City laying on buses to their ground from Oldham on matchdays

17 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

In all seriousness, I was more thinking about limiting what marketing clubs can do outside of their catchment area and that sort of thing.

Or where they are allowed to have academies and maybe a limit on numbers. 

Ive not put much thought into this by the way. My white paper isn’t ready for publishing just yet. 

Tbf if the time came I'd like to think we could potentially advertise outside of our catchment area to say Tameside or Rochdale.

I would want an independent regulator to be looking at bigger things such as making sure less dodgy bastards run football clubs 

This must support your local club thing only really exists in the North West. There are huge swathes of the country where there isn't a local club at all. Hardly surprising that people in those areas gravitate to the big glamourous clubs.

8 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

This must support your local club thing only really exists in the North West. There are huge swathes of the country where there isn't a local club at all. Hardly surprising that people in those areas gravitate to the big glamourous clubs.

It was much more of a thing in the 90's when half the country claimed to be a man united fan but they've gone abit quieter this last 10 years so it's less of a thing.

Anywhere where there's not a local club is fair game.

Fashionable club coming from outside into a town where a struggling football club already exists and giving punters the option to be whisked away to a better place (just because they can) is a bit of a "rotten" trick in my opinion...

Edited by JoeP
Inappropriate language
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Also applies to swathes of the country where there are many local clubs … there are some who just want to ‘support’ a team at the top of the league (oh and Man Utd) 👍

5 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Also applies to swathes of the country where there are many local clubs … there are some who just want to ‘support’ a team at the top of the league (oh and Man Utd) 👍

Such is life. Me being cross about it isn't going to make anyone switch to supporting a fifth division club. It's up to the club to generate interest and that's harder in this age than it once was

On 2/9/2024 at 11:31 AM, JoeP said:

None, probably. 

But if it becomes a permanent thing, it's just another unnecessary factor that might encourage future generations of Oldham to sack Latics off in favour of the cheaty Billionaires down the road. 

It certainly doesn't help us out...

I'm in agreement with you Joe but it's a little bit shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. As a club, unless we were Championship or Premiership, it's never likely to have a negative effect on us. Yes, we've lost supporters who've been beguiled by the fancy, shiny Premier League but even at their level clubs don't give a flying fuck about the matchgoing supporter. Over at OT, fans are being directly messaged and bullied for missing several matches, because they want the day-tripper fans flocking towards them for inflated ticket prices and spending obsene amounts in megastores.

Where I'm coming to with this is over time (and I feel it's already started to happen anyway) disallusioned working class supporters of Citeh, United and Liverpool will start to follow local clubs lower down the league who maintain their sense of community. The want to feel closer to your team will trump looking at them like ants on a pitch or heavily veneereed airbrushed versions of them on telly. As life goes on, more will have two clubs. Unpalatable to the likes of you and me, but there will be a growing number who'll choose Citeh or United as their "telly club" and Oldham for the club they actually go along to see. The non-league experience of proper pint at the ground, some reasonable quality street food from a vendor inside it and an authentic social experience is actually seeing those clubs in the non-league pyramid mop up. Dorking are a great example; I bet they have tons of Chelsea fans amongst their support base. Wealdstone too.

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I'm in agreement with you Joe but it's a little bit shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. As a club, unless we were Championship or Premiership, it's never likely to have a negative effect on us. Yes, we've lost supporters who've been beguiled by the fancy, shiny Premier League but even at their level clubs don't give a flying fuck about the matchgoing supporter. Over at OT, fans are being directly messaged and bullied for missing several matches, because they want the day-tripper fans flocking towards them for inflated ticket prices and spending obsene amounts in megastores.

Where I'm coming to with this is over time (and I feel it's already started to happen anyway) disallusioned working class supporters of Citeh, United and Liverpool will start to follow local clubs lower down the league who maintain their sense of community. The want to feel closer to your team will trump looking at them like ants on a pitch or heavily veneereed airbrushed versions of them on telly. As life goes on, more will have two clubs. Unpalatable to the likes of you and me, but there will be a growing number who'll choose Citeh or United as their "telly club" and Oldham for the club they actually go along to see. The non-league experience of proper pint at the ground, some reasonable quality street food from a vendor inside it and an authentic social experience is actually seeing those clubs in the non-league pyramid mop up. Dorking are a great example; I bet they have tons of Chelsea fans amongst their support base. Wealdstone too.

It sort of depends what our ambitions are - if our long-term goal is replicate what they do at Wealdstone and Dorking, then fine. (When I say "fine", I mean "shit, but it is what it is").

This move probably won't influence those that are disillusioned with the Premier League one way way or the other, I wouldn't have thought. But it could tap into a potential support base that would make a difference to us, but not to them.

I know the football fan is changing - supporting more than one Premier League team, following players, rather than clubs...🤮

I just wish there was a bit of pride in what the club brings to the town and someone from the council (?) might have said "No, we don't want that - we've got a good owner at our local club who's trying to build something in this patch. Jog on."

I notice this new venture doesn't stretch to Bolton.  I wonder if they told them where to go!

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 1

If we were to do a bus ourselves where would we do one from say going from Shaw through to Royton and then BP. Would 1 from the centre of Oldham work? It would be interesting where in the borough we draw our regular match day going support from.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

If we we re to do a bus ourselves where would we do one from say going from Shaw through to Royton and then BP. Would 1 from the centre of Oldham work? It would be interesting where in the borough we draw our regular match day going support from.

409 ? 👍

14 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

If we were to do a bus ourselves where would we do one from say going from Shaw through to Royton and then BP. Would 1 from the centre of Oldham work? It would be interesting where in the borough we draw our regular match day going support from.

Lived in Oldham when they  announced closure of Mumps and heralded the impending arrival of Metrolink. I  objected to Metrolink, arguing it would just suck people from Oldham into Manchester and not vice versa. It would be the death knell for Oldham town centre. Metrolink was obviously going ahead anyway (again, the wish of the Manchester megalomaniacs) so I suggested it should branch off at Westwood down to the Royal Oldham Hospital in order to serve all the hospital workers/visitors etc. (and, by default, Latics would benefit). It could then have gone via Royton and joined up again to Rochdale. I also said send it along the old railway line through Lees and Springhead into Saddleworth. Seemed sensible to me and that would have covered an awful lot of our catchment area. They were not interested and never will be - they just want to "feed" the City of Manchester but our dumb shit councillors never saw it. Stockport Council have some interesting views about the undue influence of Manchester but I won't bore you (probably have already) as it's a football forum.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Greenfield grotton lees town centre  ground 

Uppermill dobx delph waterhead  town centre ground 

Milnrow newhey shaw royton ground 

Mossley lees town centre ground 

Ashton hathershaw town ground 

Holinwood werneth featherstall rd ground 

Middleton millshill chadderton ground 

Just some that might work 

This will have ZERO effect on our attendances.

As some have already said, rarely now do we play at the same time or day as City and they sell out anyway for most games well in advance.

If it helps get fans who go to the games there more easily, and its cheaper and more environmentally friendly it's fine with me.

We play better football =we get more floating fans. Simple.

This is what we should be focusing on, not moaning about fucking buses to City.

Edited by Londonboy
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, spanishfly said:

Lived in Oldham when they  announced closure of Mumps and heralded the impending arrival of Metrolink. I  objected to Metrolink, arguing it would just suck people from Oldham into Manchester and not vice versa. It would be the death knell for Oldham town centre. Metrolink was obviously going ahead anyway (again, the wish of the Manchester megalomaniacs) so I suggested it should branch off at Westwood down to the Royal Oldham Hospital in order to serve all the hospital workers/visitors etc. (and, by default, Latics would benefit). It could then have gone via Royton and joined up again to Rochdale. I also said send it along the old railway line through Lees and Springhead into Saddleworth. Seemed sensible to me and that would have covered an awful lot of our catchment area. They were not interested and never will be - they just want to "feed" the City of Manchester but our dumb shit councillors never saw it. Stockport Council have some interesting views about the undue influence of Manchester but I won't bore you (probably have already) as it's a football forum.

You could also add 14 years of failed Tory Government where they have talked about Northern powerhouses and levelling up and nothing has been delivered to what you've just said too.

• Like 3

While I agree with Joe’s sentiment, is it actually the reality? 

Our crowds in division 5 are 6.5/7k they were at that level in league one when blitz took over. They weren’t far off that level in the championship. The only upsurge was in the prem years and the few years leading up to that. 

So- from 1994 onwards (take out the AL years, when they dropped for obvious reasons) I’d say our average gate hasn’t changed much - when you factor in 4 relegations in that time. . I’d say our fanbase is extremely resilient and loyal and will only grow with success. 

Edited by League one forever
  • Like 1

It raises an interesting point this though I do think the transport links to BP aren't the best. We often here of teams coming to Boundary Park that we would take more away if we were in that position. Boundary Park isn't what you would class as a good away day. We are miles from a train/metrolink stop and their aren't too many decent pubs around the ground and that's before you factor in Boundary Parks famous inclement weather. Most of these problems are actually outside the clubs control, the addition of Bar station zebra has greatly improved the matchday experience for home fans, but it does show we are up against it when you look at the external factors.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

It raises an interesting point this though I do think the transport links to BP aren't the best. We often hear of teams coming to Boundary Park that we would take more away if we were in that position. Boundary Park isn't what you would class as a good away day. We are miles from a train/metrolink stop and there aren't too many decent pubs around the ground and that's before you factor in Boundary Parks famous inclement weather. Most of these problems are actually outside the clubs control, the addition of Bar station zebra has greatly improved the matchday experience for home fans, but it does show we are up against it when you look at the external factors.

At least we aren’t stuck on retail park miles from anywhere like York City!!

We are a 5 minute bus/taxi ride from Oldham town centre, a taxi for 4 costs about £1.50 each. We are only a 15 minute walk away from Royton centre. There are loads of accessible pubs available and it’s a much better away day than many others in this division.

23 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

At least we aren’t stuck on retail park miles from anywhere like York City!!

We are a 5 minute bus/taxi ride from Oldham town centre, a taxi for 4 costs about £1.50 each. We are only a 15 minute walk away from Royton centre. There are loads of accessible pubs available and it’s a much better away day than many others in this division.

Yeah but Yorks a nice place you can make a weekend away of it. In terms of away days ideally you want pubs and a train station that are really close to the ground like Brentford, Crewe, or Leyton Orient. Its generally the feedback I hear from other clubs supporters.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Yeah but Yorks a nice place you can make a weekend away of it. In terms of away days ideally you want pubs and a train station that are really close to the ground like Brentford, Crewe, or Leyton Orient. Its generally the feedback I hear from other clubs supporters.

You can make a weekend of it in Manchester too but we’re not talking about weekends are we? And as close as Crewe is to the ground there’s absolutely fuck all in Crewe!!😂😂

9 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

You could also add 14 years of failed Tory Government where they have talked about Northern powerhouses and levelling up and nothing has been delivered to what you've just said too.

Oh Lord yes I know. I was just talking at a local level, Glossop. I no longer have any political allegiances, I see the lot of them as self-serving greedy bar stewards.