MATCH: Southend (H) 02/03/24

10 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Kitching was piss poor and words fail me with Hammond who looks lost and way off the pace!

Should have won it on chances but we were second best and a point is the least Southend deserved.

Disagree regards Hammond. Think he’s a tidy player who just needs to fill out to compete in the man’s game. Still think he offers summer tho. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Disagree regards Hammond. Think he’s a tidy player who just needs to fill out to compete in the man’s game. Still think he offers summer tho. 

He was excellent on Tuesday 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

Two very evenly matched teams.

First 20mins were average at best then it started to open up.

Enjoyable if neutral. Less so if support either team.

Fair result.

They ran the game esp in the middle and there was far more action in our defensive third. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

This sneaking into the last play off place keeps getting a mention. We’re 4 points clear of 8th. We’re already firmly in the play offs!

Don’t tell the players that, they’ll panic under the pressure 🤣

You’re right but we have 5 home games left and can you honestly see us winning any of them? We are going to have to keep up our exceptional away form to get the points total we need…the away games at Aldershot and Halifax are massive….hopefully scrape a point on Tuesday and then take big numbers to Aldershot for a real playoff showdown 😉

18 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Kitching was piss poor and words fail me with Hammond who looks lost and way off the pace!

Should have won it on chances but we were second best and a point is the least Southend deserved.

Why Hammond was kept on so long is a mystery.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ritchierich said:

Don’t tell the players that, they’ll panic under the pressure 🤣

You’re right but we have 5 home games left and can you honestly see us winning any of them? We are going to have to keep up our exceptional away form to get the points total we need…the away games at Aldershot and Halifax are massive….hopefully scrape a point on Tuesday and then take big numbers to Aldershot for a real playoff showdown 😉

I think we will win on Tuesday 

• Like 1

First thought after that was that it was much better than what's gone before at home recently, we struggle to start games though and it took us 20 minutes to find our feet as Southend knocked it about nicely, they had a couple of half chances but we dealt with most things quite well.

Green going off was a shame but we adjusted quite well with McGahey into the back three, Hogan to RWB and Conlon in the middle, I thought McGahey did more at the back when he went in there, he was pretty ineffective in central midfield before the enforced change. Sheron should have scored late in the first half but made up for it later.

Work rate and intensity was much better today, deservedly took the lead and really should have put the game out of sight in the next fifteen with a series of spurned chances, including big chances for Norwood and Hammond.

Bit of fortune for their equaliser but you could see it coming and we hung on in the end but deserved at least a point. I'm happy today because they left it out there, Hammond and Sheron particularly worked their socks off and I thought Hudson was solid again.

Let's back it up Tuesday.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Because we are a better team with him in there, fucking hell the kids come in , plays positive and works relentlessly yet some want to write him off after less than half a dozen senior games.

It's no wonder our managers won't play youngsters, we have fans who don't have a fucking clue how to nurture and support young players, fucking morons. 

Is it any wonder he's leggy when he's covered more ground than any player bar none today. He's a far better option than Gardner or Lundstrum and he's our player. 

• Like 18

12 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

They ran the game esp in the middle and there was far more action in our defensive third. 

Yet we had the bigger chances in the game, Sheron misses a sitter, Garner is inches over, Norwood only has to lob the keeper and Hammond could have done better in a couple of one on ones he found himself in.

After the goal we had a purple fifteen minutes where we had them on the ropes but couldn't deliver the punch, they've scored via a deflection and we've  contained them for large periods of the game.

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Yet we had the bigger chances in the game, Sheron misses a sitter, Garner is inches over, Norwood only has to lob the keeper and Hammond could have done better in a couple of one on ones he found himself in.

After the goal we had a purple fifteen minutes where we had them on the ropes but couldn't deliver the punch, they've scored via a deflection and we've  contained them for large periods of the game.

He runs. That’s basically it?

Draw a fair result both teams had their chances. Not sure how sheron missed in the first half.

Hammond played well but crumbles in front of goal. We looked a lot better with Norwood on.

another tough game on Tuesday. Least the gap to 8th has grown 

33 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

And if we hadn’t started the season with Unsworth we’d probably be 10 points better off!

9 out of the starting 11 were Unsworths boys! 

Wonder if he was still here if we'd be in the same position as today....??

Didn't go today but saw the game at Roots Hall and they were a million miles better than us.

Just now, Londonboy said:

9 out of the starting 11 were Unsworths boys! 

Wonder if he was still here if we'd be in the same position as today....??

Didn't go today but saw the game at Roots Hall and they were a million miles better than us.

5 of the 14 that featured were Mo’s including 4 starters 

23 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

6 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

He runs. That’s basically it?

He provides energy in midfield which we obviously need when it contains McGahey so was left on as long as possible.

I've no professional expertise but am confident he'll prove to be a good signing. 👍

1 minute ago, Bobledgersheart said:

He provides energy in midfield which we obviously need when it contains McGahey so was left on as long as possible.

I've no professional expertise but am confident he'll prove to be a good signing. 👍

Here’s hoping 

Much better all round performance today. We actually tried to pass the ball in spells, and looked a bit calmer in possession. (Still nowhere near as much as I’d like) Thought we shaded the first half after slow start. Second half we were bright for the first twenty and then sat off, their goal was coming and a draw probably a fair result. 

Few specific points. 

Thought Hogan did well to fill the gap after green went off. 

Hammond needs to get in the gym and bulk up. Defensively he shit out of a few challenges today and offensively he’s so lightweight he just gets knocked off the ball. Which is a real shame as he got in some great pockets but couldn’t capitalise. Think we’ll see the best of him next season. 

Lastly.  

Nathan Sheron. You little beauty. Scored another great goal, should have had a brace. I think that’s 7 goals from midfield and he becomes our third top scorer. A brilliant return. He has his faults, but anyone questioning his place in the side is being made to look rather silly. 

Edited by League one forever
  • Like 8

15 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Because we are a better team with him in there, fucking hell the kids come in , plays positive and works relentlessly yet some want to write him off after less than half a dozen senior games.

It's no wonder our managers won't play youngsters, we have fans who don't have a fucking clue how to nurture and support young players, fucking morons. 

Is it any wonder he's leggy when he's covered more ground than any player bar none today. He's a far better option than Gardner or Lundstrum and he's our player. 

Defend him all you like I tell it as I see it and he was lightweight and easily dispossessed. 

Not seen him tackle or create a chance yet. We need a strong quick  direct central attacking  midfielder and he doesn't fit the bill to me.

He may well improve with experience, but not what we need now IMO.

You've had your opinion and quite entitled to it so don't go nasty on others who give theirs.

• Like 2