'Best' Opinion of the season?

Which OWTB opinion re Latics' season currently looks the daftest?  Was going to do a poll but can't see that option anymore?  Anyway, the understandably quasi-schizophrenic nature of the Latics fan has thrown up some belters so far this season.  Which is the best and worst of these?

We don't have a decent keeper on the books?

Fondop should never play for the club again?

Lundstram is the answer?

Norwood's demeanour is in line with his ability?

Unsworth deserves more time?

Signing a 35yo on an 18 month contract is tantamount to madness?

The budget has obviously all been spent?

The season's over?

Hogan's finished

Green just isn't up to this level?

McGahey is a midfielder?

I'm sure there are plenty more

Bit of a daft thread to start, especially when you're giving a selection of subjective opinions, based, however loosely, on temporary periods of form, which could just as quickly change for the better or worse, as they already have.

This is a forum for supporters to voice a view, not to be lambasted or ridiculed for doing so if it doesn't fit with perceived wisdom (which itself has a habit, naturally, of changing from month-to-month) of a handful of people who take on the role of the arbitrator of sensible opinion.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Astro said:

Bit of a daft thread to start, especially when you're giving a selection of subjective opinions, based, however loosely, on temporary periods of form, which could just as quickly change for the better or worse, as they already have.

This is a forum for supporters to voice a view, not to be lambasted or ridiculed for doing so if it doesn't fit with perceived wisdom (which itself has a habit, naturally, of changing from month-to-month) of a handful of people who take on the role of the arbitrator of sensible opinion.

Light-hearted...  But here are quite a few on here who might wish to consider not to have such definitive opinions over such short timeframes 

4 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Light-hearted...  But here are quite a few on here who might wish to consider not to have such definitive opinions over such short timeframes 

We all do it mate. I've veered from "season's over" to "we'll make the Play-offs" to "ffs, Woking have turned us over, we might not make it" to now looking at 2nd or 3rd place! I also said the other week Aldershot and Gateshead will fade...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Which OWTB opinion re Latics' season currently looks the daftest?  Was going to do a poll but can't see that option anymore?  Anyway, the understandably quasi-schizophrenic nature of the Latics fan has thrown up some belters so far this season.  Which is the best and worst of these?

We don't have a decent keeper on the books? - Hudson has done well. Happy with him. Poor opinion.

Fondop should never play for the club again?  - With hindsight, poor opinion, but I felt the same when he got sent off and cost us the game. (Solihull?)

Lundstram is the answer? - Desperate opinion accentuated by the Unsworth situation at the time.

Norwood's demeanour is in line with his ability? - I'd like to see him get a bit more excited - see Garner.

Unsworth deserves more time? - Poor opinion with a dash of hindsight. Never felt like a good fit for me at any point.

Signing a 35yo on an 18 month contract is tantamount to madness? - We shall see but looking like a poor opinion.

The budget has obviously all been spent? - I do worry we have spent above our budget - we shall see.

The season's over? - Terrible opinion.

Hogan's finished - I think most people were favouring Raglan and Hobson in a 4-4-2 until Hogan's recent form.

Green just isn't up to this level? - Jury still very much out for me.

McGahey is a midfielder?  - Did an effective job for a couple of games

Sorry Dave my instinct was to respond to this like a work email - albeit far more enjoyable. See embedded.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I'd rather people had opinions, I'm probably guilty of one or two you've listed particularly the budget one - it does still concern me and probably shouldn't.

With regards to players opinions can change from day to day with regards to some of them, Lundstrum for instance suffers because we placed massive expectation on him, he maybe even feels that himself.

Opinion on here is exactly that, what bugs me more is those who just go against the grain for the sake of it,  I think most of what you've posted just reflects the up and down season we are having, we literally don't have a clue what we are going to get on a Saturday afternoon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Astro said:

Shut up you tart

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Astro said:

Agree with this, but the complaint about us scoring from crosses after the Borehamwood game was an absolute beauty 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I was convinced Nuttall would score 20 

Yes, this quote (which I firmly believe was Lee Sinnott, but I'm often wrong), looks very, very out now but may have seemed reasonable early in the season. It's one of those where hindsight is a great thing (insert joke about being glad to see the back of Nuttall here...). 

3 hours ago, Astro said:

I make them regularly. So much deserved lambasting.

Bunch of lambastards.

Still, the funniest one is "blocked".

https://www.cementaustralia.com.au/

27 minutes ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

Yes, this quote (which I firmly believe was Lee Sinnott, but I'm often wrong), looks very, very out now but may have seemed reasonable early in the season. It's one of those where hindsight is a great thing (insert joke about being glad to see the back of Nuttall here...). 

It was me...

Other people’s.

It’s bloody awful. (After another win)

Winning at all costs might mean something to a lot of you - but I want to see good football. (After 4 relegations in 30 years, and being the least successful club in England ) 

Yeah, two goals- but both crosses!? Why isn’t played on the floor!? (After one of the goals is a cross pass along the floor) 

I can’t believe how Mellon has got in your head -(‘your’ meaning people who like winning) 

Get used to this football, it’s what the club signed up for. (Only showing up  after the first loss in 8, and rejoicing in the hope David Dunn might return to show us what young and progressive looks like) 

Mine. 

Why have we signed a 36 year old Garner. . .

I rate Will Sutton, but he can’t play right back. . . 

Edited by League one forever

14 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

We don't have a decent keeper on the books?

Fondop should never play for the club again?

Lundstram is the answer?

Norwood's demeanour is in line with his ability?

Unsworth deserves more time?

Signing a 35yo on an 18 month contract is tantamount to madness?

The budget has obviously all been spent?

The season's over?

Hogan's finished

Green just isn't up to this level?

McGahey is a midfielder?

I'd like to throw in they won't sack David Unsworth something people were adamant about even if we were sat above the relegation zone David Unsworth was going to be the first manager in the history of football to be unsackable.

1 minute ago, LaticsEddie said:

My 15 quid bet for Oldham to win the league that keeps staring at me in the face on every time I go on SkyBet is a contender

I wish mine was £15... Still, it is EW (top three) so it's not quite in the bin yet

• Ackey locked this topic

🔓

OK - this thread wasn't that bad, hence the quick clean up. I like the essence and the tone is light hearted. Let's keep it that way, no naming-names or calling people out specifically please. Make the quote but don't turn this in to a 'right v wrong' thread or the calling out of people for differing (right, wrong or other) opinions.

I doubt this will last long, these things rarely do, but I'm willing to give everyone a crack at it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Ackey unlocked this topic
12 hours ago, deyres42 said:

People insisting Norman was better than Hudson and the budget worriers the standouts for me.

For me the budget worry was one of the reasonable “worries”. Do any of us know the depth of the owners pockets?  Every other Oldham owner in recent years have either run out of money or just decided to stop wasting money on our/their football club. 

I still find myself hoping we get promoted for many reasons, but one is that league 2 money will help the owners.