Micky Mellon Sack Watch

45 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

SIX years ago - the league has changed hugely in that time.

He really has shown that he knows the National League hasn’t he?

😮

This. 

NL now is a different animal than then.

Pretty much all teams are now full time, with money and ambition.

To me he has shown no evidence that he knows  how to get out of this league unless someone can tell me differently.

He's won 10/30 games in charge which is a piss poor win rate in this league.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Is their another manager in this division who has got 2 promotions from the National League currently managing another National League side?

Safe to say the ex Gateshead manager would have been the perfect candidate for our club but you're correct about Mellon's past glories that might never come to fruition here

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

SIX years ago - the league has changed hugely in that time.

He really has shown that he knows the National League hasn’t he?

😮

33 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

This. 

NL now is a different animal than then.

Pretty much all teams are now full time, with money and ambition.

To me he has shown no evidence that he knows  how to get out of this league unless someone can tell me differently.

He's won 10/30 games in charge which is a piss poor win rate in this league.

Who has shown the ability to get out of this league more recently than Mellon who is also a realistic target?

On 4/7/2024 at 12:14 PM, GlossopLatic said:

The way this season has finished is dissapointing the recruitment wasnt the best over the season, and even then this squad man for man was good enough to get into the play offs atleast.

But

To describe it as worse than the relegation seasons is total perspective free drivel.

I didn't quite describe it as worse I said "possibly more depressing".

Is it 1 win in 12 that deyres42 quotes when knocking Sheridan? Well we're about to match it, but from 3rd or 4th in the 20-25 game form table, against a back drop of positivity off the pitch and widespread expectation of our first play off campaign in in 17 years.

Expectation and outcome are poles apart this season whereas the relegations - certainly the one from League 2 - were hardly unexpected.

Incidentally the outcome is identical i.e. next season in non league not League 2, only this time without a parachute payment or any novelty factor. 

There's some perspective for you 👍 

3 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Safe to say the ex Gateshead manager would have been the perfect candidate for our club but you're correct about Mellon's past glories that might never come to fruition here

Grass is always greener isn't it. Seriously is their another manager at another club who has won promotion twice from this division? His record is better than any other manager in this division with the possible exception of Paul Cook?

6 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Maybe it would have been better getting in a young and hungry coach, advocating entertaining football and with a long term plan.

As I said I think Pete Wild would be perfect!

Entertaining football? Not so sure there. Not from Wild.

Barrow are averaging a very, very similar goals per game. We are averaging 1.37 per game. They're averaging 1.39 goals per game

Just now, deyres42 said:

Bit like thinking a manager is going to come good just because he has done well elsewhere.

He might come good because he has past experience of doing it. I think we're better off giving him the summer to rebuild than sacking him and moving on to the next manager who will again be given barely any time to bed in before you're finding ways to write him off

But writing off his past achievements because he signed good players is just weird

Very much doubt he is going anywhere unfortunately so you'll get your wish on that front.

His achievements are there in black and white but it can't be denied that some of them have been achieved with players demonstrably better than the level, he hasn't got that with us so what is his point of difference going to be?

8 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Entertaining football? Not so sure there. Not from Wild.

Barrow are averaging a very, very similar goals per game. We are averaging 1.37 per game. They're averaging 1.39 goals per game

Yes,

In a league above us, punching well above their weight, virtually guaranteed a play off place with the opportunity to be where we were for 21 year's 

2 minutes ago, Can Neil Redfearn Do It said:

I didn't quite describe it as worse I said "possibly more depressing".

Is it 1 win in 12 that deyres42 quotes when knocking Sheridan? Well we're about to match it, but from 3rd or 4th in the 20-25 game form table, against a back drop of positivity off the pitch and widespread expectation of our first play off campaign in in 17 years.

Expectation and outcome are poles apart this season whereas the relegations - certainly the one from League 2 - were hardly unexpected.

Incidentally the outcome is identical i.e. next season in non league not League 2, only this time without a parachute payment or any novelty factor. 

There's some perspective for you 👍 

But it's not more depressing is it and its tosh to suggest so unless you suffer from memory loss.

The expectation was top 7 we've not hit it, its dissapointing we've not hit that target it's not depressing. We have a board that are still learning a manager who has only been here what 6 months and a squad whete we've made a few signings sone have worked some haven't. But we are well placed to challenge next season. Both on and off the pitch we'll be better for this experience.

4 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Yes,

In a league above us, punching well above their weight, virtually guaranteed a play off place with the opportunity to be where we were for 21 year's 

Not exactly free flowing attacking football though is it which is what some people demand. I'll take just winning, however it comes, and I'd take Wild straight away

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

But it's not more depressing is it and its tosh to suggest so unless you suffer from memory loss.

The expectation was top 7 we've not hit it, its dissapointing we've not hit that target it's not depressing. We have a board that are still learning a manager who has only been here what 6 months and a squad whete we've made a few signings sone have worked some haven't. But we are well placed to challenge next season. Both on and off the pitch we'll be better for this experience.

All I can say is that it's an experience most of us, don't want to live through for much longer.

Note to all.

Eyrsey loved David Dunn because he was young and progressive. Rumour has it, he set up the first Oldham Athletic Ritchie Wellens Fan Club- but it was disbanded after relegation. 

His record on knowing a manager and getting the big calls right is unprecedented.