MATCH: Dagenham and Redbridge (A) 23/03/24

8 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Mellon looks at a loss as to why and his post match excuses are wearing thin

We have no divine right to win every game and I don’t expect to either. However, I’m just at a loss as to how Oldham Athletic Football Club, with such enviable financial backing, with such unbelievable fan support, and with what ‘apparently’ are described by numerous opposition managers as being some of the best players in the league continue to churn out shite like that week after bloody week!

Mellon said a while ago that he wouldn’t be wasting Frank’s money. He also said, in January, that he wasn’t looking to bring in anymore players as he was more than happy with what he’d got….

Out of all the players he’s recruited /wasted money on I would say only Garner has added any value at all!

The fact is that after 6 months under Mellon we still put out a team who consistently cannot even manage the basics. ie. control a football & pass it to a fucking team mate and seemingly having no idea as to how to play this game at all!

Make no mistake, this team is an absolute embarrassment and I’d be asking some serious questions as to WTF is going on and definitely before giving this bloke any more money for player recruitment next season!

You cannot continue to defend the indefensible because on the field we appear to be absolutely clueless in just about every aspect!

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I'm not so sure this is the case. They've only lost 2 in 11...

Bit of a weird take that, when was the last time a team drew themselves to promotion?.

Last 8 league games as us 18th in the form table, 8 points and only 7 goals scored with only Oxford worse off with 6 goals.

More importantly all our rivals are filling out the top 8 other than Alty and they still have more points in that time despite losing five.

It's the draws that will kill us, I'm not arsed if we lose games having a go, going unbeaten and drawing our next six isn't what we need.

9 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

We must have gone through 9 different centre midfielders this season but some how Nathan sheron outlives them all. 

again another woeful performance. Scared to control the ball and just aimless hoofing.

compare to their number 20 who ran their midfield 

Highlight for me was when he had the ball in the middle of the park, not a single opposition player near him. It was a 4 v 3 situation and he decided to pump it to the centre backs head. I was bloody raging.

The amount of times he gets passed the ball and just knocks it into a channel for no reason is baffling. He doesn’t like having the ball, an issue for a centre midfield player. 

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

Highlight for me was when he had the ball in the middle of the park, not a single opposition player near him. It was a 4 v 3 situation and he decided to pump it to the centre backs head. I was bloody raging.

The amount of times he gets passed the ball and just knocks it into a channel for no reason is baffling. He doesn’t like having the ball, an issue for a centre midfield player. 

Haha this the full stand just groaned. Norwood and him were having words for a long time after it. 

6 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Haha this the full stand just groaned. Norwood and him were having words for a long time after it. 

Not surprised, people wonder why Norwood is so angry. 

Baffling. He’s honestly so crap and I don’t know how he gets away with it each week. Put him at right back or something. 

20 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

I’ve watched the Fondop miss from about 3 of 4 different angles on videos I still don’t know how he misses it. How does he fall over as well. No composure 

He scores that 3 weeks ago, he was dropped rightly or wrongly and he appears to have lost a bit of his sparkle, not surprising really and he probably knows his days under Mellon are numbered given he's replaced him at every given opportunity. 

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

We have no divine right to win every game and I don’t expect to either. However, I’m just at a loss as to how Oldham Athletic Football Club, with such enviable financial backing, with such unbelievable fan support, and with what ‘apparently’ are described by numerous opposition managers as being some of the best players in the league continue to churn out shite like that week after bloody week!

Mellon said a while ago that he wouldn’t be wasting Frank’s money. He also said, in January, that he wasn’t looking to bring in anymore players as he was more than happy with what he’d got….

Out of all the players he’s recruited /wasted money on I would say only Garner has added any value at all!

The fact is that after 6 months under Mellon we still put out a team who consistently cannot even manage the basics. ie. control a football & pass it to a fucking team mate and seemingly having no idea as to how to play this game at all!

Make no mistake, this team is an absolute embarrassment and I’d be asking some serious questions as to WTF is going on and definitely before giving this bloke any more money for player recruitment next season!

You cannot continue to defend the indefensible because on the field we appear to be absolutely clueless in just about every aspect!

I was castrated for saying his signings have been shite last week.

(Not by you I might add)

Some people on here are incredibly hypocritical.

Judge Mellon and his team over the season, not one game. The reaction from some on here to going ‘toe to toe with the champions elect’ (fuck me that is cringe) was ludicrous. We played well in a single game. Whoop-de-fucking-do.

As things stand we are on the verge of not making one bit of progress under Mellon which would be hugely disapointing 

he could yet turn it around. 

time to show your minerals players.

Oh and we are presently more reliant on players signed under the Lemseghams than we have been at any point (perhaps bar the very early stage’s of DU’s tenure) since Shez left.

If you want an indicator of the utter disaster that has been our recruitment over the last 18 months it is this 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Didn't look too much of him size wise but he had heart, popped up in both boxes and could play a bit as well and was brave on the ball.

Surely a team with our budget can find a couple of players like him who keep the midfield ticking over or at least make it competitive. 

Our midfield other than Sheron actually look like they don't want to be here, what changed from the week before?

Our squad was badly exposed yesterday, throwing on four strikers at the end if you count Hope with nobody who can find a pass behind was stupid, Walker was disappointing but he's probably seen his arse as he's been given zero opportunity until yesterday - despite previously playing well. Conlon was rightly pulled and could have been after half hour but he's the only one capable of controlling a game in there, Gardner looks like he's going through the motions for us and looks ready for the knackers yard and other than that we've little to offer. McGahey is doing his best but he's played in half a dozen positions since Christmas and looks exposed in every one. 

Finally and this will be controversial, these same players didn't down tools as often as this for Unsworth, it's almost every other game now under Mellon and I'm scratching my head as to why, are the players picking and choosing when they want to play or has Mellon lost parts of the dressing room? He's banished around a third of the contracted players and left himself with the ones he can 'trust' but they are making him and Brabin look like a cunt - or does the problem still exist in that group?.

Honestly after yesterday I'd be happy if I didn't see 90% of that group again and you can probably start to count the manager in that now, where are we going with it?, it's turgid, tedious, uninspiring. What are they doing on the training ground? Where are the youth players coming through? That's ground to a halt in favour of 35 year old journeyman. Since Murray's been involved in training we've turned in to the most negative, boring team I've ever seen, we have a team now that would make Ronnie Moore's look like prime Brazil. 

Ah right its Murray's fault now

30 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Ah right its Murray's fault now

Blame who you want for the borefests -  Mellon, Brabin, Murray are all responsible for the way we set up as they have an opportunity to work with the players day in day out to change that.

Anyone who sees McGahey as the answer though doesn't fill me with confidence. 

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Blame who you want for the borefests -  Mellon, Brabin, Murray are all responsible for the way we set up as they have an opportunity to work with the players day in day out to change that.

Anyone who sees McGahey as the answer though doesn't fill me with confidence. 

Changing the set up would be pissing in the wind. There are about 6-7 things that need changing. Each of those has two legs 

1 hour ago, AndyB2 said:

(Not by you I might add)

Some people on here are incredibly hypocritical.

Judge Mellon and his team over the season, not one game. The reaction from some on here to going ‘toe to toe with the champions elect’ (fuck me that is cringe) was ludicrous. We played well in a single game. Whoop-de-fucking-do.

As things stand we are on the verge of not making one bit of progress under Mellon which would be hugely disapointing 

he could yet turn it around. 

time to show your minerals players.

Yes, judge him over a season. He's not had one

3 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Counted three times yesterday we took a thrown in only for it to go straight out of play. 

It’s very rare that we actually retain possession from our throw ins!

Bermondsey beer mile report: Brilliant.

I called out this squad and what will happen donkeys ago.

Hope everyone has a happy Sunday. I think the club should wrap up and just get a head start on preparations for the bin man league again next season. 

This team, for whatever reason, just lack the mentality to mount a promotion push.

I’ve heard they have shrink who comes in to speak to the players.

Don’t think it’s working.

4 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

I genuinely don't want to be the grammar pedant police, but as it's the 2nd time you've posted it...

"Castigated" is the word you're looking for, because castration is a lot lot worse.

I can be as much of a knob as the next person after a defeat, but I'd never castrate anyone for a different opinion.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I genuinely don't want to be the grammar pedant police, but as it's the 2nd time you've posted it...

"Castigated" is the word you're looking for, because castration is a lot lot worse.

I can be as much of a knob as the next person after a defeat, but I'd never castrate anyone for a different opinion.

Oh I don’t know. Some of those gobshites at the game yesterday shouldn’t be allowed to breed.