MATCH: Dagenham and Redbridge (A) 23/03/24

4 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I'm not sure which thread it belongs on, but the goalscoring return from our defenders is pitiful. I think Hogan is the only one to have chipped in this season and he's only got one...

I was trying to watch what we do at corners on Saturday but it's hard to follow on the stream as the camera is usually swinging wildly about in the wrong direction. But it looks like they all gather around the 6 yard box most times. So if the ball does get past the first man then they're all competing for headers from a standing start. I'm not sure if we show much variety or have specific plays when it comes to trying to score from set pieces but our return must be one of the worst in the league.

4 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I'm not sure which thread it belongs on, but the goalscoring return from our defenders is pitiful. I think Hogan is the only one to have chipped in this season and he's only got one...

Our defenders just stand around their goalie at most corners instead of starting runs from the edge of the penalty area and making various runs towards goal, or the ball. A little attacking intent movement puts the onus on their defenders to stop us and could result in more penalties instead of the refs dismissing them as "six of one half a dozen of the other".

I still maintain that one of the best rule changes would be to ban attacking players from being in the six yard box as a corner is being taken.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Our defenders just stand around their goalie at most corners instead of starting runs from the edge of the penalty area and making various runs towards goal, or the ball. A little attacking intent movement puts the onus on their defenders to stop us and could result in more penalties instead of the refs dismissing them as "six of one half a dozen of the other".

I still maintain that one of the best rule changes would be to ban attacking players from being in the six yard box as a corner is being taken.

Imagine enforcing that!  They can't even enforce the rule on encroaching into the box at penalties!

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Imagine enforcing that!  They can't even enforce the rule on encroaching into the box at penalties!

Would give the linesman something to do, they never signal any fouls.

It'd be fairly simple to ensure no attackers are in the six yard box at the point the corner's taken surely.

26 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

It'd be fairly simple to ensure no attackers are in the six yard box at the point the corner's taken surely.

The keeper would claim everything 

16 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

The keeper would claim everything 

Depends where the corners went. It would certainly encourage them to try to claim most corners but attackers would be allowed to enter the six yard box after the corner's been taken, just not loiter there wrestling with defenders all the time.

Most goalies would think twice about coming for corners landing around the penalty spot.

We’ve not done well from attacking corners for yonks. Do many goals actually get scored from corners these days generally, with the fixation on defending / not conceding?

Oh, to have an Andy Holden type of player, willing to crash through a pile of bodies to get his swede on the end of a corner!

• Like 1

It’s not just corners, it’s attacking set pieces - freekicks in dangerous positions & long throws etc.

Given we have big centre backs and supposedly play with attacking wing backs (well one wing back) - where’s the goal contribution from these players?

Goals from midfield has been pretty poor as well. Sheron gets his share. Dickenson chipped in. As does Green. But with Dickenson on loan and Green injured, we’re relying on either Sheron or the two chosen strikers to win us the game by scoring.

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

They're too busy checking whether the ball is overhanging the line of the quadrant.  Nothing persOnal - but I think it's a daft idea!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

It’s not just corners, it’s attacking set pieces - freekicks in dangerous positions & long throws etc.

Given we have big centre backs and supposedly play with attacking wing backs (well one wing back) - where’s the goal contribution from these players?

Goals from midfield has been pretty poor as well. Sheron gets his share. Dickenson chipped in. As does Green. But with Dickenson on loan and Green injured, we’re relying on either Sheron or the two chosen strikers to win us the game by scoring.

Exactly my point on another thread SJ.

Chesterfield midfielders/wingers:

Taylor 12, Dobra 10, Banks 8, Mandeville 7, Colclough 7, Berry 6, Jacobs 5.

CBs: Grimes 4, Palmer 3.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

They're too busy checking whether the ball is overhanging the line of the quadrant.  Nothing persOnal - but I think it's a daft idea!

Wouldn't be the first one I've had but watching  players wrestling in the six yard box isn't my idea of football !

It amuses me when players obviously time wasting when taking corners are assisted by supporters pleading for the ball to be moved 10 cm. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyPimp said:

We’ve not done well from attacking corners for yonks. Do many goals actually get scored from corners these days generally, with the fixation on defending / not conceding?

Oh, to have an Andy Holden type of player, willing to crash through a pile of bodies to get his swede on the end of a corner!

Just reading that Chesterfield have scored 34 goals this season from corners and free kicks.

1 hour ago, Boyyou said:

Don't forget to scrub off penalties

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Boyyou said:

Wow that’s a big difference compared to our support players.

I’ve just had a look through our league scores and we’ve blanked 11 times this season. Failing to score in a quarter of the games given our fire power is poor.

Norwood - 17

Fondop - 7

Sheron - 6

Dickenson - 5 (loaned out)

Reid - 5 (frozen out)

Garner - 4

Green - 3

Stones - 3

Hope - 2

Hogan - 1

Gardner - 1

Tollitt, Nuttall, Shelton - 1 (loaned out or frozen out)

Everybody else - 0

Not much evidence of the wand of a left foot of Conlon .. nor the areal prowess of Raglan and Hobson. Sulking or not we would be nowhere near the top end without Norwoods conrtibution. I feel for Reid, but he had been warned previously about his social media presence, Lets see where we are after the easter weekend before we wave the white flag. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, andy_b_100 said:

Not much evidence of the wand of a left foot of Conlon .. nor the areal prowess of Raglan and Hobson. Sulking or not we would be nowhere near the top end without Norwoods conrtibution. I feel for Reid, but he had been warned previously about his social media presence, Lets see where we are after the easter weekend before we wave the white flag. 

Reid offers something different but like Fondop Mellon never fancied him, shame he couldn't tow the line and play the game but that's some footballers for you.

14 hours ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Wow that’s a big difference compared to our support players.

I’ve just had a look through our league scores and we’ve blanked 11 times this season. Failing to score in a quarter of the games given our fire power is poor.

Norwood - 17

Fondop - 7

Sheron - 6

Dickenson - 5 (loaned out)

Reid - 5 (frozen out)

Garner - 4

Green - 3

Stones - 3

Hope - 2

Hogan - 1

Gardner - 1

Tollitt, Nuttall, Shelton - 1 (loaned out or frozen out)

Everybody else - 0

Norwood is the problem, get him gone…. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 6:09 AM, Lee Sinnott said:

Completely agree, I was thinking the same only the other day.

36 minutes ago, Norewgian Gunnar said:

It is a very poor  return from our defenders indeed. Peter Clarke was always at the end of corners and scored quite a few. In earlier years players like Richard Jobson always added to the goal tally. 

Clarke always attacked the ball instead of trying to wrestle defenders to the ground !! 👍