MATCH: AFC Fylde (H) 29/03/24

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I think I've spotted why we are underperforming.

After going down to 10 men the players unleashed the shackles and played the they wanted, not Mellon and Brabin's.

Gardner and Dallas were prime examples.

This indicated to me the players don't like being pressured to play a style of football they dislike. 

Mellon and Brabin must give the players freedom to express themselves or IMO things will get worse 

Sounds like players who only started playing once the game was lost to me

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Easy to play when you are already losing 3-0, can’t get much worse. It’s the balls to play that aggressive when the game kicks off which shows a decent side. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I think certain players played the way they wanted not as regimented.

After down a man Dallas played a free number 10 role similar to Haughton of Fylde and no is telling me that was on the instructions of MM.

Dallas should be given that role in future and Gardner relished his central attacking so keep  him there.

14 hours ago, rudemedic said:

You did but today's ref wasn't the one who was originally announced.

Robert Massey-Ellis replaced Andrew Miller.

He is a bit card happy too, as was obvious today. Don't recall him being that card happy when he reffed our game at Barnet last season.

A Google search will bring up his twitter. Still public...

😂😂. Brilliant. I told you so 😩

all these refs in this league are sub par and spoil the match week with b ween out. 

Are we surprised?  That kick off must have been premeditated and my heart sank - more hoof ball.

The team appears to be where they were with Rhino just playing in a style that they don't like and can't be arsed.

Not a good time to put 25% on my season card with players and manager anxious to get to the end of the season for all the wrong reasons.

34 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I think certain players played the way they wanted not as regimented.

After down a man Dallas played a free number 10 role similar to Haughton of Fylde and no is telling me that was on the instructions of MM.

Dallas should be given that role in future and Gardner relished his central attacking so keep  him there.

Agree with you and your original point and thought it was actually before the sending off. 

I know it is easier to play when the opposition back off (which they did) but first half (as most games) there is no intention to play football.  

Defenders don’t go wide or come short to receive the ball, Hudson slows it down, everyone disappears up the pitch and there is the inevitable hoof forward.  That didn’t happen from half time. 

I’m convinced it is Mellons tactics, and whoever plays in midfield is inevitably going to look awful as the ball spends all its time sailing over their head. 

They are professional footballers, they are perfectly capable of passing a ball. Gardner & Conlon played most of their careers at much higher levels. Lundstram played in an Altrincham team that move the ball.   Hammond has been at Forest since he was 8 (or something) don’t accept they can’t play football properly. 

• Like 1

When Fondop went off and Garner we no longer had the target man to pump it up to so had to look for an alternative, whether that was just coincidence who knows but we certainly played more football with 10 men than we did before.

Another telling factor was the players then took it upon themselves to find space and make themselves available and upped their work rate. It could be argued that Fylde allowed that but who knows. It was certainly better on the eye and looked like the way we played against Chesterfield for large parts.

Most worrying for me is how teams just break on us it's been a feature all season when teams are happy to pour forward because they know we have the slowest goalkeeper bar none when an attack breaks down. Yesterday Norwood was screaming at times one on one or we had an overload but Hudson just lacks the awareness to see it, he's never played out his whole life because he doesn't understand the game of football at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

After going down to 10 men the players unleashed the shackles and played the they wanted, not Mellon and Brabin's.

This indicated to me the players don't like being pressured to play a style of football they dislike. 

Mellon and Brabin must give the players freedom to express themselves or IMO things will get worse 

You may have a point there, BP.
Didn't Sheridan tell them to just go out and play?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Wardie said:

You may have a point there, BP.
Didn't Sheridan tell them to just go out and play?

And lost 10 in 12 as we limped out of the Football League.

As for yesterday, it was pitiful. Some of the players should take a long, hard look at themselves, but yesterday is on Mellon. Still only 4 points off the playoffs and a win on Monday changes everything. Long way to go...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I will never ever take anything positive from professional footballers employed by oldham athletic being able to string a few passes together and create some half chances when they are 3-1 down to Fylde.

our fans really need to start applying an appreciation of context when assessing performance.

see chesterfield two weeks ago. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

😂😂. Brilliant. I told you so 😩

all these refs in this league are sub par and spoil the match week with b ween out. 

Easy for you to say 😂

9 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

I will never ever take anything positive from professional footballers employed by oldham athletic being able to string a few passes together and create some half chances when they are 3-1 down to Fylde.

our fans really need to start applying an appreciation of context when assessing performance.

see chesterfield two weeks ago. 

Common theme in examples of ‘improved’ performances - we are the under dog. A free hit as they say. See wrexham at home last season, chesterfield 2 weeks ago, even second half against Fylde (free hit as we were 3-1 down and the pressure was off).

It’s probably what kept us in league 1 for so long. We raised our game as one of the smaller clubs in the division. 

but there aren’t many games where we are under dogs now. It’s why we plummeted out of l2 fairly quickly. 

what do I deduce from this? Well it’s certainly not that the players are capable. I don’t believe putting in a couple of good performances now and then is an indicator of potential or capability. I smack it down the fairway relatively frequently. If I shoot 90 I have done well. 

Characterise it how you like but this team is not good enough. 

2 hours ago, Theoutsider said:

Agree with you and your original point and thought it was actually before the sending off. 

I know it is easier to play when the opposition back off (which they did) but first half (as most games) there is no intention to play football.  

Defenders don’t go wide or come short to receive the ball, Hudson slows it down, everyone disappears up the pitch and there is the inevitable hoof forward.  That didn’t happen from half time. 

I’m convinced it is Mellons tactics, and whoever plays in midfield is inevitably going to look awful as the ball spends all its time sailing over their head. 

They are professional footballers, they are perfectly capable of passing a ball. Gardner & Conlon played most of their careers at much higher levels. Lundstram played in an Altrincham team that move the ball.   Hammond has been at Forest since he was 8 (or something) don’t accept they can’t play football properly. 

Good post. 

People need to ask themselves why is it- that 90% of the squad have played higher and yet collectively all look so poor. 

They did not sign for Oldham and suddenly, magically become shit. 

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Good post. 

People need to ask themselves why is it- that 90% of the squad have played higher and yet collectively all look so poor. 

They did not sign for Oldham and suddenly, magically become shit. 

Why did we play football against chesterfield? Did Mellon change the tactics and set up? 

6 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Why did we play football against chesterfield? Did Mellon change the tactics and set up? 

Why Did Raglan win the league two title? 
Why did Kitch and Hogan win the national league title? 
Why did Lundy win player of the season? 
Why did Conlon win the league two title? 
Why did Garner win promotion to league one? 
Why has Norwood been prolific all his career?
Why has Dallas got a move to league one? 
Why has, Sheron, Magehy, Gardner, Fondop, all played higher? 

Maybe they were all really lucky elsewhere and just decided to all club together to be as shit as each other with us. 

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Why Did Raglan win the league two title? 
Why did Kitch and Hogan win the national league title? 
Why did Lundy win player of the season? 
Why did Conlon win the league two title? 
Why did Garner win promotion to league one? 
Why has Norwood been prolific all his career?
Why has Dallas got a move to league one? 
Why has, Sheron, Magehy, Gardner, Fondop, all played higher? 

Maybe they were all really lucky elsewhere and just decided to all club together to be as shit as each other with us. 

Be nice if you answered the question. Never mind. 

32 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Be nice if you answered the question. Never mind. 

😂😂

If you want everyone to agree with you- just say so. I countered your question with my own, because I don’t agree with you.  That’s the nature of debate. 

If you believe several individual title winning/promotion winning/played higher players are all now shit, and can only play against chesterfield and the like then that’s fine. But their careers clearly demonstrate otherwise. Maybe they played in teams that suited their game, maybe they didn’t get rotated after playing well, maybe they played in their proper position consistently. Maybe they built consistent little partnership’s with their teammates.  You complete dismiss players without looking at the many nuances that contribute to their form.

Players reflect their manager and at the minute every player looks lost, and half arsed. That isn’t form or they’re suddenly shit.

Yeaterday is perfect example. The midfield was awful for the first 30 minutes, why? Because the tactics completed bypassed them- they got no foothold in the game, and gave the impetus to Flyde. That has nothing to do with them being shit- that’s tactics. The strikers looked completely ineffective- why? Because the only service was high balls to two midgets. That’s not them being shit or not being able to jump. It’s tactics. We go 3 down and fighting for a bit pride they stop lumping it- played a bit and got a goal back. That’s proves they can play. They then go down to ten men and still look the better side. 

There is a reason why they all come with a reputation and don’t do it, and it’s not because they were good, and they’re now shit. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

😂😂

If you want everyone to agree with you- just say so. I countered your question with my own, because I don’t agree with you.  That’s the nature of debate. 

If you believe several individual title winning/promotion winning/played higher players are all now shit, and can only play against chesterfield and the like then that’s fine. But their careers clearly demonstrate otherwise. Maybe they played in teams that suited their game, maybe they didn’t get rotated after playing well, maybe they played in their proper position consistently. Maybe they built consistent little partnership’s with their teammates.  You complete dismiss players without looking at the many nuances that contribute to their form.

Players reflect their manager and at the minute every player looks lost, and half arsed. That isn’t form or they’re suddenly shit.

Yeaterday is perfect example. The midfield was awful for the first 30 minutes, why? Because the tactics completed bypassed them- they got no foothold in the game, and gave the impetus to Flyde. That has nothing to do with them being shit- that’s tactics. The strikers looked completely ineffective- why? Because the only service was high balls to two midgets. That’s not them being shit or not being able to jump. It’s tactics. We go 3 down and fighting for a bit pride they stop lumping it- played a bit and got a goal back. That’s proves they can play. They then go down to ten men and still look the better side. 

There is a reason why they all come with a reputation and don’t do it, and it’s not because they were good, and they’re now shit. 

That’s a long time you have just spent on the bog. 

just after an answer sweety 

22 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

That ref was as bad as you'll ever see, he was totally incompetent but what can we do about that? He was determined to make it about him. I can honestly say it's the first time I've seen a player getting sent off for being fouled and their keeper should of gone for a blatant handball 10 yards outside his area that prevented a goal scoring opportunity. He also missed so many decisions it was actually embarrassing and he looked genuinely out of his depth.

Saying that I'm not making any excuse for the way we set up and played Fylde more than deserved their victory. 

Apparently the "handball" decision was correct cos it hit the keepers' leg first. That's the law supposedly...