Taylor Signs

Guest davidshaw

Would be interesting to know what fans think about the possibility of keeping CT here next season. Personally, disappointed with him and think money could be spent much more wisely than his wages. Based on his performances to date, I cannot understand why Flynn is not ahead of him selection wise. 

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, davidshaw said:

Would be interesting to know what fans think about the possibility of keeping CT here next season. Personally, disappointed with him and think money could be spent much more wisely than his wages. Based on his performances to date, I cannot understand why Flynn is not ahead of him selection wise. 

Flynn would be a shit left back.

Cannot make my mind up on Taylor.

Yesterday he was clearly playing a wing-back role, as was McLaughlin, being a full-back when required and a wide option when going forward.  In defensive positions, he could not be faulted - very solid, good positionally and read the game well.

However, compared to his counterpart on the other side, I felt he was lacking offensively.  Rarely looking for the ball, and made very few attacking interventions in the game.

Taylor was, and still is in my mind, an attacking player - and that is what we need.

It might be him, it might be instructions from JS (but McLaughlin is managing to attack), but he has not delivered.

Next season? Depends on what we want from him, and what else we could get for the same money.  I'd imagine you pay more for a good attacking wide player than you do a defensive midfielder - as long as we are getting what we pay for if keep him.

To me it looks like his legs have gone, doesn't have the pace of old so has to play with his head and keep a position... He rarely bursts into a sprint anymore.

He created a number of clear chances v Oxford and the forwards failed to take any of them.  He fairly comfortable on the ball and his passing is above average for the team. playing as a wingback isn't going to suit him he doesn't have the raw pace of old and when he left Gerrard exposed in the first half we could have been in trouble. 

Hes been solid rather than spectacular and I imagine he will be here next season.

Just now, bluehobbit said:

To me it looks like his legs have gone, doesn't have the pace of old so has to play with his head and keep a position... He rarely bursts into a sprint anymore.

He created a number of clear chances v Oxford and the forwards failed to take any of them.  He fairly comfortable on the ball and his passing is above average for the team. playing as a wingback isn't going to suit him he doesn't have the raw pace of old and when he left Gerrard exposed in the first half we could have been in trouble. 

Hes been solid rather than spectacular and I imagine he will be here next season.

This for me. Also, because he plays to his current strengths he can appear slightly lacking in appetite. He definitely paces himself throughout the game. Sadly not the player he once was but then he is an old bloke nowadays...

Doesnt help him that the Centre mid is Fane (who cant pass) and Banks who looks right every time, as you have both Green and Mclaughlin there. Taylor on the left doesnt have the support Mclaughlin has. He does however have a miles better delivery than anyone else on the team, and I still have no idea why he isnt on all free kicks and corners and Banks is!

1 hour ago, youngen said:

Doesnt help him that the Centre mid is Fane (who cant pass) and Banks who looks right every time, as you have both Green and Mclaughlin there. Taylor on the left doesnt have the support Mclaughlin has. He does however have a miles better delivery than anyone else on the team, and I still have no idea why he isnt on all free kicks and corners and Banks is!

Sorry but disagree about fane his game has improved massively as has his distribution recently. He is driving with the ball a lot more than he was. Taylor to me shirks defensive responsibility and definitely costs us in a lot of games. If his delivery In crossing wasn't as good as it is he would be starting for me. 

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Sadly not the player he once was but then he is an old bloke nowadays...

He is just 30. He should have a bit left in the tank really. Not sure on keeping him but doubt he'll have plenty of offers anyway.

Taylor cruises through games doing the minimum, okay he puts the odd ball in but is he really any better than Flynn who it appears must of shagged Shez's  missus to be not getting a look in, I think the unlucky one is Obadeyi, how Taylor is keeping him out of the team is beyone me. After the first half on Saturday how Taylor stayed on is a mystery, he left Gerrard one on one a few times because he couldn't be arsed tucking in and doing his wing back duties, thankfully someone had a word with him at half time and it didn't cost us, Taylor for me isn't as good defensively or offensively compared to McLaughlin there really is no comparison.

Edited by yarddog73

59 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Taylor cruises through games doing the minimum, okay he puts the odd ball in but is he really any better than Flynn who it appears must of shagged Shez's  missus to be not getting a look in, I think the unlucky one is Obadeyi, how Taylor is keeping him out of the team is beyone me. After the first half on Saturday how Taylor stayed on is a mystery, he left Gerrard one on one a few times because he couldn't be arsed tucking in and doing his wing back duties, thankfully someone had a word with him at half time and it didn't cost us, Taylor for me isn't as good defensively or offensively compared to McLaughlin there really is no comparison.

You'd play Tope or Flynn as a left wing back ahead of Taylor?

2 hours ago, Stagger Lee said:

It only seems a month or so ago we all turned on BP1960 for suggesting Taylor was not the player he used to be - now most people are agreeing with him.

BP was slating him I felt. He's not the same marauding winger. That doesn't mean he brings nothing to the party. I'd like to see him in instead of Banks. If he can play the through balls like against oxford (?) a couple of times a game, he'd be doing well for us. I think he's good enough to be a wellens type for us. I also like him in the number 10 role. I might be in the minority but I'd like to see him signed up. 

BP gave his opinion and was slated, one I have to say I agreed with and Taylor has done little to change my opinion.

He gets off lightly from most of our fans because he's one of our own which I get but if you look at his performances as a whole he's been very disappointing.

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

BP gave his opinion and was slated, one I have to say I agreed with and Taylor has done little to change my opinion.

He gets off lightly from most of our fans because he's one of our own which I get but if you look at his performances as a whole he's been very disappointing.

Fair enough. 

I feel he is being asked to do a job that is not really suited to him and still doing ok. We all see the game differently I suppose. 

Guest davidshaw

Interesting comments - he's clearly divided opinion!  If there was no past history with him and if he was not a nice Oldham lad (which he undoubtedly is), would we be happy with his contribution as a "new signing"? I certainly wouldn't and if we try and get him for next season I think it would be a mistake. Some have commented on his defensive capability from a wing back position - have I missed them because he looks appalling to me defensively? His strength in the past (although always thought rather exaggerated by some) was in his forward thrusts - they have largely disappeared from his game now. A Bolton fan I know well says many of their fans regard him as a very poor signing; considered a total "bottle merchant".

He won't be cheap - surely better value elsewhere?

Probably not done enough to be kept on next season, especially as he'll be on big wages, but he's done alright for us. Especially the last couple of weeks as a wing back, which I'm guessing he's rarely, if ever, played at. He's disciplined and intelligent, and has moments of quality going forward. He's got Gerrard behind him, who's definitely not a natural when the ball goes wide, so Taylor has to be wary. 

Would be interested to see him get a go in the middle (although not in the current system, don't think he'd fit), but as a #10.