Darren Royle Interview

Going off topic here a little but I've just seen Bayer Leverkusen who are now 49 games unbeaten and are going for a historic treble and going a whole season unbeaten its quite incredible. They aren't owned by an oil state attempting to sports wash and The population of Leverkusen is 163000 the population of Oldham is 235000.

I know the dynamics are very different between Oldham Athletic and Bayer Leverkusen but it does show that if you get alot of things right then even today you can punch significantly above your own weight.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Going off topic here a little but I've just seen Bayer Leverkusen who are now 49 games unbeaten and are going for a historic treble and going a whole season unbeaten its quite incredible. They aren't owned by an oil state attempting to sports wash and The population of Leverkusen is 163000 the population of Oldham is 235000.

I know the dynamics are very different between Oldham Athletic and Bayer Leverkusen but it does show that if you get alot of things right then even today you can punch significantly above your own weight.

Sorry,  oldham and Leverkusan football clubs are nothing alike regardless of the populations.  OK we used to have a bandage company whilst Leverkusen have the mighty Bayer company.  Plus the later are wholly owned by the giant. The populations are irrelevant. 

Edited by Lags

7 hours ago, Lags said:

Sorry,  oldham and Leverkusan football clubs are nothing alike regardless of the populations.  OK we used to have a bandage company whilst Leverkusen have the mighty Bayer company.  Plus the later are wholly owned by the giant. The populations are irrelevant. 

Oh I know we are nothing a like we will never achieve what they have done this season but they are punching way above their weight and we should take inspiration from any team that does. I think the population of the town or city a team comes into it as its an indicator of your potential support.

4 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Oh I know we are nothing a like we will never achieve what they have done this season but they are punching way above their weight and we should take inspiration from any team that does. I think the population of the town or city a team comes into it as its an indicator of your potential support.

Agreed there,  if we ever get up to the dizzy heights of the championship we certainly will be punching. That said I can remember very well Latics being the longest serving 2nd division club by a long long way back in the day. 

Currently I take inspiration and hopes from Luton Town who I hope we can mirror.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Aren’t they owned by Bayer, the multinational big pharma company with a market cap of about £30billion? Bayer also own other football and sporting clubs in Germany.

If Oldham was owned by Astra Zeneca or Glaxo Smith Kline then there would be similarities. “GSK Oldham”… I like it! 

edit. Apologies. Someone beat me to it. 

Edited by kowenicki

51 minutes ago, Lags said:

Agreed there,  if we ever get up to the dizzy heights of the championship we certainly will be punching. That said I can remember very well Latics being the longest serving 2nd division club by a long long way back in the day. 

Currently I take inspiration and hopes from Luton Town who I hope we can mirror.

All the clubs that have challenged the status quo at the top in the last 15 years are southern. Luton, Bournemouth, Brighton, Brentford. It’s no coincidence 

1 minute ago, AndyB2 said:

All the clubs that have challenged the status quo at the top in the last 15 years are southern. Luton, Bournemouth, Brighton, Brentford. It’s no coincidence 

Wigan? Leicester? I agree with what you are referring to, that southern based clubs seem to be attractive from an investment point of view but it's not impossible. Pointless us even considering anything further than getting back in the EFL at this point though.

With regards to the Royle interview, it would have been nice to hear what mistakes the board owned and also the most important part was completely missed out regarding budget which Mellon said was used up. He could have put a lot of fans at ease by saying the budget would remain the same for the forthcoming season but it obviously needed some wheeling and dealing which most people would understand. A lot of sound bites but nothing really of substance imo.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Wigan? Leicester? I agree with what you are referring to, that southern based clubs seem to be attractive from an investment point of view but it's not impossible. Pointless us even considering anything further than getting back in the EFL at this point though.

It’s not impossible.

Wigan are an exception

leicester briefly disrupted the top of the prem but for the vast majority of seasons over the last 20 years have been somewhere close to their natural level. 

It’s also no coincidence that in the context of greater Manchester we see alty and Stockport making good progress where as over in north Manchester….

12 minutes ago, PeteG said:

With regards to the Royle interview, it would have been nice to hear what mistakes the board owned and also the most important part was completely missed out regarding budget which Mellon said was used up. He could have put a lot of fans at ease by saying the budget would remain the same for the forthcoming season but it obviously needed some wheeling and dealing which most people would understand. A lot of sound bites but nothing really of substance imo.

It would have been nice yes.

i suggest you listen to what he doesn’t say as much as what he does say. 

43 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

It’s not impossible.

Wigan are an exception

leicester briefly disrupted the top of the prem but for the vast majority of seasons over the last 20 years have been somewhere close to their natural level. 

It’s also no coincidence that in the context of greater Manchester we see alty and Stockport making good progress where as over in north Manchester….

Burnley?

You seem to be trying too hard to find reasons why we can't be successful.  Lets deal with what we can control first.

4 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Burnley?

You seem to be trying too hard to find reasons why we can't be successful.  Lets deal with what we can control first.

You control nothing. I also control nothing. 

it’s an observation on a message board and a trend I find to be of interest. It’s not even about Latics. 

I will post what I like big boy.

Ok? Great 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

You control nothing. I also control nothing. 

it’s an observation on a message board and a trend I find to be of interest. It’s not even about Latics. 

I will post what I like big boy.

Ok? Great 

😂

And I'll reply what I like. 

"Big Boy!"

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JoeP said:

😂

And I'll reply what I like. 

"Big Boy!"

I’d be pleased to receive your response and invite open debate in any form. Please forgive me if I implied otherwise. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PeteG said:

https://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/sport/24308823.royle-assurance-next-seasons-oldham-athletic-budget/

DR says the budget remains the same for the upcoming season and incomings don't necessarily rely on any outgoings. So, who is telling porkies? Mellon or Royle?

Proof will be in the pudding, saying that the budget may well have changed on the back of Mellon's interview.

Regardless it's done with now and probably needs parking, my feeling is there have been some clear the air meetings at board/managerial level and on the back of that Mellon is going to be trusted to deliver what he's good at and that is securing promotions, whether anyone thinks Mellon is the man or not is probably irrelevant now he's the man whose been trusted to take us forward and any reasonable Latics fan will and should give him the backing he deserves.

I'm happy Darren has come out and spoken, he should probably do one of those chats every three months on the Official as I feel it keeps the customer engaged and that is half the battle, for those knocking it and over analysing it's a shame you didn't show similar concerns when we had absolute frauds in the house - ably abetted by skid marks like shitpeas but hey ho those types thrived on us failing.

Hopefully this can be our season and I'm sure Micky and his team are already putting the plan together for it leaving no stone unturned, we have nobody to fear next season and if we somehow stick together we could have a real good go, here's hoping.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, PeteG said:

https://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/sport/24308823.royle-assurance-next-seasons-oldham-athletic-budget/

DR says the budget remains the same for the upcoming season and incomings don't necessarily rely on any outgoings. So, who is telling porkies? Mellon or Royle?

Perhaps Frank has recently written a £1million cheque?

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Possibly neither.

We have 18/19 players under contract so presuming the squad will be about 23/24 then DR is right that there could still be incoming.

If, as MM suggests, "major surgery"  is needed, then that implies that considerable outgoings are needed to create more room.

Either way you don't want to be indicating to rivals that you are desperate to move players on cos you are skint.

I suspect that the board have decided to go for it again and will back the manager to wheel and deal - within limits.

Edited by Boyyou

2 hours ago, PeteG said:

It's entirely possible that both are the case as there have already been outgoings

Good interview from Darren. I don't mind these from time to time. It's all that's required. We don't need deep details, we just need to be reminded from time to time that good hands are at the wheel. They care, the Rothwells care, and sometimes you forget Darren's a fan as much as any of us are. 

I know some comments in this thread are wanting him to specifically state the mistakes he takes ownership for but it's not neccessary. He mentioned growth strategy or something which translates as no harbouring blame and just focus on what they can do better next time. Couldn't agree more with this point, we all make mistakes in life and DR has the lions share of the most difficult decisions at the club. I'll be forever grateful for him bringing the Rothwell family - one with no real football nous - to the club. He'll always be cut an extra amount of slack for that reason alone.

Re-energised already for the new season.

• Like 14