MATCH: Southend (H) 02/03/24

38 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

Hammond created a chance for Green about 2.5 hours ago

Don't come on here spouting facts. Some people see what they want to see.

Thought it was quite an entertaining game.  Both teams missed chances/had chances saved in the first-half.

Southend were alright - not the best team we've seen here.  Kiddie were better.  (Although we make most teams look good to be fair..)

Hammond was great, but as stated elsewhere needs to get on the weights.

Thought we lost energy up front once Fondop went off.  Sceptical about the Garner/Norwood partnership potential.

When the goal went in we just looked completely dejected.  There didn't seem to be any geeing up and getting everyone going.  We still are missing that sort of character, I think...

It'll be a reasonable return from the two home games if we can win on Tuesday.

Biggest moan goes to the absolute bant-lad who sped out of the ground in his SUV onto Broadway in front of a load of people (including kids) crossing the road after the game.  Could've killed someone.  Could you not have waited until the next gap in the traffic? Dunno what goes through some peoples head..,.

Edited by JoeP

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Defend him all you like I tell it as I see it and he was lightweight and easily dispossessed. 

Not seen him tackle or create a chance yet. We need a strong quick  direct central attacking  midfielder and he doesn't fit the bill to me.

He may well improve with experience, but not what we need now IMO.

You've had your opinion and quite entitled to it so don't go nasty on others who give theirs.

What did you think of the performance of their number 5.  The one you thought we should have signed? 

Decent game for our level, end to end, and don't think that either team will be unhappy.

Their keeper made a wonder save from Sheron, and our keeper made an equally brilliant save to foil a long range effort from them.

They had their moments, but so to did we.

Can't really grumble too much about our lot, except, for the life in me, I cannot see what Kitching brings to the team, he was bloody awful.

All in all, another point. We move on.

3 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

Decent game for our level, end to end, and don't think that either team will be unhappy.

Their keeper made a wonder save from Sheron, and our keeper made an equally brilliant save to foil a long range effort from them.

They had their moments, but so to did we.

Can't really grumble too much about our lot, except, for the life in me, I cannot see what Kitching brings to the team, he was bloody awful.

All in all, another point. We move on.

Imagine singling our Kitching of all the shite that we have 

2 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

cannot see what Kitching brings to the team, he was bloody awful.

I don’t know what has happened to him, he was consistently one of our top performers and for a many a game our only creative outlet. But the last month or two his form has dropped off a Cliff. 

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I don’t know what has happened to him, he was consistently one of our top performers and for a many a game our only creative outlet. But the last month or two his form has dropped off a Cliff. 

If he gets man-marked, he's nulled. Other teams got wise to it. Dunno why Eastleigh didn't do it during the week..

• Like 1

Enjoyed that for once. Two teams going at each other and plenty of chances at both ends. Southend plenty of the ball but lacking an end product, Oldham happy to soak up and catch them on the break. 

On the valence of play I’d say Southend probably shaded it but definitely a deserved point for both sides. I predicted a tentative 1-0 Oldham but can’t grumble with that point at all. 

Fondop and Garner I though struggled as a partnership today, didn’t seem to be on each others wavelength which was surprising given their game time together and respective forms. Look better with Norwood on the pitch but yet to be convinced Garner is a good foil. 

Great to see Sheron and Hammond getting up the pitch and getting heavily involved in the attacks, gives the strikers more opportunities to find space and adds options to play through. Green was having a good game until his injury, looked like it could be a bad one unfortunately. Thought Conlon, while not fully fit, was an upgrade on McGahey in CDM, the play slowed down significantly when it went through him, I can deal with that away but not at home. Really surprised to see all the Hammond criticism- he certainly needs to improve in areas including his first touch and strength but he has a great engine and uses it to create space and subsequent chances from them, positionally he is where he needs to be at any point and always willing to join the press. 

Back 3 were solid and did well in the air against some serious arial presence in the Southend team. Kitching isn’t a natural LWB his instinct is to always be deeper than he needs to be and delivery was off for his standards. It was an eye roll moment when Hogan occupied the RWB role but actually played quite well there, even though their was a lack of end product. 

Hudson kept us in it, equally their GK kept them in it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I truthfully will be bloody glad when this season is done and dusted. You chaps are still very much in the mix for the play-offs whereas we will scratching our arses in mid table wondering why it's ok for Everton to get their points penalty reduced when we were saddled with the full 10 points. That said, our chairman/Owner brought all of that on us and he ends up making a pile developing the land that would of been our new stadium. Now that's off my chest, today was a grind it out game for both teams. We probably had more possession but were pretty wasteful in front of goal, and you chaps scored a scorcher but didn't then follow it up sufficiently to claim the points.

When we both look back on the game we will marvel at our keeper's heart stopping save to deny you and you may well think the same about your keeper's save to keep out Scott-Morriss's pile driver, which was bound for the top left corner of your goal. Other than that, we both pretty much cancelled each other out, so 1-1 was probably fair.

I wish you well for the remainder of the season  and I will be very happy if you do manage to break out of this League as it will make next season a little easier for us to have a proper go at promotion without any of the off field garbage that has been part of this season.

• Like 17

12 minutes ago, Rootshallbloke said:

I truthfully will be bloody glad when this season is done and dusted. You chaps are still very much in the mix for the play-offs whereas we will scratching our arses in mid table wondering why it's ok for Everton to get their points penalty reduced when we were saddled with the full 10 points. That said, our chairman/Owner brought all of that on us and he ends up making a pile developing the land that would of been our new stadium. Now that's off my chest, today was a grind it out game for both teams. We probably had more possession but were pretty wasteful in front of goal, and you chaps scored a scorcher but didn't then follow it up sufficiently to claim the points.

When we both look back on the game we will marvel at our keeper's heart stopping save to deny you and you may well think the same about your keeper's save to keep out Scott-Morriss's pile driver, which was bound for the top left corner of your goal. Other than that, we both pretty much cancelled each other out, so 1-1 was probably fair.

I wish you well for the remainder of the season  and I will be very happy if you do manage to break out of this League as it will make next season a little easier for us to have a proper go at promotion without any of the off field garbage that has been part of this season.

Good Summary. 

All the best for the rest of the season. 👍🏻

• Like 1

Hammond will get better the more he plays.

Thought he covered a lot of ground today . He's very mobile and has a decent engine on him, though he did tire towards the end of the game.

He done an excellent job of closing down when Southend were passing out from the back, then falling back into midfield when they got forward.

He did have a few opportunities to at least test the keeper but it wasn't to be.  Also agree with those who say he needs to bulk up, he has the ability to carry us forward but today he was out muscled 2 or 3 times- tenacious enough to try and win the ball back though.

Get him on the Sam Sulek bulking up diet and work out (YouTube reference, he showed up on my feed for some reason and I have to watch his nonsense), and Hammond will be able to run through brick walls, never mind being out muscled!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Defend him all you like I tell it as I see it and he was lightweight and easily dispossessed. 

Not seen him tackle or create a chance yet. We need a strong quick  direct central attacking  midfielder and he doesn't fit the bill to me.

He may well improve with experience, but not what we need now IMO.

You've had your opinion and quite entitled to it so don't go nasty on others who give theirs.

One word.

Sutton.

1 hour ago, Theoutsider said:

What did you think of the performance of their number 5.  The one you thought we should have signed? 

Thought he kept our strikers quiet and was strong in the air, except when Norwood out timed him leading to the goal.

But then again Norwood has done that to centre backs all his career.

He will learn as he gets more experienced and I'm sure will become a big assett.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I think he's looked alright, especially as a youngster who's still learning and adapting. Really don't understand the constant eagerness to write players off, especially youngsters 

I haven't written him off I've said he's not the type of player we badly need to run directly from midfield at defences.

I didn't realise just how divisive Hammond is? I think he's a bit lightweight, but proves time and again how he can handle the physical aspect of this league. He'll get better, not worse. Found himself in some brilliant positions in front of goal but lack of composure saw them come to nothing.

I like matches like today. We're so often reminded of the level we're at, be it playing a team that's not even a town, with about twenty fans on a Saturday. It had that league match feel about it, with an opposition who came to play. Either team could've taken that. No-team played well enough for long periods. A neutral would've loved that.

Hogan was my pick. Pure leader who put his body on the line in a position he's nowhere near natural in. He made us difficult to break down on that side but we sacrificed the attacking intent by doing so. Confused by Conlon. Didn't look like unpicking the defence with a pass, just tried to keep us hanging on to possession. Kitchen gets much more attention on him, he's identified as such a threat now. It results on him far too often cutting inside or hanging back. He needs to find a way to get back to the marauding runs he built his rep on.

A decent draw. But only one if we continue to pick up wins.

• Like 3