MATCH: Southend (H) 02/03/24

1 hour ago, Rootshallbloke said:

I truthfully will be bloody glad when this season is done and dusted. You chaps are still very much in the mix for the play-offs whereas we will scratching our arses in mid table wondering why it's ok for Everton to get their points penalty reduced when we were saddled with the full 10 points. That said, our chairman/Owner brought all of that on us and he ends up making a pile developing the land that would of been our new stadium. Now that's off my chest, today was a grind it out game for both teams. We probably had more possession but were pretty wasteful in front of goal, and you chaps scored a scorcher but didn't then follow it up sufficiently to claim the points.

When we both look back on the game we will marvel at our keeper's heart stopping save to deny you and you may well think the same about your keeper's save to keep out Scott-Morriss's pile driver, which was bound for the top left corner of your goal. Other than that, we both pretty much cancelled each other out, so 1-1 was probably fair.

I wish you well for the remainder of the season  and I will be very happy if you do manage to break out of this League as it will make next season a little easier for us to have a proper go at promotion without any of the off field garbage that has been part of this season.

How you looking for next season? If we stay down I'm looking at you lot to be one of the main contenders in the division next year. I've not followed the whole saga but with the other guy gone do you think you will be geared towards moving forwards now both in the short and long term?

Edited by GlossopLatic

10 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

How you looking for next season? If we stay down I'm looking at you lot to be one of the main contenders in the division next year. I've not followed the whole saga but with the other guy gone do you think you will be geared towards moving forwards now both in the short and long term?

Hopefully, with a full pre-season, uninterrupted by off field nonsense and embargoes, we should be a difficult side to play against. Kev Maher and John Still have recruited well this season now the embargo has been lifted, but they need time to bed in and get as fit as the rest of the squad. A couple of extras for midfield and we will be at the races. This, of course, assumes that no club from the EFL decides one or two of ours looks worth a punt.

We're still waiting for the takeover deal to finally be signed but it still looks ok. The new consortium are predominantly long term Southend followers with some dosh to spare, so they, together with our Aussie leader will do all they can to help the team. That said, as they are going to redevelop Roots Hall, money will be needed there as well, so it will be a cautious approach.

Edited by Rootshallbloke
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, League one forever said:

I don’t know what has happened to him, he was consistently one of our top performers and for a many a game our only creative outlet. But the last month or two his form has dropped off a Cliff. 

Probably something to do with his  wingman and chief hand-holder being frozen out.

• Like 1

During the 90 minutes yesterday we fielded 4 centre backs, 4 central midfielders and 3 centre forwards. 

We were unlucky to lose Green, but my word, we’re all spine and no limbs. The footballing equivalent of The Holy Grail’s Black Knight.

• Like 8

17 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

He’s just not got the physical strength of a man yet so won’t be able to do that yet. He’s already looked a far better option than Ward, Lundstram and the massively overrated (in all his time here) Gardner. 

So Gardner when he was alongside Fane and Byrne was overrated…yeah ok

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

People are seeing more in Hammond than I have so far. Thought he was weak and powder puff yesterday and stayed on the pitch 20 minutes too long...

Yeah exactly my opinion , very weak in the tackle and lost several that he should have won. Gets in some good positions but doesn’t know what to do with it when he gets the ball. Lot to prove for me.

4 minutes ago, Bluemood said:

Yeah exactly my opinion , very weak in the tackle and lost several that he should have won. Gets in some good positions but doesn’t know what to do with it when he gets the ball. Lot to prove for me.

Thankfully it's not Unsworth and Co. coaching him, at least he now stands a chance of incremental improvement. 

9 minutes ago, Wardie said:

No need to apologise for a differing opinion.

Thanks. Am not a WUM and don’t have several accounts. I just don’t see why Kitching in singled out when Hammond was and has been poor so far. 

so he has potential. Great. He presently looks out of his depth

5 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Thanks. Am not a WUM and don’t have several accounts. I just don’t see why Kitching in singled out when Hammond was and has been poor so far. 

Kitching appears to be regressing in his form [I'm not saying it's permanent], Hammond will most probably get better with coaching, physio and match time. We need players whose skills will develop alongside the experienced players who can pass on their knowledge. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Because Kitching is getting worse and the chances are Hammond will get better.

One's a seasoned pro and the other having his first taste on men's ( adults 😳 ) football.

Hopefully both will improve and prove their value in the run-in.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

I agree. Hammond was very average. However, Kitching was just bloody awful. And was singled out because in my opinion he was worse than Hammond.  

2 hours ago, Bluemood said:

But going off what I saw yesterday he was a lot better than Lundstrum...

• Like 1

This board cracks me up some times. Fighting over which players are the most shit, listing the shit flaws of players, pitch is shit, attendances are shit, formation is shit, playing 10 centre backs is shit, don’t play young players which is shit apart from ones who do get picked but are shit, manager’s playing style is shit.

A latics fan coming out of a 5 year coma reading this board would be forgiven for thinking the lemsagams are still in charge and we’re 4 points from safety. As opposed to being owned by local people who are investing heavily in the team and the future and it looking more than likely we’ll have our first play off finish in 17 years!

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

This board cracks me up some times. Fighting over which players are the most shit, listing the shit flaws of players, pitch is shit, attendances are shit, formation is shit, playing 10 centre backs is shit, don’t play young players which is shit apart from ones who do get picked but are shit, manager’s playing style is shit.

A latics fan coming out of a 5 year coma reading this board would be forgiven for thinking the lemsagams are still in charge and we’re 4 points from safety. As opposed to being owned by local people who are investing heavily in the team and the future and it looking more than likely we’ll have our first play off finish in 17 years!

Thats why we cant buy a win at home , negativity spreads

2 minutes ago, penrhyn said:

Thats why we cant buy a win at home , negativity spreads

There were a few scattered boos in main stand yesterday after 9 minutes when we went backwards with it because there was no obvious pass on. Retaining possession getting boos 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Fighting over which players are the most shit, listing the shit flaws of players, pitch is shit, attendances are shit, formation is shit, playing 10 centre backs is shit, don’t play young players which is shit apart from ones who do get picked but are shit, manager’s playing style is shit.

😂 Very true. 

The absolute lack of any balance is comical. 

Let’s take Hammond. 

He’s shit. 😂

Or

Cons

- He’s lightweight and gets knocked off the ball too easily. (A summer in the gym can will sort this) 

-He gets a bit panicky in possession at times. (Composure will come with more game time) 

Pro’s

- He worked his bollocks off yesterday and gives much needed energy/legs to the midfield. 
- He seems to find pockets of space quite frequently- that isn’t a coincidence. 
- He’s a positive player who shows for the ball and doesn’t hide. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

😂 Very true. 

The absolute lack of any balance is comical. 

Let’s take Hammond. 

He’s shit. 😂

Or

Cons

- He’s lightweight and gets knocked off the ball too easily. (A summer in the gym can will sort this) 

-He gets a bit panicky in possession at times. (Composure will come with more game time) 

Pro’s

- He worked his bollocks off yesterday and gives much needed energy/legs to the midfield. 
- He seems to find pockets of space quite frequently- that isn’t a coincidence. 
- He’s a positive player who shows for the ball and doesn’t hide. 

It’s the lack of balance that gets me. There’s nothing wrong with discussing the good and the bad obviously, but the negative chat on this board feels totally disproportionate to how we’re actually doing this season. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

It’s the lack of balance that gets me. There’s nothing wrong with discussing the good and the bad obviously, but the negative chat on this board feels totally disproportionate to how we’re actually doing this season. 

I think we need to remember how far we've come it was only 15 months ago that we were staring relegation in the face. It's about as much as we could expect interms of a turnaround. The first 6 months was always going to be difficult as we were turning round a ship in free fall. The breaks have been applied the ship has turned round and we are going in the right direction.

It can take along time to shift in public opinion. It took a long time for the quite a sizeable chunk of the fanbase to come to the conclusion that the Lemsagams were killing the club. Infact it really took until the final season before the protests at the games ramped up. Overall I actually think the mood is more in positive column than the negative column, but their isn't yet the real belied we are going to go up (I havent heard an EIEIEIO chant at a home game yet. We have some big fixtures coming up at home some big wins can really shift that and we can go into the run in and likely the play offs in buoyant mood. 

• Like 1