starting an ultra

In principal, what a fantastic idea. I think that calling it an ultra group and trying to give it a name will lead to people dissing the idea but it sounds like all you really want is for as many people as possible to turn up and sing their hearts out.

The atmosphere at BP is somewhere between non-existant and shocking. Anything that can be done to improve it can only be a good thing.

I've advocated a singing section for years and know from past experience that the club are wary of it because they know that people will stand in this section. Because of that it will be difficult for anything to be made official but that doesn't stop it being done informally.

It only takes a hundred or so fans to make an atmosphere good enough that eventually most people will join in with. The secret is to be persistant. Sing your songs and don't worry if nobody joins in for five minutes, ten minutes or even half an hour. Eventually they will.

I also believe that if the atmosphere improves, gates will improve too. There will be kids (and bug kids too) who can't be bothered at the moment who might just change their mind if they hear that there is fun to be had at BP.

Agree with all of that.

It's a real shame that it's come to this - trying to get an atmosphere organised through a messageboard...I dislike the orchestrated, unoriginal, ultra type of atmosphere found on the continent BUT I hope it starts something off at BP.

For me, it was the atmosphere that got me interested in going to BP, more than the actual game of football. I'd always loved football, but being part of a massive mental chanting crowd I loved more for some reason. Clinging to the freezing cold metal pitch perimeter fence in the Chaddy whilst not having a clue where your dad/step-dad/uncle etc was stood, stood exposed to the elements on the concrete open Rochdale Road End terrace, or sat squashed in behind the advertising hoardings in the Lookers Paddock - doesn't sound like something a youngster should enjoy, but when you're in amongst the noise and buzz of a mental and unpredictable crowd, it's something unique.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with all of that.

It's a real shame that it's come to this - trying to get an atmosphere organised through a messageboard...I dislike the orchestrated, unoriginal, ultra type of atmosphere found on the continent BUT I hope it starts something off at BP.

For me, it was the atmosphere that got me interested in going to BP, more than the actual game of football. I'd always loved football, but being part of a massive mental chanting crowd I loved more for some reason. Clinging to the freezing cold metal pitch perimeter fence in the Chaddy whilst not having a clue where your dad/step-dad/uncle etc was stood, stood exposed to the elements on the concrete open Rochdale Road End terrace, or sat squashed in behind the advertising hoardings in the Lookers Paddock - doesn't sound like something a youngster should enjoy, but when you're in amongst the noise and buzz of a mental and unpredictable crowd, it's something unique.

well thats what were hoping to bring to bp on monday, just to prove it can work, and then hopefully it will bring something great

I wouldn't attack anyone for giving something a go to make an improvement. flagman should be ready for things not to go as planned from the off, Rome wasn't built in a day. it's not for me but there is enough space at bp for us not to let our differences divide us

I know that orchestrated ultra style support is anaethema to many English fans buthere is no way old style English vocal support is ever going to make a comeback whilst terracing is considered a bad thing by those in power. With that in mind the only way that anything approaching the 'good old days' (minus the face punching) can be recreated is if fans organise which leads us back to the ultras.

I was at Palace a while back and was sat up behind their ultras, I was part torn between Olde English scorn at such a carry on and realising that they were driving the atmosphere of the whole ground. While a small minority of those in attendance their chants were carried around the whole ground. The atmosphere was far more electric than anything you'd normally expect nowadays and it was all down to them. There was a Palace fan behind me who spent a fair amount of time standing up shouting that they were all w'kers which goes to show that some feel extremely strongly the other way.

A lot of people seem to think that because it's the 'ultra movement' that means just singing Italian songs, slashing people's buttocks and throwing flaming scooters about. Wrong - all an English Ultra group has to have in common with it's Italian, German, or wherever counterparts is it's organised nature and making some bloody noise.

Go on the Oldham Ultras, you'll get stick, abuse, be laughed at but if you keep at it you can be a tremendous force for good.

Edited by help_shiny

Hats off to you for trying - I applaud you efforts.

If it doesn't get going as you'd like then don't give up - keep at it.

Whilst it's true it won't be to everyone's taste, the place needs injecting with whatever atmosphere it can and it strikes me as a much more honest and creditworthy campaign than one or two other orchestrated efforts of late.

(And that's from someone too old and child laden to get involved in this kind of thing)

Edited by Twisbrogan

Ill be going in the Chaddy for this now, to get as many people involved as possible I would recommend using the tried and tested Oldham songs that everyone knows the words to at first, like OWTB, Paul Dickov's Blue and White army etc that way more people throughout the stand will hopefully join in.

were doing it to have fun!

It doesnt matter if you see a bigger picture or not - your fun can hopefully kick start the atmosphere at Latics, get more people through the gate, increase the atmosphere again etc etc.

As leeslover said above Rome wont be built in a day so if your sense of fun wavers from time to time dont give up. Your work & misery will be for everyone elses benefit ;-)

Well hopefully the " crew" will try next time in the rre, got to admit, apart from the result, it was great, the 2 young manure fans with me were jumping up and down and joining in the easy to follow songs, they seemed to really enjoy it. Am taking them next game hopefully in the rre. Bad result but let's carry this on. Up the athletico's.