MATCH: Dagenham and Redbridge (A) 23/03/24

Just now, deyres42 said:

I see plenty of penalties, I don't see a guy who is suddenly going to double his numbers next season.

Who was the last penalty taker we had that was as good as him ? When he steps up, I have no doubt he will score. 

Or should we go back to the time DKD, Missilou and Hart all had a try at taking a penalty ?

It is a skill you know and it counts as a goal. 

We create nothing for him. That’s clearly the issue. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Who was the last penalty taker we had that was as good as him ? When he steps up, I have no doubt he will score. 

Or should we go back to the time DKD, Missilou and Hart all had a try at taking a penalty ?

the DKD that's got 19 in L2

20 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Hmmmm, he did miss a free header from 5 yards on Saturday, just like he did the week before against Chesterfield...

7 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Hmmmm, he did miss a free header from 5 yards on Saturday, just like he did the week before against Chesterfield...

Don’t remember the Chesterfield chance but the one on the weekend was behind him and the keeper saved it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Don’t remember the Chesterfield chance but the one on the weekend was behind him and the keeper saved it. 

He had a couple against chesterfield that were behind him. Seems to be a common theme of our crossing/set pieces at the moment. 

Just now, nzlatic said:

He had a couple against chesterfield that were behind him. Seems to be a common theme of our crossing/set pieces at the moment. 

Hardly a surprise when the person crossing the ball in is 28 year old overweight centre back. 

Yet let’s blame the proven striker. 

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Hardly a surprise when the person crossing the ball in is 28 year old overweight centre back. 

Yet let’s blame the proven striker. 

😂 yep I can think of far more pressing issues than our 17 goal striker not scoring enough solo dribbles from halfway. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nzlatic said:

You've picked Chesterfield as the one example to refute what I was saying but that is the exception rather than the rule given how far clear they are at the top.

One of the main problems I have with trying to have an online discussion about a complex matter is when things get reduced down to a simple point to try and argue against. I did not in any way say it was the "fans fault" nor was I "blaming the fans". The point I was making was that it will not help hurling abuse at players for having a bad game. I don't think anyone could argue that it would help. I mean I even specifically said that wasn't my point in a follow up post. I also said that I acknowledge that I understand frustrations and that I don't know what the answer is. If I thought the answer was fans needed to stop booing then that would suggest that I thought I did know what the answer is.

I don't think the fans will stop no matter what I or anyone else think about those sort of things being a possible a contributing factor to our problems, it isn't going to change. So it's 100% on the club to try and sort that out.

I think what happens is people see things in different ways. I think we're all fed up of our lot. Decades of relentless shite, yet still turning up in the hope that we're going to see something good at last. Then the Rothwells come in and we can finally see some light. But it isn't happening quickly and I think thats where fans diverge. Some are clearly furious that it's taking longer than they think it should. Others are a bit more relaxed about it. Each group probably winding the other up for thinking differently!

My personal feeling is that we were about as low as a club gets without going bust less than 2 years ago. We have novice football club owners (yet very experienced and successful local business people who care), a relatively inexperienced CEO and we started off with a novice 1st team manager. All trying to build a club up from rock bottom. Things will go wrong and they did, starting with the Unsworth appointment. We've now got a proper, experienced winner in one of the key positions yet he's only actually been there a few months.

This season, we're likely to either go up (least likely option) or we'll make the play offs or just miss out. That is progression. It may not feel like it or be as much progression as some would expect, but it's still progression. And it will be our best finishing position (relative to the leauge we're in) for nearly 20 years. This is all stuff to build from, not to be absolutely furious about. That's the bit I don't get - how many people just seem to be in a permanent state of fury about it all. I'm frustrated as anyone else when we have an inexplicable bad game, usually after a good one, but if you were to have said to me in the summer of 2022 that our first season would see us mid table, our second season would see us in or around the play offs and that we'd be going into the third season with a multiple promotion winning manager a few months into the job and some of the top players we have in the squad, then I'd have been thinking that would be a decent rate of progess. What that means on a match to match basis though is a level of inconsistency until we're a team that's pushing for the title. It means drawing or losing games we should be winning. It means players having off days. We've had too many of those recently, but it doesn't mean the whole club has gone to shit.

Unfortunately, turning around a business is not as easy as just injecting some cash, or playing 442, or putting a youth player in the team. I don't expect us to be winning the league by March next season, but I expect us to be consistently top 3. That'd be more progress.

Top, top post as somebody previously said.

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

😂 yep I can think of far more pressing issues than our 17 goal striker not scoring enough solo dribbles from halfway. 

I mean the fact we have to play a centre back at right back, two central midfield players on the wing, and our central midfield partnership having 0 creativity and scared of the ball is a non issue. 

James Norwood needs to score every game or go back to Barnsley. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

It's interesting you use that example. One I like to use is this, given the successful business Frank has built and as an example, he may well have the best sales person in the game but a real shortage of drivers to deliver his cabins, do you think as a business they'd bring someone else in on the sales team, he's a great lad and a top seller he just wants a move nearer to his roots in the North West, he's expensive as well and will eat in to that transport budget leaving little to fill the positions needed. It's never going to happen is it in any other walk of life, money just isn't going to be squandered like that yet we seem to be hemorrhaging it at an alarming rate of knots, now that doesn't affect me directly but it makes no sense at all on any level. Chesterfield as the example have a very balanced squad players like Colclough and Berry were brought in to compliment players they already had and they recruited in key areas - not because someone was too good to turn down, we've got to be smarter because as a business we are behaving dumb and that unfortunately is half the problem. 

How long have Chesterfield spent in the NL?

Things that need sorting. 

A right back. 

Competition for Kitch. 

Signing some wingers. 

Having a consistent style of play. 

Playing to a tempo for 90 minutes. 

Passing to a team mate 10 yards away. 

Things that don’t need sorting. 

Identifying our top goal scorer as a major issue. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I mean the fact we have to play a centre back at right back, two central midfield players on the wing,  

I'm not sure that we 'have to play' these players in the positions though....Sachdev was signed as a right back and is fit for example. 

18 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I'm not sure that we 'have to play' these players in the positions though....Sachdev was signed as a right back and is fit for example. 

He’s also only ever played 5 professional games and is clearly not seen as the solution. 

Just watched the highlights. Think the criticism of Norwood’s header chance is harsh. Keeper does well to save it.

There’s a moment when we have a 3 on 2 break with Dallas leading the charge. He has Walker to his left and Norwood to his right. If Dallas runs with the ball and commits defenders, he can slip in a teammate or have a clear chance himself. Instead, he shits himself and plays a terrible pass to Norwood forcing him ridiculously wide. It’s moments like that where we need to show much better composure and decision making. 

Norwood was also just behind Fondop for his late chance. Reckon he would’ve smashed it home if Mikey wasn’t there. His reaction after the ball was cleared looked like a man who clearly cared and was very frustrated.

12 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

He’s also only ever played 5 professional games and is clearly not seen as the solution. 

So was he signed without being scouted and if so what was the point?

Surely there are suitably experienced full backs available who can’t get a game in league 1 or 2.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Just watched the highlights. Think the criticism of Norwood’s header chance is harsh. Keeper does well to save it.

There’s a moment when we have a 3 on 2 break with Dallas leading the charge. He has Walker to his left and Norwood to his right. If Dallas runs with the ball and commits defenders, he can slip in a teammate or have a clear chance himself. Instead, he shits himself and plays a terrible pass to Norwood forcing him ridiculously wide. It’s moments like that where we need to show much better composure and decision making. 

Norwood was also just behind Fondop for his late chance. Reckon he would’ve smashed it home if Mikey wasn’t there. His reaction after the ball was cleared looked like a man who clearly cared and was very frustrated.

Dallas did my nut in on Saturday with his sloppy passing as described above.

13 hours ago, League one forever said:

Things that need sorting. 

A right back. 

Competition for Kitch. 

Signing some wingers. 

Having a consistent style of play. 

Playing to a tempo for 90 minutes. 

Passing to a team mate 10 yards away. 

Things that don’t need sorting. 

Identifying our top goal scorer as a major issue. 

Good list. I'd add pace. When Green starts it stretches the opposition, creates space for team mates and put doubt into the minds of the opposition. Hammond is noticeably quicker than any of our other midfielders and it's really, really useful.

And athletes, players that can get up and down, not enough runners in the current squad.

41 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

So was he signed without being scouted and if so what was the point?

Surely there are suitably experienced full backs available who can’t get a game in league 1 or 2.

To be honest, I don’t know why we are making a shambles of the right back situation. It’s not that hard to find a competent right back. 

Sachdev was a panic loan, nothing more. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Dallas did my nut in on Saturday with his sloppy passing as described above.

His first touch is invariably a pass, I still like him though when he's stretching defences, him and Norwood works as a pairing if the midfield support and the defence play 15 yards further up the pitch as they did at home to Chesterfield. If they are going to sit in you may as well just lump it up to Fondop and Garner to runaround for.

23 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

To be honest, I don’t know why we are making a shambles of the right back situation. It’s not that hard to find a competent right back. 

Sachdev was a panic loan, nothing more. 

They should have continued to look until they found one or put it out to all these contact we are in the market for one.

Freeman should have been the one but his heart wasn't in it.

One of the priorities for me in the summer.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

They should have continued to look until they found one or put it out to all these contact we are in the market for one.

Freeman should have been the one but his heart wasn't in it.

One of the priorities for me in the summer.

Close to number one, six players used at RB this season, years since we last had a competent player in the position.

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I'm not sure which thread it belongs on, but the goalscoring return from our defenders is pitiful. I think Hogan is the only one to have chipped in this season and he's only got one...

This is another big issue I feel. The spreading of goals around the team. Considering we play with so many CBs, to only have Hogan scoring 1 League goal this season is a dreadful stat, considering the aerial power we should have from corners & freekicks.

Out of all the teams in the top ten, only two have lost less games than us. But no team has drawn more. Nicking a few more games with goals from corners, set pieces would put us where we want to be. In the play-offs. It looks like we will fall short, but we should easily be in the top 7 with some small improvements. 

Shelton has been bombed out of the squad, but at least he chipped in with the odd goal. He’s even scored a league goal this season having barely played. That’s one more league goal than Raglan, Sutton, Hobson, McGahey, Freeman, Kitching, Sachdev, Lundstrum, Conlan, Hammond, Dallas, Walker & Willoughby combined!!

And who knows how many more goals Dickenson might’ve added (or assisted). A couple more goals, turning draws into wins, and we’d still be looking good for a playoff spot. Yet we chose to get rid off a proven source of goals.

• Like 1