New Manager Thread

names that stand out from there is simon davey (dont know when his darlo contract runs out and wouldnt be bad imo) and mark cooper from kettering/posh - he cant have been working on a huge budget at kettering and did well enough to be snapped up by posh.

actually, thinking about it, mark cooper is young and although his record at posh wasnt good at all, i reckon he could do a job here and its giving a fairly new manager with a bit of experience who will know the nonleagues a chance.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

names that stand out from there is simon davey (dont know when his darlo contract runs out and wouldnt be bad imo) and mark cooper from kettering/posh - he cant have been working on a huge budget at kettering and did well enough to be snapped up by posh.

actually, thinking about it, mark cooper is young and although his record at posh wasnt good at all, i reckon he could do a job here and its giving a fairly new manager with a bit of experience who will know the nonleagues a chance.

They are two of the silliest suggestions I can think of. Davey went to Darlington what, a month ago? Well, I doubt his contract is that short and Cooper? Achieved very little at Kettering and his appointment to Peterboro was bizarre in the extreme.

It's an untried keen young manager for me.

just throwing names in off the vacant managers list that havnt been said yet.

southgate

coleman

megson

magilton

sturrock

todd

i think the more wages the manager has though the less the playing budget will be. for me it will be 1 of gray, duxbury, gannon or ritchie

I'm sure it's Gannon and I'm guessing we approached him when he told Posh that he wanted to stay in the NW. From the list of managers supplied by Wardle-latic, I can't see any apart from Dowie who could do a job for us. Dowie however will be looking for a job in the Championship unless the money can't be turned down and we are not in a position to do that.

Alan Shearer?

Unlikely cause of the budget but just thought id throw another name into the hat.

Napoleon Bonaparte....unlikely cos he's dead, but just thought id throw another name into the hat. :grin:

We have players on trial..so he's a novel idea.

Why can't we have managers too? If we have alledgedly has 20 enquiries all ready, why can't we trial them all out?

A week in for training, see if they can motivate the team then a trial match?

hell, why can't we do this for the players too?

Why do we have to offer all these, 1yr, 2yr contracts and then have to pay people off if they don't perform

can't we just pay the players/manager on performance, gates per month?

And what happens to all these players we could have mulling over contracts now? Is the rug been pulled out of them or those who have contracts under DP - if the new manager doesn't like is it bye-bye?

I'd have Ince on trial. I'd find him guilty of impersonating a footy manager and send him to the chair.

There are quite a few managers in the non-leagues or coaches (or current/recent senior players) in the upper leagues who are looking to step up to a managerial post at our sort of level. Speed is one (doubt we could afford him though), Butt (ditto- unless he buys the club with the other ginger fella), Holdsworth at Newport, Dean Saunders at Wrexham (might not be available though due to his welsh duties), Mini-Shez (though would you come to the club that treated your brother so badly) etc.

Rob Scott at Boston comes into that category, plus he's an ex Latic.

Wouldn't you like the us against the world attitude. I would. :censored: would be his type of player as well.

No thanks.

From what I saw watching Cheltenham a couple of times this season his attitude is Allen against the world. Also :censored: has a first touch, therefore he has too much footballing ability for Allen to consider him.

My personal preference would be to give someone their first crack at management, someone who wants to make a name for themself as a manager and is willing to work on a budget.

We have tried experience with Talbot, Moore, Royle 2nd Era and Penney, none have worked.

Our two most sucessful managers within the last 10 years, Shez and Dowie, both given their first chance.

Shez having a very rough ride at Chesterfield after 7 points from the last 11 games and blowing play off chance. Still has 2 years to go with the promise of big budget for this season. New stadium this year (Click b2net stadium) will see him with us at least this season. Watch out for some surprise signings.

Shez having a very rough ride at Chesterfield after 7 points from the last 11 games and blowing play off chance. Still has 2 years to go with the promise of big budget for this season. New stadium this year (Click b2net stadium) will see him with us at least this season. Watch out for some surprise signings.

Any chance that he'll be sacked? Coz that's what we're used to here if a manager underachieves in his 1st season.

Not that I want Shez back!

I have heard Ritchie and Bunn could be the new management team. They are good mates and Bunn was sacked by Coventry along with Coleman this week.

Ritchie and Bunn love the club and the fans love them which is also a good base to start with.

But there won't be a big budget so they will have to give the kids a chance and trying to unearth some gems in the transfer market.

Edited by RoyleArmy

just throwing names in off the vacant managers list that havnt been said yet.

southgate

coleman

megson

magiltonsturrock

todd

i think the more wages the manager has though the less the playing budget will be. for me it will be 1 of gray, duxbury, gannon or ritchie

Hadn’t thought of Jim Magilton until I saw this post.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Did relatively well at Ipswich, the QPR thing was a circus behind the scenes; so that really should stand him in very good stead for being our manager!!

Young (ish) and has a point to prove after the Akos Buzaky-Gate at QPR – we might actually be quite an attractive proposition to someone with a point to prove – it you can work (relative) magic here; then you really are a good manager…….

Still think that the club will have to go for a cheap option; & I can see that being Dux.

Hadn’t thought of Jim Magilton until I saw this post.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Did relatively well at Ipswich, the QPR thing was a circus behind the scenes; so that really should stand him in very good stead for being our manager!!

Young (ish) and has a point to prove after the Akos Buzaky-Gate at QPR – we might actually be quite an attractive proposition to someone with a point to prove – it you can work (relative) magic here; then you really are a good manager…….

Still think that the club will have to go for a cheap option; & I can see that being Dux.

what is it with the dux malarky??

Think about it with a business hat on.

small budget but someone who can/is willing to work on that basis and who plays attacking football that will get fans interested.

Dux would not sell season tickets, committed as he was/is.

it could only be: ritchie/bunn, gannon, possibly gary speed going off 'international' names, paul sturrock, simpson, possibly stuart mcCall,

thats all i can think of for now who would be realistic.

gannon and speed would be interesting bets, ritchie/bunn as third choice fall back