from the most ridiculous decision made by the club at the time.

I remember at the Blackpool game where Shez named 3 subs, it looked like his legs had gone.

He had a bit of a renaissance since, but at the time he wasn't playing well..  

On 12/13/2023 at 3:23 PM, PeteG said:

Also an element of bullshit about what Wellens was saying, he referred to Kallum Mantack who had gone out on loan to Stockport before Abdallah had taken over the club and was responsible for paying the wages.

He didn't own the club when he brought in Menig either.

Good Pod.

I agree that it is too early to write the season off, but equally trying to win a promotion play off from 6th or 7th is very hard in the NL format. I must say I am surprised that you haven't kicked on from the second half of last season and the section of the conversation about recruitment being a common denominator in your recent problems rang true with me.

It may be me, but Mellon does NOT come across well in interview. He sounded a bit clueless to me, to be honest. Clearly, there is more to him than that. But he seems to be getting you used to the idea of a big rebuild in the summer.

The stuff on MCOs interested me. I think UEFA are belatedly looking at it, but it may come into sharp relief in the new, expanded form of the World Club Championship, where it may be almost impossible to keep clubs from the same stable apart. 

Edited by basilrobbie

47 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

It may be me, but Mellon does NOT come across well in interview. He sounded a bit clueless to me, to be honest. Clearly, there is more to him than that. But he seems to be getting you used to the idea of a big rebuild in the summer.

He comes across like Albert Einstein compared to Unsworth. 

I think you answer your own point Rob, he’s very adept at saying everything without saying to much- because it’s clear he’d like to get rid of a lot of them, but he needs them for the time being until we can rebuild in the summer. 

I think anyone would be a bit clueless as to what to do with this lot at the moment..

It seems a bit uncertain whether we can sign players, and no one's going to take the players off us, so he's a bit in limbo.

We needed a change of manager, but it's no slight on him that it's been a bit flat..

• Matt unfeatured this topic