It's a big shame that Pete Winkleman moved the football club to MK, but really Wimbledon didn't deserve a football team....6k in the prem (even as low as 4k one night) is :censored:e.

As for all this tradition baloney, well Wimbledon had about as much tradition and history as Wigan.

Wimbledon FC had a glorious history, topped by winning the F.A. Cup against MK Dave's team Liverpool.

I covered this on a previous thread:

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;hl=patrimony

Everyone as to start their history sometime.

That's true and MKD have now won promotion and a trophy at Wembley.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a right funny situation for sure, however you look at it...

I don't know how many fans they'll bring on Saturday, but I'm pretty sure it'll be more than the 88 and 75 they had the first 2 times we played them...

And it isn't as if I'll feel anger towards them or anything, I don't know, maybe I'll just be bemused.

In some ways I think they're "better" than plastic "Yoo-nar-ted" fans who've never been to a game, as they've taken the plunge to support a lower league side and travel to an away game miles away, but then in other ways... I just don't know.

An odd situation really.

That's true and MKD have now won promotion and a trophy at Wembley.

But they've won this in a league where everyone else feels they should not have been given the oppportunity to start from.

I cant help but wonder, would all the MK dons fans have supported his team if they were playing in the Blue Square South league?

For me supporting Oldham is in my blood for life and if back in the dark times had we had gone to the wall and we were playing as AFC Oldham from the very bottom league, I know I'd still be a supporter. I'm Oldham till I die.

Edited by 3 Lions

In all honesty fellas, I don't know the ages of MK Dave's kids but they possibly won't know the ins and outs of all this. To them it's just like us growing up watching the Latics, they don't care about the history thing just 'when Saturday comes'. I suppose if I lived somewhere where there was not really any league teams of worth I'd probably go to the games if Wankleman turned up with a club.

In all honesty fellas, I don't know the ages of MK Dave's kids but they possibly won't know the ins and outs of all this. To them it's just like us growing up watching the Latics, they don't care about the history thing just 'when Saturday comes'. I suppose if I lived somewhere where there was not really any league teams of worth I'd probably go to the games if Wankleman turned up with a club.

"Daddy, why do all those men hate us?" - "Unfortunately son, you were born a Jew in 1930's Berlin. I know you don't understand, but some people need to hate someone".

"Daddy, why do all those men hate us?" - "Unfortunately son, you were born in Milton Keynes and MK Dons are your local club. I know you don't understand, but some people need to hate someone".

The FA and Winkleman should be the targets of vitriol for their disgraceful disregard of tradition - not the town or supporters who just want to see league football. The way the FA and FL are running things we are lucky to still have football teams.

Will our pack animals turn on another innocent bunch of fans who are helping increase our income, like they did against Morecambe?

Just the 3 points for me on Saturday - the politics of it are history.

"Daddy, why do all those men hate us?" - "Unfortunately son, you were born a Jew in 1930's Berlin. I know you don't understand, but some people need to hate someone".

"Daddy, why do all those men hate us?" - "Unfortunately son, you were born in Milton Keynes and MK Dons are your local club. I know you don't understand, but some people need to hate someone".

The FA and Winkleman should be the targets of vitriol for their disgraceful disregard of tradition - not the town or supporters who just want to see league football. The way the FA and FL are running things we are lucky to still have football teams.

Will our pack animals turn on another innocent bunch of fans who are helping increase our income, like they did against Morecambe?

Yep, this is my stance also. I fear another afternoon of frolicks for no reason with the visitors and the stewards awaits...

I'm not sure where I stand on this one - Wimbledon council(Merton? LL You'll know this) repeatedly refused to allow Wimbledon to either purchase a new ground or develop Plough Lane to allow the club to have a home. They were pernnial nomads, tenants at Selhurst with no ground prospects so viewing our frustration with Oldham council I can understand the decision to move the club. There may have been no club with the financial situation at Wimbledon.

Is moving Nort to MK any worse than moving South to Croydon as it's still not Wimbledon or even in the same borough.

AFC Wimbledon have done well but how far they can go when ground development issues arise as they move up through the leagues?

As for MK its not a horrible town and its surrounding countryside is as nice rurally as most places in the UK, the biggest issue in my mind is whether the club or town could just inherit a football club or whether they should have been positioned in the pyramid and earned the right to play in the FL not whether they should exist?

Any thoughts?

I hate Wigan, but they have the right to be where they are, MK Dongs do not.

After the way Wigan got elected to the Football League in the place of Boston due to Springfield Park laughingly being a better ground, I dispute one of those statements. I guess things get forgotten in time though - as will the MkDonalds thing.

:shock:

Not the same in any way mate.

Just leave the innocent supporters out of it, was the point I was making.

The last thing we need is more complaints from away fans.

in an ideal world they would have had to qualify from the blue square or another non league league,but it wasnt there's or the fans fault that they didnt.

like has been said his kids havent got a clue,they just want to watch football,maybe when there old enough to understand they will understand why some people have this problem with them.

this could so easily have been us 5 years ago without the aid of tta's,the club could of been wound up and the council could of sold the ground,afc oldham could have been playing from somewhere like ashton or droylsden and im pretty certain if we had gone down that option and tried to keep our league status we would be held in the same contempt as what mk dons are now.

its the fa's and fl's fault.and i just hope that we dont have any nasty situations again on saturday with the visiting fans who are putting much needed money into our club,if differences of opinion cant be put aside for 90 minutes then whats the point.

spot on about the fans, its not their fault. its winkleman and the fa.

:unsure:

A couple of counter-alternatives

"Now listen son, we support another football team because MK Dons are an evil creation of an evil man."

"Now listen son, we are giving up on this Judaism lark because..."

A bit different... I don't actually think there will be any more animosity than there was towards Cheltenham, because our muppets aren't clever enough to appreciate the issues, but Winkleman wouldn't have got away with it (so far) if fans weren't willing to go along with his club-stealing antics.

There may be some hypocrisy on this. How many on here were advocating moving to Ashton because of Oldham Councils stance on the ground development. Not the same distance, but the same principle.

For me, I agree Merton council were at fault, along with the FA/FL for allowing it. but what is done is done. I just wish they would take the Dons name out.

It's a slippery slope, with Rugby now adopting the franchise element. how long before the Prem try?

I've never thought to ask, has the option of moving areas, and no promo ore relegation been stopped or could it happen again?

Edited by singe

MK Dons should have been made to work their way up yes but whats done is done. I think if I lived in MK i would most definitely go and watch them. Just like I would go and watch a league team if it was plonked in the small town I grew up in so you cant really have ago at the fans.

People mentioned history but im sure if you look (correct me if I'm wrong) back at the supporting habbits of people over time, earlier generations would go and watch different football league teams in the area depending on success or even who was at home etc. The Man United fan at work says both his grandads used to watch both City and United, and my dad and his mates used to watch Workington in the early 60s until Carlisle had a bit of success.

Just leave the innocent supporters out of it, was the point I was making.

The last thing we need is more complaints from away fans.

They're not comparable situations though are they? MK are hated because they stole a club and move it from the people who lived and breathed it for their whole lives, to a brand new city who according to Winkelman had some sort of right to jump in at the second from top layer of the pyramid.

I'm not going to patronise you and go through why the Jews were hated, and ultimately killed en masse in the worst atrocity ever committed on this planet...I really didn't like your comment but I know there was no harm meant...it's just that the two situations are world's apart...

You can't dislike the kids who of course, don't understand the history of it.

However, the parents who would have probably followed someone else even though they lived in MK before the Dons arrived, should know better. The town's acceptance of the team and its success is a worrying precedent as foreign owners come in and look to maximise their profits, regardless of how they do it.

Will it not be the kids who mither their parents to take them though? These parents who are more than likely exiles who support another team possibly 100's of miles away.

It6 is not practicle for these people to truck their families across the county every weekend for traditions sake, and what if they were plonked in conference south as Ed has suggested...which innocent team suffers then?

In no way do I condone what has happened to Wimbledon and the MK saga but as a latics fan it does not bother me one jot, yes we could have been in a similar position but I feel that our support is better than the poor showing that Wimbledon had and we simply would not allow that.

All I care about is whether or not we beat who we play on Saturday, gain three points and cement ourselves to the top of the table. Whether it be Arsenal, Wigan, MK Dons whoever.

I've never thought to ask, has the option of moving areas, and no promo ore relegation been stopped or could it happen again?

I believe a franchised premier league will be the next big move in football. Similar to the NFL in America, there will be no need for an FA any longer and as a result possibly no international team.

Football's now all about the money, I suppose it has been for a long time. All the big clubs want to protect their interests and therefore the opportunity to create a franchise league will be too strong for many to resits.

Back on topic - I feel completely indifferent about MK Dons. Perhaps I should care but I just can't muster the interest.

Edited by Armchair

:unsure:

A couple of counter-alternatives

"Now listen son, we support another football team because MK Dons are an evil creation of an evil man."

"Now listen son, we are giving up on this Judaism lark because..."

A bit different...

That just doesn't make any sense to me. But then again, I'm fick.

I agree, elements will get involved in ignorance, and I said it earlier on - there'll be the usual crowd giving it the lemon anyway - so it'll be business as usual in the Rocky this weekend.

But I hope that those who should know better, realise the fans are only supporting a team that's been given to them to support. Little Johnny has never heard of the Crazy Gang, or Dave Beasants FA Cup heroics - he supports MKD, hopes that'll they'll win and will hopefully go home happy with his Dad after the game.