Wheater - disappointing so far?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I didn't think Lacovitti played too badly last night. Certainly improving. 

Thought he was awful personally. Shocking with the ball at his feet. Unwilling to challenge for headers and his positioning was poor. 

Wheaters positioning was poor also hasn’t got the pace to play the high line he wants. Fage is wasted at left back and struggled there. Whole back line including the keeper look a bag of nerves with any pressure. 

1 hour ago, adamoafc said:

Thought he was awful personally. Shocking with the ball at his feet. Unwilling to challenge for headers and his positioning was poor. 

Wheaters positioning was poor also hasn’t got the pace to play the high line he wants. Fage is wasted at left back and struggled there. Whole back line including the keeper look a bag of nerves with any pressure. 

Far worse was Hamer, who is letting opponents go past him easily. He is often turned and needs to work on closing down better.

He's young and a wholehearted player, but not improving certain aspects of defending.

This is something the coach should be aware of though I'd have thought.

37 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Far worse was Hamer, who is letting opponents go past him easily. He is often turned and needs to work on closing down better.

He's young and a wholehearted player, but not improving certain aspects of defending.

Said it time and time again, he’s extremely overrated, he’s okay in the air but positionally awful. 

57 minutes ago, ShireBlue said:

What is it, 33 players in the squad? And we’re debating having Fage or Nepo at left back and Branger-Engone up front. It’s bonkers.

Stuff OEC, FLG etc, this is the question I want answering in detail

”What is your recruitment strategy?”

At moment it’s flood the squad with rubbish and end result is the majority of squad not capable enough to start yet we’re then playing players out of position to compensate.

If it was the manager who had signed these rather than the owners brother, they’d be sacked games ago.

It stinks & is for the Lemsagam’s benefit rather than the club 

1 hour ago, Midsblue said:

Stuff OEC, FLG etc, this is the question I want answering in detail

”What is your recruitment strategy?”

At moment it’s flood the squad with rubbish and end result is the majority of squad not capable enough to start yet we’re then playing players out of position to compensate.

If it was the manager who had signed these rather than the owners brother, they’d be sacked games ago.

It stinks & is for the Lemsagam’s benefit rather than the club 

How so... exactly?

If Sheridan was here and used his incredible charisma to bring in Wheater, Eagles, Morais and probably Egert,  people here would be all over him with praise.  How do those signing benefit AL and ML?  

1 minute ago, kowenicki said:

How so... exactly?

If Sheridan was here and used his incredible charisma to bring in Wheater, Eagles, Morais and probably Egert,  people here would be all over him with praise.  How do those signing benefit AL and ML?  

No, just Shucky....!

Most people were calling it right to get rid of Shez when we did. That takes absolutely nothing from what he achieved for us though.
None of the players mentioned have even proven themselves head and shoulders above our squad  never mind someone other teams would want.
Egert though? Who was raving over him? Anyone doing that needs to go on several lists.

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

He gets absolutely no support, not ideal for him when still a young player. Central midfielders very rarely cover the full backs and the wingers are non existent when defending, so hes left one on one a lot. The moment he goes forward hes exposed, and unfortunately thats quite a lot right now. Fages pace has bailed him out a couple of times, but same for him.

3 minutes ago, singe said:

No, just Shucky....!

Most people were calling it right to get rid of Shez when we did. That takes absolutely nothing from what he achieved for us though.
None of the players mentioned have even proven themselves head and shoulders above our squad  never mind someone other teams would want.
Egert though? Who was raving over him? Anyone doing that needs to go on several lists.

ok then...

Just now, youngen said:

He gets absolutely no support, not ideal for him when still a young player. Central midfielders very rarely cover the full backs and the wingers are non existent when defending, so hes left one on one a lot. The moment he goes forward hes exposed, and unfortunately thats quite a lot right now. Fages pace has bailed him out a couple of times, but same for him.

Yes.  Anyone could see that is the problem... except a scout apparently.  Hamer has been getting forward much more this season and he is hopelessly exposed when he does as there is simply no cover.  I assume he is under instruction to get forward, so to blame him for that is a bit harsh.

47 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

If Sheridan was here and used his incredible charisma to bring in Wheater, Eagles, Morais and probably Egert,  people here would be all over him with praise.  

I don't think that's true at all. Shez did well at recruiting players that the squad needed, and a lot of his best ones were pretty much unheard of. Bloke made redundant down the road, retired bloke who was good when arsed 8 years ago, reasonable bloke who used to play for us running down the clock in his playing career and a bloke with one leg would not have had us jumping for joy under Shez. 

16 minutes ago, leeslover said:

I don't think that's true at all. Shez did well at recruiting players that the squad needed, and a lot of his best ones were pretty much unheard of. Bloke made redundant down the road, retired bloke who was good when arsed 8 years ago, reasonable bloke who used to play for us running down the clock in his playing career and a bloke with one leg would not have had us jumping for joy under Shez. 

Made redundant down the road...  ha.  You're trying too hard pal.

48 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Yes.  Anyone could see that is the problem... except a scout apparently.  Hamer has been getting forward much more this season and he is hopelessly exposed when he does as there is simply no cover.  I assume he is under instruction to get forward, so to blame him for that is a bit harsh.

No complaints about him getting forward more often but his final ball is usually poor and he's unwilling to shoot ( join the club ). 

Whether it's shuffling the back four too often and/or a lack of midfield cover for him I don't think he's progressed much since his debut.

I realize he's only 20 but don't see as much improvement as I expected.

Hopefully he will progress but at present he's way behind an Eardley ( who saw too much of the ball in his spell with us ) or Makin ( who was played out of position at left back ) at the same stage in their careers.

He's well worth his place but I think some of our supporters are getting a bit carried away with his ability or even potential.

9 hours ago, kowenicki said:

How so... exactly?

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

Equally bad descriptions.  Piss poor hyperbole that is the norm here now. 

Aye

No winding up involved, genuinely interested in what people think, especially the itk’ers;

1) is he the highest paid player in the league

2) is he earning north of 8k a week

3) are Bolton or any other team paying a percentage so they can take him in jan

4) is Marco pocketing at least 50% of that jan sell on.

i think yes to all of the above but happy to be educated.

On 9/21/2019 at 3:40 AM, Clubfootkilkenny said:

No winding up involved, genuinely interested in what people think, especially the itk’ers;

1) I'd presume he's probably not far off however there are teams in the league who have "bigger budgets" so hard to compare.

2) He's not on north of 8k a week. I am led to believe (could be wrong but sounds round about right) that he's on 4.5k a week. However, he received something like 100k signing on fee which if split over 52 weeks puts Wheater on just shy of 6.5k a week.

3) No, Bolton are not paying any percentage towards him and they are not after him back

4) No idea. Presuming not but wouldn't say with any certainty

3 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

1) I'd presume he's probably not far off however there are teams in the league who have "bigger budgets" so hard to compare.

2) He's not on north of 8k a week. I am led to believe (could be wrong but sounds round about right) that he's on 4.5k a week. However, he received something like 100k signing on fee which if split over 52 weeks puts Wheater on just shy of 6.5k a week.

3) No, Bolton are not paying any percentage towards him and they are not after him back

4) No idea. Presuming not but wouldn't say with any certainty

And so another OWTB FACT is born...

Just now, TheBigDog said:

This is rumour yes. Until I have seen anything in front of me, I wouldn't believe it to be FACT or claim it to be (I haven't) 

Doesn't sound too unreasonable for a centre back we were desperate to sign to be honest. Do you think it is?

Also, I'm at least having the "decency" to try and reply to the poster who posed questions :) 

On 9/21/2019 at 3:40 AM, Clubfootkilkenny said:

1. doubt it.

2. doubt it, but possible.

3. no.

4. no idea.

Not sure how 3 could be yes?   Are you suggesting the Bolton administrators agreed a deal to pay some of his wages, after his contract was terminated, prior to the takeover being completed?  Indeed, it was at a time when it looked like the deal may not happen at all.

49 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

47 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

1. This is rumour yes. Until I have seen anything in front of me, I wouldn't believe it to be FACT or claim it to be (I haven't) 

2. Doesn't sound too unreasonable for a centre back we were desperate to sign to be honest. Do you think it is?

3. Also, I'm at least having the "decency" to try and reply to the poster who posed questions :) 

1. That’s why it’s an OWTB FACT - something that starts out as a rumour or hearsay and is quickly adopted by many as gospel..*

2. I have no idea what we would pay a centre back of the calibre, age and experience of Wheater so cannot comment to be honest.

3. Again, if I don’t know then I would simply say so rather than try and reply. I’d let the ITK Lads answer...😀

(*)  In a couple of weeks I’ll be down the pub chatting about Latics and someone will say “that Wheater is on 4.5k per week” to be quickly corrected by someone else saying “nah...he’s on 8k minimum” 

Archived