MATCH: Southend (H) 02/03/24

Sorry for creating an early match thread, and if I’ve done it wrong. Just wanted a place to start talking about Saturday.

Thoughts…extremely tough game. Without the 10 point deduction, Southend would be in the playoffs and only one place behind us. And that’s with a thin squad and embargo most of the season. They also have the best defensive record in the league and have only conceded 36 goals.  Gave us a hammering on the opening day and in decent form having won their last 3. Plus our patchy (being kind) home form…I don’t think a draw is a bad result here if we can follow it up with a win v Bromley.  I think Bromley is the more winnable game of the two.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Sorry for creating an early match thread, and if I’ve done it wrong. Just wanted a place to start talking about Saturday.

Thoughts…extremely tough game. Without the 10 point deduction, Southend would be in the playoffs and only one place behind us. And that’s with a thin squad and embargo most of the season. They also have the best defensive record in the league and have only conceded 36 goals.  Gave us a hammering on the opening day and in decent form having won their last 3. Plus our patchy (being kind) home form…I don’t think a draw is a bad result here if we can follow it up with a win v Bromley.  I think Bromley is the more winnable game of the two.

Horror show at theirs, we owe them one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sloshed Joe said:

You want this job? You can have it. @Matt @Ackey and @Stevie_J can blow it out of their ass.

• Like 9

• Bender featured this topic

When I think of the first game of the season at Roots Hall back in August I still shudder…

We had gone into the game with optimism that we had recruited well over the summer., including pinching their star centre back. Southend were in a mess, with a potential 10 point deduction hanging over them and only 15 first team players…

We started slowly, going one down in the 8th minute and were very poor. Sutton was sent off in the 57th minute and we collapsed, conceding three more in the 84th, 87th and 96th minute 😱

Of the Oldham squad that day, 11 still feature on match days - and it could be argued that only Garner and Hammond of the new recruits can be considered first eleven starters so far.

Without the 10 point deduction, Southend would be just below in the league table. They are on a good run of form having won their last three games. We are still searching for that magic formula at home…

It could be a very tight game but I am going to summon my inner @Lee Sinnott and predict a 4-0 victory 😉

Yep we were absolute dog at their place.

They seem to have their mojo back and will still believe they can get into the playoffs.

A draw will be no good really for them so I think they will go for it, and we may see a bit of a basketball game, which could mean we can play more like the away side which probably suits us atm.

Green and Hammond must start for me to give us some pace on the counter attack.

An entertaining 2-1 for me but not sure which way...

30 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Yep we were absolute dog at their place.

They seem to have their mojo back and will still believe they can get into the playoffs.

A draw will be no good really for them so I think they will go for it, and we may see a bit of a basketball game, which could mean we can play more like the away side which probably suits us atm.

Green and Hammond must start for me to give us some pace on the counter attack.

An entertaining 2-1 for me but not sure which way...

They ran at us last season here, particularly the left winger Bridge.

We must be on the front foot this time and not sit deep  inviting them on.

I see my recommendation young centre back Adam Crowther should start for Southend and it will be interesting to see how he copes with our experienced strikers. Whatever happens he's one for the future in the Tarky mould.

Got to watch him on set plays though as he's a knack of scoring goals.

Edited by BP1960

19 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

As mentioned numerous times, we win most weeks under Mellon, we've lost 1 in 6 or whatever it is, we've got our top scorer back and these are due a defeat. We'll win comfortably...

Never change 🙂

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

When I think of the first game of the season at Roots Hall back in August I still shudder…

We had gone into the game with optimism that we had recruited well over the summer., including pinching their star centre back. Southend were in a mess, with a potential 10 point deduction hanging over them and only 15 first team players…

We started slowly, going one down in the 8th minute and were very poor. Sutton was sent off in the 57th minute and we collapsed, conceding three more in the 84th, 87th and 96th minute 😱

Of the Oldham squad that day, 11 still feature on match days - and it could be argued that only Garner and Hammond of the new recruits can be considered first eleven starters so far.

Without the 10 point deduction, Southend would be just below in the league table. They are on a good run of form having won their last three games. We are still searching for that magic formula at home…

It could be a very tight game but I am going to summon my inner @Lee Sinnott and predict a 4-0 victory 😉

We actually started quite quickly but unfortunately Norwood missed a sitter after three minutes. It was sharply downhill from there!

They are pretty naff away from Roots Hall with only 1.24 PPG and have played all the current top 7 bar us and Solihull and have failed to win away (D:2 L:3).

I think if we keep Cardwell and Bridge quiet then their shouldn't be too much threat going forward from them.

Lets just hope they're worse away than we are at home

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

They ran at us last season here, particularly the left winger Bridge.

We must be on the front foot this time and not sit deep  inviting them on.

I see my recommendation young centre back Adam Crowther should start for Southend and it will be interesting to see how he copes with our experienced strikers. Whatever happens he's one for the future in the Tarky mould.

Got to watch him on set plays though as he's a knack of scoring goals.

Didn't @Glossop Shrimper say Crowther was injured?

Didnt Crystal palace have a Christmas party in August as the previous couple of seasons they had a really good run of form post the festive period on the back of a woeful start to the season that had them in the relegation zone. 

Send them on a 3 hour drive round the M60 at 08:00 on a home match day or an overnight stay in a travel lodge at the players expense until they start winning at home and see if that cures the home defeatist mentality.   

Pile the players onto the team coach in the morning. Take them for a drive around the Yorkshire Dales. Then tell them we are playing Oldham away. Enjoy a light lunch in Settle, then drive back to the ground, play in orange, = sorted 4-0 win.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 100milesaway said:

Pile the players onto the team coach in the morning. Take them for a drive around the Yorkshire Dales. Then tell them we are playing Oldham away. Enjoy a light lunch in Settle, then drive back to the ground, play in orange, = sorted 4-0 win.

Weighed down thanks to 'Ye Olde naked man' 😉