Last time we went 4 league games without a goal?

Any Stattos about? Prozac? Not happened in the last ten years (stats I looked at didn't go any further back.) Blimey...if it was last season, there would've been a public beheading of Penney after this! Cue the "at least we're trying to score" lot...I'm all for people being fair on Dickov and not taking something quite worrying so serious (yet)...just find it fickle how some get that privilege because they talk a good'un!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Any Stattos about? Prozac? Not happened in the last ten years (stats I looked at didn't go any further back.) Blimey...if it was last season, there would've been a public beheading of Penney after this! Cue the "at least we're trying to score" lot...I'm all for people being fair on Dickov and not taking something quite worrying so serious (yet)...just find it fickle how some get that privilege because they talk a good'un!

What do you want exactly? I've seen plenty of people on here have been complaining about the lack of goals recently. :huh:

Not really sure what you're getting at here BB80. I think Dickov has earned some goodwill through the football we've played on the budget he's been given. You could look at the chances we've missed in the last four games (pretty much open goals in all of them) and say we could protentially have won them all on chances. Is that Dickov's fault or the players who spunked em? (not that i want a witch hunt of any sort)

Tounkara is never going to be a prolific scorer IMO, Reid still looks unfit and overweight to me and Feeney never ever looks like he is going to score.

That sums up our lack of goals at the present time to me, we have relied heavily on midfield goals all season from Stephens, Furman, Taylor and White.

Stephens has not been playing recently and this has impacted on our midfield goal threat, hence no goals.

Bet you couldnt wait to have a boo , was you bored when we was winning ?

The run that immediately springs to mind is the opening five games of 99/00

PNE (H) L0-1

Stockport (A) L0-2 (LC1 (1)

Brentford (A) L0-2

Burnley (H) L0-1

Oxford (A) L0-1

Before that I remember a similar run in November '87, just before we signed Frankie Bunn

Blackburn (A) L0-1

WBA (H) L0-3 (Simod Cup)

Villa (H) L0-1

Ipswich (A) L0-2

Plymouth (H) L0-1

We've looked like scoring in the previous three, last night we didn't really apart from Morais Worldy shot, and Taylor's header from a corner…Reid and Feeney must never be allowed to play together again….EVER!

Edited by oafcprozac

the difference between penney and dickov is at this point last season penney had managed a side that had lost 8 more games to this one currently sitting higher in the league this season, playing more attracrive football and without checking i would say scoring a lot more goals (correct me if im wrong)

and dont I dont think you find it that fickle you have been waiting to have a moan about dickov since he was appointed because you are upset that he's ex city -you have said it from the beginning but i think you are clutching at straws with this one mate, sorry

Edited by palmer1

the difference between penney and dickov is at this point last season penney had managed a side that had lost 8 more games to this one currently sitting higher in the league this season, playing more attracrive football and without checking i would say scoring a lot more goals (correct me if im wrong)

and dont I dont think you find it that fickle you have been waiting to have a moan about dickov since he was appointed because you are upset that he's ex city -you have said it from the beginning but i think you are clutching at straws with this one mate, sorry

Putting Dickovs City connections aside hes being afforded the benefit of the doubt in this goaless run of games due to the manner he has handled both himself & the side since taking over. For me; hes been a breath of fresh air to the club; and his side try to play football the proper way; unlike Penney last season; or BB80s beloved Ronnie Moore ever did.

The team we have now, on the budget we have; playing the way they have for most of the season will do just fine for me; and many others like me too. If some silly fans who cant get over managers having a previous career with a different club want to start a witch-hunt; I for one wont be joining in with it. SAD.

Edited by slystallone

What exactly is the point of this thread? Are you suggesting we moan at Dickov for us not scoring a goal in 4 games. The reason why nobody is screaming Dickov out is we're 8th in the table playing some good football and we've actually managed to score more than 2 goals in a game this season. I aint been to every game this season but i was more entertained watching the hartlepool game than I was for the entire 2009/2010 season under that nonse.

What a pointless thread.

The point is that bb80 has refused to see the positives in this season and has been expecting the 'fickle' fans to turn on dickov. They haven't, so he's trying to stir up some :censored:.

Though not the original aim of the post, bb80 raises the point that PD is allowed more leeway this season than DP would have been last season.What he has failed to acknowledge is that there is good reason for this. And it's not just because he 'talks a good 'un'.The fans are prepared to give the Dickov more time because he has had a good first season (so far) in management. The team has some decent players and after the dross of last season, he has turned this around. That alone earns him the right to a huge amount of slack.

I know that Dickov is as concerned as the rest of us at the lack of goals recently - but these things happen and can change just as quickly.

So we face a team on Saturday that has conceded 26 goals away from home in 14 games. However they have also scored 19... while we have scored 25 and conceded 19...

So a goalfest is on the cards. Not really - expect a dour 1-0 win.

That would be a move in the right direction - now, where's that prediction league? ^_^

Some cracking catches on here...keep on biting :D

Cheers for the stats Prozac...I had wondered if that was the last time (that Brentford game was a shocker!)

For the record, I'm as happy as a pig in :censored: with this season and Dickovs efforts. Not concerned that much by the current plight as I fully expected it with the youthfulness of the squad, the inconsistency this brings, the winters break and having to catch up on games and burning out. Oh...and it being a very southern league still! I expect us to finish between 10th and 13th by the end...and probably have a few more games where we struggle to score.

But whereas in past seasons others like to jump on ANYTHING they can about a manager, completely unfairly and build up a list of things out of a managers control, it's not happening this season by the majority. How about in future, in tougher times, whoever the manager is and how it's going (unless we're rooted at the bottom which no matter how it's painted, we weren't last season...nor under Uncle Ronnie eh Sly!), the same show of support is afforded rather than dragging the team down as most of ours love to do with a manager they love to hate! Maybe they should actually try to see the real reasons for things happening (ala Abbott getting crocked, over 10 first teamers injured at one point, winter last season)...just like people are doing this season now winter has finally caught up with this young squad (one with far less injuries) this season!

Anyway...as you were...

Edited by boundaryblue80

I wonder what our best ever ex-City players team would be?

Select from I'll kick-off with a 4-3-3

Harry Dowd

Willie Donachie

Kenny Clements

Earl Barrett

Paul Warhurst

Asa Hartford

Tony Henry

Ged Keegan

Roger Palmer

Bert Lister

David Cross

Perhaps someone could comment as to whether they would boo the side if they turned out for us in their prime?

They would, of course, be manged by one BFJ (maybe with Dickov as player-coach)

Paul Futcher, Lee Croft, Colin Barlow

Cheers for the stats Prozac...I had wondered if that was the last time (that Brentford game was a shocker!)

For the record, I'm as happy as a pig in :censored: with this season and Dickovs efforts. Not concerned that much by the current plight as I fully expected it with the youthfulness of the squad, the inconsistency this brings, the winters break and having to catch up on games and burning out. Oh...and it being a very southern league still! I expect us to finish between 10th and 13th by the end...and probably have a few more games where we struggle to score.

But whereas in past seasons others like to jump on ANYTHING they can about a manager, completely unfairly and build up a list of things out of a managers control, it's not happening this season by the majority. How about in future, in tougher times, whoever the manager is and how it's going (unless we're rooted at the bottom which no matter how it's painted, we weren't last season...nor under Uncle Ronnie eh Sly!), the same show of support is afforded rather than dragging the team down as most of ours love to do with a manager they love to hate! Maybe they should actually try to see the real reasons for things happening (ala Abbott getting crocked, over 10 first teamers injured at one point, winter last season)...just like people are doing this season now winter has finally caught up with this young squad (one with far less injuries) this season!

Anyway...as you were...

I think that would have a been a great first post of a thread.....

While we might be struggling at the business end of the pitch, our defence has become a mean thing in the last half dozen games.

3 conceded in 6 games?

That is some record.

Dickov in!

Yeah wonder if people will finally start to give Amos the credit he deserves, he has made excellent saves in each of the last 5 games and his performances have been far more deserving than the 3 points we have gained.

But as always,if you sort one end of the pitch out, it is often to the detriment of the opposite end of the pitch...

Edited by oafcprozac

Anyway...as you were...

I was going to say something along these lines for some time but didn't want to jinx it, so thanks BB80. Suspensions aside we have basically been able to pick our first team for every game this season. Now that Stephens has had mumps, that isn't the case. Most of our big injuries this season have been to fringe players- or players that have become fringe players- Brooke was probably a first teamer when he got injured, so was Gregan. Mvoto would be a fringe player in the squad now as we signed Trotman.

Last season we had numerous players miss large chunks of the season, who were first teamers at the time of the start of the injury. I reckon Purdie would have been playing regularly under Penney- by the virtue he was his first signing and he had a squad number of 10.

I'm happy Penney has gone, don't get me wrong, but not because he was as bad as some have made out, it is mainly the idea that perhaps one of biggest assets is now the manager (and his assistant).

Yeah wonder if people will finally start to give Amos the credit he deserves, he has made excellent saves in each of the last 5 games and his performances have been far more deserving than the 3 points we have gained.

But as always,if you sort one end of the pitch out, it is often to the detriment of the opposite end of the pitch...

I've not seen too much bad mouthing of Amos, its a pity he is highly unlikely to be coming back. But there are plenty of other players like him around in Premier League clubs- Arsenal's Polish goalie, who has played a reasonable amount this season was on loan at Brentford for a lot of last season.

I am like BB80 in that I am inclined to support a manager long after many have turned on them. Hindsight is a wonderful thing of course:

We may have progressed with Uncle Ronald, or we may have carried on seeing talented players wasting their skills and boring the :censored: out of us until a new manager was prepared to let them play - similar to Penney/Dickov in a few ways.

I always felt for Talbot, he had a huge wage bill full of turds and I bet he would have loved a clean slate with a fair wedge like Ronnie got.

Shez is a legend, and brought great football for a period, but his weaknesses as a manager are there for all to see.

I would have preferred to see more support from the fans for previous managers - but when they go it's usally because things have gone to :censored:. Dickov has the scope to be our best for a fair while, and a lot of people back, hence we can take the odd hammering or crap spell. We aren't as daft as we seem :)