MATCH: Rochdale (H) 06/04/24

5 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Don’t watch it…..FFS!!!

To be fair I think he's being honest. OK it smacks of resigned to our fate this season and that it's ended in failure. I blame this crop of players far more the Mellon and with that view, I want him to have the next season minimum to try shift out the players he knows he needs to and recruit. His record is sound and believe he'll turn OAFC with Frank and Co around.

Edited by Lags
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

Absolutely!! I’m also really not sure I would want Mellon to be the man orchestrating it either. He doesn’t look happy at all as he has probably now realised  the size of his task!

The next close season is absolutely crucial and may well define our fortunes for the foreseeable.
As you say our recruitment needs to be damn near spot on!!

A younger more forward thinking coach would be my preference but I have no idea who that might be!

The youth team coach is totally opposite, brimming with confidence and affabilty which I saw rub off on the team. He has a great future so hope he doesn't move on.

MM should bring him into the first team set up.

He's managing some as young as 15yo playing against 18yo's and the encouragement is great to see.

• Like 1

People are reading way too much into this MM interview. The recruitment has been absolutely shite, majority of which was before he came in. He tried to make signings but it’s clear with the 30+ players we have he has limited resources to change things. He’s signed some absolute dross, or players not fit, due to the budget constraints which isn’t his issue. 

The squad is so unbalanced and we can’t play a system which doesn’t result in 3/4 players either being out of position, or simply not good enough. 

We are going to have a core of about 15/17 players going into next season. We will have the ability and resources to sign 5/6 quality players.

The majority of these players are good enough, we just need some pace, creativity and a clear system. 

The players we have has let him down, along with the board and recruitment strategy, he probably is pissed off. 

• Like 3

For the first time in yonks, I will not be there today. This season has ground me down

Piss poor style of play, less than average players, shocking home record( the bottom 2 have both won as many at home as we have ). And a general apathy about the club that is worrying.  Surely after the Rothwells takeover, and the money thrown at it , it should be way better than it is .

Because of the style of play, and subsequent poor home results, the atmosphere inside BP is pitiful and the Athleticos have been for the most part of the season very quiet, with nothing at all to shout about. Time after time, the only noise is from 200 or so away fans. 

Two managers, neither of which has put an exciting brand of football on the pitch.  With lots of players arriving but making no, or little difference to the product on the grass. 

Off the pitch, things have been better than for many years, yet in 2 seasons, with managers coming and going at regular intervals, the football we have played has been bloody awful.

The mass euphoria at the beginning of the Rothwells arrival, and the carnival atmosphere at our first home game against Dorking in this god awful league has long gone. And no doubt season ticket sales will reflect this.

My take on the remedy !!!! football in this league is for young fellas. Both on the sidelines, and on the pitch.  All the teams that we have seen this season, most of whom have run rings round us, seem to be teams of young fellas, that are fit, well organized and keen to make their way up the football pyramid. And not old fellas looking for a final pay day at the end of their career. 

Edited by 100milesaway
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Aye. First game for ages I’m not bothering with. 

I’ll be there… but I won’t stay beyond half time if it’s another shit show. Never even thought about that before. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

People are reading way too much into this MM interview. The recruitment has been absolutely shite, majority of which was before he came in. He tried to make signings but it’s clear with the 30+ players we have he has limited resources to change things. He’s signed some absolute dross, or players not fit, due to the budget constraints which isn’t his issue. 

The squad is so unbalanced and we can’t play a system which doesn’t result in 3/4 players either being out of position, or simply not good enough. 

We are going to have a core of about 15/17 players going into next season. We will have the ability and resources to sign 5/6 quality players.

The majority of these players are good enough, we just need some pace, creativity and a clear system. 

The players we have has let him down, along with the board and recruitment strategy, he probably is pissed off. 

The recruitment has been shite but the players are good enough?

16 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

The recruitment has been shite but the players are good enough?

Well yes, I think individually the players are good enough, with some exceptions. But like I said in my post, we have suffered from a poor recruitment strategy and lack of any plan. 

Is that okay mush ? Can you get your little head around that concept ? 

Edited by LightDN123

28 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Aye. First game for ages I’m not bothering with. 

25 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

For the first time in yonks, I will not be there today. This season has ground me down

Was supposed to be going with 3 others who haven't been for a while. We all decided not to buy tickets after recent results/performances. Apathy has set in, as well as not liking a 12.30 kick off.

16 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Hes Scottish he's naturally dour alot of dour Scots become good football managers.

I like Mellon, but I do remember thinking something similar about Graeme Sharp...

6 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Well yes, I think individually the players are good enough, with some exceptions. But like I said in my post, we have suffered from a poor recruitment strategy and lack of any plan. 

Is that okay mush ? Can you get your little head around that concept ? 

Bit of a head scratcher given you are also trying to absolve Mellon of any blame, not sure all three points can co-exist.

6 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

We've gone from naming four strikers on the bench to naming none...

This fucking club, about a dozen under contract and they've all disappeared. 

Most of our strikers, are either frozen out or loaned out. 

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

Dreading this. 

Got absolutely no strong opinion.  I can't be arsed driving to it, so am opting for NLTV and saving the 2 hours round trip.

Got equally neutral opinion about Rochdale.  They're like the second cousin twice removed who lives up the road, has had a rough ride of things and you feel a bit sorry for but wouldn't make any other effort to engage with other than a nod if you saw them in the street...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Bit of a head scratcher given you are also trying to absolve Mellon of any blame, not sure all three points can co-exist.

Cool. 

Bet you have the lube out praying for another Mellon loss today don’t you.