Taylor Signs

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Similar to Philliskirk, Taylor wearing a Latics shirt feels right. There would be a sense of regret if he wasn't to don it next season, no matter the level of performance he's maintained.

That being said, he's we've got scarce resources, and I'd imagine the wage that Tope will demand would pale in comparison to Taylor's, despite that not reflecting in their impacts. We also have Flynn contracted and hopefully McLaughlin too.

Assuming we keep the bulk of the squad, we're still going to need a left-back, a keeper, another midfielder and a striker...

2 hours ago, Stagger Lee said:

And a pitch

Boring, but expensive and very important

Why are we bothered about a new pitch?

We've been doing well on it. Other teams don't like it. If I had a choice between an advantage that seems to be helping us win games or something pretty to look at, I'd take the wins.

24 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Why are we bothered about a new pitch?

We've been doing well on it. Other teams don't like it. If I had a choice between an advantage that seems to be helping us win games or something pretty to look at, I'd take the wins.

How's about a reasonable surface with a few decent players on it, that's what most clubs tend to strive for. 

Guest davidshaw

Despite the constant feeds from the doomongers, evidence suggests that, at long last, the building blocks are being put in place for a concerted effort at seeking success instead of just languishing in the lower levels of this division. I think a new pitch needs to be intrinsic in that process. With the price of football nowadays, it should be a given that supporters of both sides are able to watch a good game on a decent playing surface. I accept that maybe the pitch has been advantageous to us in our current plight (although I tend to think Sheridan has just made us far more effective at home) but football clubs surely have a duty to provide a decent playing surface?  

How long before a player "turns" an ankle and is badly injured as a result on our surface? We should have no fears with a new pitch - Sheridan will shape his squad and get his teams playing attractive, free flowing football - allied with wins, that will start to bring the much needed home support back to BP.

On 11/04/2017 at 10:54 AM, welshgaz said:

I thought the pitch looked much improved on Saturday, still not great of course 

Well I have had to cut my lawn a couple of times, so it makes sense that it should improve a bit.

Still complete crap though.

On 11/04/2017 at 10:54 AM, welshgaz said:

I thought the pitch looked much improved on Saturday, still not great of course 

I'm amazed at how well it's coped considering the lack of work that was done on it last summer (reliably informed only seeding took place rather than the restoration work required.) However, we've been fortunate not to have a particularly bad winter. They could (and I expect they will) take the same (cheap) option this summer and hope for a similar outcome.

As for Taylor, he's done the job asked of him as far as I'm concerned. We wouldn't be as close to winning this relegation battle had he not been in the team. And with a few more bodies who know what they're doing, he will be able to concentrate more on attacking teams than this grinding it out, holding it up the pitch job he's doing at present. I'd keep him if we can afford to.

Chris Taylor raises a point that myself and my brother have been discussing for a while

He has a 5 year old son who all of a sudden has decided that he only wants to wear a Latics shirt and his favourite player is Lee Erwin. My response is you have to steer him away from Erwin and point him towards someone like Taylor, someone who you can identify as "Oldham" but again he might not be here in 4 weeks time.

Its such a shame nowadays that kids don't have that player or players who you know you can get on the back of your shirt because they will be here for the foreseeable. 

I think a club like Oldham needs these players who you remember as an adult as being "Oldham" Taylor fits this bill!

2 hours ago, celliott83 said:

Chris Taylor raises a point that myself and my brother have been discussing for a while

He has a 5 year old son who all of a sudden has decided that he only wants to wear a Latics shirt and his favourite player is Lee Erwin. My response is you have to steer him away from Erwin and point him towards someone like Taylor, someone who you can identify as "Oldham" but again he might not be here in 4 weeks time.

Its such a shame nowadays that kids don't have that player or players who you know you can get on the back of your shirt because they will be here for the foreseeable. 

I think a club like Oldham needs these players who you remember as an adult as being "Oldham" Taylor fits this bill!

Great post, this is so true and even more important for small clubs....we need a few to stick around and be players that youngsters grow up with....a core of 7-10 players who stay long term and then add quality each year....I think there are signs that we might now do that but probably only if Shez stays

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely dire today. Really pissed me off after today's performance. It sometimes winds me up the treatmant he gets off Oldham fans but today was pathetic, zero effort. I wouldn't be in a rush to sign him, he'd be a big earner and we can get as good for a lot less ie Tope.

3 minutes ago, daniel said:

Absolutely dire today. Really pissed me off after today's performance. It sometimes winds me up the treatmant he gets off Oldham fans but today was pathetic, zero effort. I wouldn't be in a rush to sign him, he'd be a big earner and we can get as good for a lot less ie Tope.

100% agree, no heart, no desire, no urgency and zero influence. It sounds harsh but he's offered precious little since he returned. Wouldn't want him for free Oldham lad or not he's not good enough. 

I didn't go today but he's not really been instrumental in any of the wins I've seen since he's been back.

He used to be this fearless winger who could run at players with the ball, go down the line and cross or cut in and shoot. Either way he was capable of match winning performances either by chipping in with a couple of goals or setting them up.

He's just not the player he was, that raw hunger has gone and he's slowed down physically too. 

For the wage he'd be on, I'd pass on signing him. 

When Bolton chuck him in favour of Phil Morais then something ain't right

Edited by PlayItLivo

If the summer goes well (as per Corney's video..) then next season we should be a different team - not in terms of personnel, but in terms of the way we approach games. Since Shez has come in, it's generally been about scrapping for points to get us over the line - next year I'm hopeful we'll kick-on.

We know Shez, generally, likes to play attacking football and Taylor, back to something resembling his best after a pre-season, could be central to that.  Give him a 12-month deal, I say.

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

How he starts week in week out is beyond me, Flynns days must be numbered if Taylor is keeping him out, at least Flynn chipped in with the odd goal and affected the odd game Taylor offers nothing.

I  think Taylor offered more protection defensively, but that wasn't the case today.