Mark Oxley

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still not knowingly off his line at corners etc. but fair play not a bad showing.

As much as he has improved, his reluctance to leave the 6yd box still has me worried. Look at the Wolves keeper last night, he attacked most balls into the 18yd area. But you gets what you pay for.

I reckon Oxley's under instructions to stay on his line if there are defenders back.

Obviously if this is true the people who are telling him this know far more about football than I ever will. But it frustrates the f**k out of me when I see him rooted to his line when the best option in my eyes would be to attack the ball. I work in engineering so I suppose that says it all (and as a amateur footballer I was mediocre at best)

Obviously if this is true the people who are telling him this know far more about football than I ever will. But it frustrates the f**k out of me when I see him rooted to his line when the best option in my eyes would be to attack the ball. I work in engineering so I suppose that says it all (and as a amateur footballer I was mediocre at best)

My goalkeeping days are long behind me.

But get it and catch it was how I was raised!

Because he doesn't we often end up defending the same attack twice. A keeper catching the ball takes the sting out of the opposition every time.

#amf as Harry would say

It's obviously a training thing. Look around the leagues and you'll see the same at most games.

It is strange to me though; again - at the risk of sounding all "i remember when all this was trees" - i was brought up in an age when a Keeper came and claimed anything & everything.

My goalkeeping days are long behind me.

But get it and catch it was how I was raised!

Because he doesn't we often end up defending the same attack twice. A keeper catching the ball takes the sting out of the opposition every time.

#amf as Harry would say

It's obviously a training thing. Look around the leagues and you'll see the same at most games.

It is strange to me though; again - at the risk of sounding all "i remember when all this was trees" - i was brought up in an age when a Keeper came and claimed anything & everything.

Exactly. If he's being coached to stay on his line i'm mystified. I remember when keepers were keepers. They came and took everything. They were fearsome. See Peter Schmeichel, Neville Southall and even Bobby Mimms. I'm not suggesting Oxley goes all Kamikaze like Greg Flemming but he really does need to start commanding his area a lot better.

Having said that, thought he was excellent last night. There was one save "for the camera's" that made me chuckle though.

I've not seen The Ox as much as many of you, but he does seem to be improving with each game. It does surprise me, though, that he rarely ventures beyond the six yard box.

Although it's many years ago, I was always expected to go up for anything in the penalty area and take a few with you if you have to. Even if they're on your side. Maybe, as others have said, goalkeeping has changed over the years.

He's no Pogs or Gary Kelly, but he is a decent keeper.

On a side note, and you could pretty much start a new thread about this, he won't be with us next season, so do we delve into the transfer market or rely on the youngsters / Rachubka if he signs another contract?

I've not seen The Ox as much as many of you, but he does seem to be improving with each game. It does surprise me, though, that he rarely ventures beyond the six yard box.

Although it's many years ago, I was always expected to go up for anything in the penalty area and take a few with you if you have to. Even if they're on your side. Maybe, as others have said, goalkeeping has changed over the years.

He's no Pogs or Gary Kelly, but he is a decent keeper.

On a side note, and you could pretty much start a new thread about this, he won't be with us next season, so do we delve into the transfer market or rely on the youngsters / Rachubka if he signs another contract?

Are you Peter McDonnell ?

I'd rather a keeper stay on his line and let his defenders deal with it than have an erratic keeper who comes, flaps, gets in the way and concedes woeful goals.

As I said a while back (when the bizarre clamour for Rachumpka to be our custodian was in full swing), Ox is a very good keeper at our level and will play most of his career in The Championship...

No, but I remember him well. Wasn't he known as Barabbas because of his beard? Took goal kicks right footed and cleared left footed from his hands.

Yes, and when taking crosses early in the game he kneed opposing attackers where it hurts, he always took crosses unopposed after that,

Edited by BP1960

I see Hull have recalled a keeper from a loan at Orient. Suggest Oxley is way down the pecking list - should we be making this permanent?

Oxley is way down the pecking order for the Premier League Hull, (essentially he is 4th choice). However, if Hull were in the Championship, I think that instead of signing Harper when MacGregor was injured earlier in the season, they'd have recalled Oxley. The bloke they recalled from Orient is a full Swiss international, I'd guess they let him go on loan because he is third choice and it was only for a month.

Coincidentally Hull signed that bloke from Aris, where Bouzy had just spent a presumably unhappy 6 months before returning to the UK.

I can see Hull letting us loan Oxley again next season, especially for the first 6 months, provided they stay in the Premiership which looks quite likely.

Oxley is way down the pecking order for the Premier League Hull, (essentially he is 4th choice). However, if Hull were in the Championship, I think that instead of signing Harper when MacGregor was injured earlier in the season, they'd have recalled Oxley. The bloke they recalled from Orient is a full Swiss international, I'd guess they let him go on loan because he is third choice and it was only for a month.

Coincidentally Hull signed that bloke from Aris, where Bouzy had just spent a presumably unhappy 6 months before returning to the UK.

I can see Hull letting us loan Oxley again next season, especially for the first 6 months, provided they stay in the Premiership which looks quite likely.

If Oxley goes I wouldn't mind a move for the Man City U21 keeper Lawlor.

Here's the article.....

OLDHAM Athletic last night tabled a £30,000 offer for Hearts keeper Jamie MacDonald. Its understood the Latics are now awaiting a response from Hearts ahead of tomorrows transfer deadline.Jambos boss Gary Locke will be desperate to keep MacDonald, especially with Sundays League Cup semi-final against Inverness looming, and after his side notched a second league win in a row courtesy of Jamie Hamills penalty.MacDonald, who took a wage cut to bail out Hearts when they went into administration, is out of contract in the summer and can leave for free then. However, Oldham boss Lee Johnson, a former Hearts team-mate of MacDonald, is keen to take the Tynecastle No 1 to Boundary Park this month.

Edited by oafc1955

I'd rather a keeper stay on his line and let his defenders deal with it than have an erratic keeper who comes, flaps, gets in the way and concedes woeful goals.

As I said a while back (when the bizarre clamour for Rachumpka to be our custodian was in full swing), Ox is a very good keeper at our level and will play most of his career in The Championship...

I wonder how many of Oxley's critics liked Pogs?